Noisy motorbikes on darkside

rocky123

17 hours ago, Pungdo said:

I like to call them 100cc Harleys, they remove the baffles and the damn things make damn near as much noise as a lot of Harleys.

I reckon Thais are all stone deaf, everything has to be at a gazillion decibels before they are happy.

No hyperbole at all in your second paragraph eh?

I find it bewildering that so many people have the gall to come and live in another country 000's of kms from their homeland, and spend so much of their waking life castigating and denigrating the natives for all manner of pathetic small minded little issues.

17 hours ago, rocky123 said:

Try sitting on the terrace of the sports bar, Koh Noi, you have to stop mid conversation with the din every 2 min or less. If u like the motor racing track, sit there for a while, you will love it. "I dont"

I find it annoying that motorbike shop across the road that revs the pisser out of the scooters, for what purpose I don't but they do it often and hold the scooter bouncing the limiter for way too long.

32 minutes ago, Fulwell53 said:

I find it bewildering that so many people have the gall to come and live in another country 000's of kms from their homeland, and spend so much of their waking life castigating and denigrating the natives for all manner of pathetic small minded little issues.

Get used to being bewildered.

2 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

I'm with you Fulwell53. And I've said as much several times on these forums . I think it's a hobby for many of these folks. Well.......... Keeps them off the streets.

I'm hoping I can adapt well enough to continue being happy and feeling freer in this beautiful country. I'm not trolling here. I like the country and I like the people. It is incumbent on me to adapt; not the Thai people.

If they changed to suit farang I probably wouldn't want to be here.

Edited by RocketDog
Additional thought

On 5/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, Pungdo said:

I like to call them 100cc Harleys, they remove the baffles and the damn things make damn near as much noise as a lot of Harleys.

I reckon Thais are all stone deaf, everything has to be at a gazillion decibels before they are happy.

My Thai BIL bought his son a special muffler that made the bike sound louder.

Bikes are the least of it- trucks and cars with the big tail pipes are a pain in the ear. Ever been to the beach? The stupid long tail boat drivers won't install mufflers on the engines, hence the noise level on any tourist beach is excruciating.

I once stayed on Lamai, and had a fishing boat without a muffler take a very long and slow trip across the bay after midnight.

I could go on, but you get the idea- Thailand does not have any enforced noise regulations, and they love to make noise.

On 5/9/2017 at 7:28 AM, Fulwell53 said:

I take it you enjoy noise at levels that cause pain at all hours of the night?

Such behaviour is not normal for any race of people, it's just that Thais know there is no use complaining as nothing will be done about it. That doesn't mean that they approve of it.

On 08/05/2017 at 2:09 PM, Dexlowe said:

I've heard the odd noisy bike, but not to the extent that the OP is indicating. 

I stopped at the Starlight bar last night for a  feed on the way home and the procession of noisy bikes and pick-ups was never ending so I quickly shoveled my meal down so I could get the heck outta there.

Lesson learn't and I'll never eat there again.

Edited by Don Mega

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I stopped at the Starlight bar last night for a  feed on the way home and the procession of noisy bikes and pick-ups was never ending so I quickly shoveled my meal down so I could get the heck outta there.

Lesson learn't and I'll never eat there again.

That stretch of road tends to be a bit of a drag strip.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

That stretch of road tends to be a bit of a drag strip.

Yup. That stretch going downhill from Murphy's is all you need to discover why so many young Thais die on the road each year. 

That exact piece of road is where I decided to stop riding at night on the Darkside. I was slowly crossing the road, dragging my feet, to the Starlight side and head in the direction of Sukhumvit. A kid flying on a motorbike came around the blind corner on the right and crossed in front me on the wrong side of the road, he was going so fast on the outturn.  I just caught the sight of him and pulled both brake handles, pushed my feet so hard onto the asphalt and squeezed the side of my footboard so hard I had burn scars on the inside of my calves. He missed me by maybe 20 cm. He had to have been running 60-70 km/h when a normal speed might be 40ish. It was at this point, after many, many previous near encounters, I decided to leave the motocycle maniacs of Pattaya, last summer. 

22 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Yup. That stretch going downhill from Murphy's is all you need to discover why so many young Thais die on the road each year. 

That exact piece of road is where I decided to stop riding at night on the Darkside. I was slowly crossing the road, dragging my feet, to the Starlight side and head in the direction of Sukhumvit. A kid flying on a motorbike came around the blind corner on the right and crossed in front me on the wrong side of the road, he was going so fast on the outturn.  I just caught the sight of him and pulled both brake handles, pushed my feet so hard onto the asphalt and squeezed the side of my footboard so hard I had burn scars on the inside of my calves. He missed me by maybe 20 cm. He had to have been running 60-70 km/h when a normal speed might be 40ish. It was at this point, after many, many previous near encounters, I decided to leave the motocycle maniacs of Pattaya, last summer. 

No escape from them anywhere in Thailand. Up in Lamphun the kids rip down the road without any sort of protective gear. Only takes a bit of sand on the road and they are dead. Plenty of sand on the road, plus potholes and rubbish etc.