Air fare Air Asia

bazza73

I've noticed quite frequently Air Asia economy fares to Chiang Mai from Bangkok are more expensive than the corresponding fare to Chiang Rai from Bangkok, even though it's about 150 km further to Chiang Rai as the crow flies. Is there any explanation for this?

Air asia are a rip off airline. Chiang mai is popular lots of farang so therefore more expensive. Then with air asia start factoring in the baggage fees it makes it more expensive. 

Of course its a rip off thai smile bkk to kk 20kg lugage included yesterdays fare 1250bht pp

Air asia no luggage pay extra yesterdays price same d3stinations when you factor in extra payment for luggage 1520bht.

A big factor in Air Asia's pricing is how far ahead you book. My missis has flown U Tapao - Udon Thani a couple of times for less than 2000Baht return, including 15 kilos of luggage.

The other factor is, as others have said, simple supply and demand. We both did the same trip over the Songkran week and paid about 4000Baht each. But all the flights were full for days either side of our trip.

I think their service is pretty good.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Air Asia is a good airline for the ticket priced in my book,  and also NOK air is good.

Try buying a Qantas or similar for a 1 hr flight and see what the price is ...

Try buying a BA ticket Heathrow to Manchester. 180 miles, 4000 - 10000 baht one way. Pay extra for luggage and the complimentary drink and a snack has just been withdrawn. 

On 9.5.2017 at 11:18 PM, DUS said:

Supply and demand? 

Agree.

Chiang Mai is on high demand, tourist hotspot.

Chiang Rai: maybe they have problems to get the planes full.

Distance (fuel cost) is only one of many factors that influence the prices.

22 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Of course its a rip off thai smile bkk to kk 20kg lugage included yesterdays fare 1250bht pp

Air asia no luggage pay extra yesterdays price same d3stinations when you factor in extra payment for luggage 1520bht.

A few hundred baht difference is hardly a ripoff. If you try different combinations of flight, date, how far booking ahead etc., I reckon you'll find that there's no one airline that will consistently come out cheaper. I do quite a lot of domestic flights and really don't think there's a lot to choose between them. Air Asia seem to get people ranting but they've been fine the times that I've flown with them.

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

A few hundred baht difference is hardly a ripoff. If you try different combinations of flight, date, how far booking ahead etc., I reckon you'll find that there's no one airline that will consistently come out cheaper. I do quite a lot of domestic flights and really don't think there's a lot to choose between them. Air Asia seem to get people ranting but they've been fine the times that I've flown with them.

A rip of as in advertize low prices then start adding on baggage ect then not so low prices thats what i call a rip off. Thai smile also give free in flight food and drinks no real comparison in my book.

most passengers that fly with Air Asia carry their bags with them and it looks like its mostly

tourists that check any baggage, but if you book ahead its UTP to UTH for under 800 baht

funny ripoff..........   pay at the airport 2500 baht its about planning ahead.   

I noticed the same several years ago and I found the fares to be roughly half the cost with a local domestic airline.

Maybe coz many have booked that leg included as part of a longer journey from another country and seat availability is more limited. Whereas on a domestic airline the seats are generally booked within a shorter timeframe so hence there is more seats available. 

49 minutes ago, zoza said:

most passengers that fly with Air Asia carry their bags with them and it looks like its mostly

tourists that check any baggage, but if you book ahead its UTP to UTH for under 800 baht

funny ripoff..........   pay at the airport 2500 baht its about planning ahead.   

The rip of is advertising a price only to find you have to pay more for baggage. Why not advertise this is the basic price luggage extra. Then people know. Quite simple eeally anyway ill stick with thai smile free baggage free food free seat booking.