Where Are You Eating Christmas Dinner?

Ulysses G.

I'm eating at the Dukes. It is my favorite restaurant in Northern Thailand and David Duke - the owner - really enjoys the holidays and tries to make them special. Last year, I couldn't believe how friends raved about his Christmas dinner - even people who don't normally care about food - but I was at the Sheraton because it has always been so good and it has been a tradition to go there. This year I don't want to miss the Dukes!

My second choice is the Sheraton, and they have lots and lots of different kinds of good food, however, I've always been dissapointed by the basics: The turkey is dry and you only get little bit, the stuffing is some weird European style that tastes like liver or something yucky and they don't use turkey giblet gravy, so it changes the taste of the turkey; It tastes like something else. The salads and deserts are great though!

Edited by Ulysses G.

I won't be going to the Sheraton this year. Last year I'd have to say although the food was good and there was plenty, it definately had that overcooked style that you inevitabley get from buffet.

The other downside was that the restaurant was a bit overpopulated by farang gays and their thai partners, although I forgot about it after a few xmas beers.

The other downside was that the restaurant was a bit overpopulated by farang gays and their thai partners, although I forgot about it after a few xmas beers.

Was picturing them naked taking your mind off the food? :D

:o

The chap at the next table to us was dressed in red pajamas, I was trying not to burst out laughing.

Apologies if this upsets anyone.

Was picturing them naked taking your mind off the food? :D

:o

The chap at the next table to us was dressed in red pajamas, I was trying not to burst out laughing.

Apologies if this upsets anyone.

It doesn't offend me in any way "lamphun" but you will be stepping on the sensitivities of quite a few people I would suspect :D

I'm eating at the Dukes. It is my favorite restaurant in Northern Thailand and David Duke - the owner - really enjoys the holidays and tries to make them special.

Let us know how the meal was - a friend on mine's girfriend is now working in the kitchen there.

Last year, I couldn't believe how friends raved about his Christmas dinner - even people who don't normally care about food - but I was at the Sheraton because it has always been so good and it has been a tradition to go there. This year I don't want to miss the Dukes!

I fronted up to the cafeteria at work and had a plate of pad thai - normal work day fare

At least I won't need the stomach pump from the normal overindulgence of food most people subject themself to :o

I have always avoided cerlebrating Christimas day and New Years Eve away from home due to the crush of guests at where I normally enjoy the food and the inevitable large increase in the price of the usual food for those days.

Sheraton buffet for me the day after Christmas. I did do the Sheraton Gala New Years dinner two years ago when my daughter was visiting and except for the tired floor show, it was a nice evening with both falang and Thai buffets. I did think the number of children in the room for a more of less formal New Years Gala was excessive.

lamphun "The other downside was that the restaurant was a bit overpopulated by farang gays and their thai partners" Was it the fact that there were too many gay couples for you or that there were too many gay couples, of which one was Thai, that bothered you ,until you got sloshed on beer?

I just got back from the Sheraton buffet. It was good but I thought that they could have been a little quicker filling up stuff, but a good solid effort.

There were a lot of kids running around which I enjoyed, it sort of gave a good christmassy atmosphere.

Sadly, I am missing out on the festivities this year, being away at work. But I am very pleased to hear that you are all having a good time in Chiang Mai, expecially the children. That's what it's all about for me... We used to go to the Sheraton (fomerly Westin) for Christmas, or New Year's. My own kids were up at some unearthly hour this morning, opening presents and having a grand time. This afternoon they're at a party at a friend's house. Best wishes to you all..! May the coming year be a peaceful, and healthy one, for everybody.

Duang Tawan Hotel last night:

Food: 8 out of 10. Some highlights: very tasty turkey, roast leg of lamb, roast duck, pate, gravlax. Decent selection of desserts. Standard but fresh salad buffet. BBQ with surprisingly tasty beef, tiger prawns, chicken, pork, squid, etc.

Thai food like red curry, sweet and sour fish etc. also available (not that I tried any of it this time).

Ambience: 5 out of 10. The 'carol singers' were students, likely from one of CM's Christian schools. They knew 2 songs which could pass for Christmas carols (We wish you a merry Christmas and another one which was vaguely familiar), the rest was religious clap clap. Santa Claus wasnt really getting into his part either, trying to get it overwith as soon as he could.

Price: Just over 1500 for 3 (around 470 baht per person incl. VAT). A corkage charge applies if you bring your own.

They had to roll us out of there - so no complaints about the food.

I had some takeaway murtabak from a stall at the Monday night market at Meechok Plaza, along with a bag of fried wontons. Just like mom's cooking! :o

Pleeeeeze!

Where is 'Meechok Plaza,' and the location of this stall. I am seriously missing a good murtabak!

Thanks.

The Fly Fisherman

I had some takeaway murtabak from a stall at the Monday night market at Meechok Plaza, along with a bag of fried wontons. Just like mom's cooking! :D

Pleeeeeze!

Where is 'Meechok Plaza,' and the location of this stall. I am seriously missing a good murtabak!

Thanks.

The Fly Fisherman

Meechok Plaza is on Mae Jo rd, connected to Talaat Ruamckoke.. :o

I had some takeaway murtabak from a stall at the Monday night market at Meechok Plaza, along with a bag of fried wontons. Just like mom's cooking! :D

Pleeeeeze!

Thanks.

The Fly Fisherman

where you'll also find the new Rimping, and the 'Farang Cafe', if that helps at all.

Pleeeeeze!

Thanks.

The Fly Fisherman

where you'll also find the new Rimping, and the 'Farang Cafe', if that helps at all.

Farang cafe is terrible, imo.

Did a late buffet at the Duke's, 7:30. Bit pricey at 795 per person, and couldn't do justice to a buffet since my TKO on my motorbike, still a little wimpy in the noggin, and the wife doesn't sock away farang food. The food was rocked out though. Great variety: turkey, prime rib, lamb, stuffed shrimp, prosciutto, steamed salmon, lox, the list goes on, all from pretty good to great. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. The cranberry sauce was real and dam*'d good, and I'm from Mass., a cranberry sauce heaven.