Mai kit maak - relax now the answer will come when you are more relaxed.

Rc2702

When i read the header, I thought what a great translation of ไม่คิดมาก ! As I remember it, l have been told "Ya kit maak" or "kit maak" at times when I have enquired too deeply on personal matters, relationships, lending-borrowing money etc. where " the answer will come when you are more relaxed" might be taken as implied. In other words, don't fret.

What are the circumstances where you think more than "kit maak" might be needed?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

When i read the header, I thought what a great translation of ไม่คิดมาก ! As I remember it, l have been told "Ya kit maak" or "kit maak" at times when I have enquired too deeply on personal matters, relationships, lending-borrowing money etc. where " the answer will come when you are more relaxed" might be taken as implied. In other words, don't fret.

What are the circumstances where you think more than "kit maak" might be needed?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

When someone approaches you to tell you they are kit maak and they are clearly in some distress but if I have time I'd prefer to relax with them and say have a beer and take there mind off it or something.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

When someone approaches you to tell you they are kit maak and they are clearly in some distress but if I have time I'd prefer to relax with them and say have a beer and take there mind off it or something.

I have rarely heard a Thai say that they, personally are "kit maak"; that's more usually a phrase one would use to address or advise someone else (usually as อย่าคิดมาก - yah kit maak - don't worry / think too much - or ไม่ต้องคิดมาก - no need to worry too much), not to comment on one's own feelings / situation.

In that case the phrase would more properly be " ผม / ฉันคิดหนัก " - pom / chan kit nak (I am thinking / considering hard).

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

5 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

I have rarely heard a Thai say that they, personally are "kit maak"; that's more usually a phrase one would use to address or advise someone else (usually as อย่าคิดมาก - yah kit maak - don't worry / think too much - or ไม่ต้องคิดมาก - no need to worry too much), not to comment on one's own feelings / situation.

In that case the phrase would more properly be " ผม / ฉันคิดหนัก " - pom / chan kit nak (I am thinking / considering hard).

Patrick

Thanks. Me not speaking thai and my acquaintance not speaking english and being thai. Perhaps to explain to me he used it and did so a few times. Which is why I'm seeking the translation should it happen again.