Entering and leaving Thailand with two passports

Hello Friends,

My wife has travelled back to Thailand May 2, 2017 using her Thai Passport to enter Thailand. She is also a Canadian citizen and wants to use her Canadian Passport to enter back into Canada.

Thai immigration told her after she arrived, that she had to use her Thai passport to leave Thailand.

When travelling back to Canada can she show her Canadian passport to the Airline counter while getting her boarding pass, to satisfy the airline that she doesn't need a visa to get into Canada, then use her Thai passport to depart Thailand ?

Then upon arrival in Canada can she show her Canadian passport to get back into Canada ?

Now this could also be a problem, she has applied for a new Thai Passport while in Thailand and will not have the original passport that she used to enter Thailand upon leaving.

thanks in advance for all your help.

S.B.

As you wrote she will show her Canadian passport to the airline to prove she doe not need a visa to enter Canada.

She will still have the old Thai passport after getting the new one. She could show both passports on departure from the country.

• Like 2

Only show 1 passport to immigration. The way you described above is correct. The ONLY person that will see 2 passports is the airline check-in employee (to prove that she can enter Canada). Show Thai passport when entering/exiting Thailand (even if the previous one is expired, it doesn't matter), and show Canadian passport to enter/exit Canada. Simple.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As you wrote she will show her Canadian passport to the airline to prove she doe not need a visa to enter Canada.

She will still have the old Thai passport after getting the new one. She could show both passports on departure from the country.

This is right. My wife renewed her Thai passport two years ago (she is also a UK Citizen) but she is required by Thai immigration to have both the old and the new passport with her when she enters and leaves Thailand, don't ask me why, it's just what they want. Makes you wonder why they issue a new passport in the first place. 

I have 2 passports. One is my personal one and one is a business one with visas for a couple of countries. I enter and leave Thailand using my personal passport. After I get to Dubai I have a connecting flight and at check-in in BKK they always ask if I have a visa. I just produce the second passport and everything is sweet. Both my passports are British but I wouldn't expect the Thai/Canadian situation will create any problems for your wife.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

wrong, you don´t need your old passport at all in your home country, he just leave with a new passport. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

This is right. My wife renewed her Thai passport two years ago (she is also a UK Citizen) but she is required by Thai immigration to have both the old and the new passport with her when she enters and leaves Thailand, don't ask me why, it's just what they want. Makes you wonder why they issue a new passport in the first place. 

you don´t need your old passport in your home country whether for enter or leaving it. You may need old passport may be only if you enter/leaving another country.

On 2017-5-11 at 3:02 PM, chickenrunCM said:

you don´t need your old passport in your home cThai ountry whether for enter or leaving it. You may need old passport may be only if you enter/leaving another country.

you need your old passport if Thai immigration tell you, you do!!