Almost Free To Free Tele-calls

z21rhd

I have been using Jajah's web activated call service for the last couple of weeks - making almost free calls to the US, Canada and UK.

All that is needed this end is a computer connected to the internet. An ordinary telephone connected to a landline, or a mobile phone. Using the process you will be able to talk to your party at the other end, on their landline or mobile phone (without them having a computer.) If they are also registered Jajah users you can have free calls !

Any one else using this service ???? Please give your impressions .

their URL : http://jajah.com/info/help/faq/freecalls/

So many of those cheap call companies are popping up. What caught my eye with this one is they apparently can decide to bill you for a call if they like, so they probably require a credit card or something for the privilege of signing up.

It looks like a scam to me, just like Gizmo, VOIPbuster and so many others like it. Ok, so scam is a big word, but they basically promise much more than they deliver. In the case of VOIPbuster they were offering a free phone number for anyone registered - so I sent them 10 bucks to register (which were supposed to be usable to make calls) but as soon (but not before) as they had the money I got a message that they didn't at this time have any numbers in Thailand. Duh, so what, I wanted a number in Europe, but hello, that's not an option. No refunds, not possible to get hold of anyone, no phone numbers to call, mails remained unanswered. In the end I though I'd just use the 10 bucks paid to make calls but their call quality was so bad that I gave up. 10 bucks paid for nothing.

As for Gizmo, they offer you "free calls between friends and family" as long as both parties are registered members. Ok, so I signed up my wife and me - but that wasn't acceptable - you have to have separate addresses - since when is that part of being family. Oh well, at least it was free, except for a huge download. Their client, btw, is the biggest resource hog of all, eating almost 100 MB, minimized or not. Skype by comparison uses only 7MB in minimized state. Needless to say that got uninstalled as well.

I'm staying with Skype for now. If I change it will be to Yahoo, not some no-name also-ran with dubious ownership and business model.

So many of those cheap call companies are popping up. What caught my eye with this one is they apparently can decide to bill you for a call if they like, so they probably require a credit card or something for the privilege of signing up.

It looks like a scam to me, just like Gizmo, VOIPbuster and so many others like it. Ok, so scam is a big word, but they basically promise much more than they deliver. In the case of VOIPbuster they were offering a free phone number for anyone registered - so I sent them 10 bucks to register (which were supposed to be usable to make calls) but as soon (but not before) as they had the money I got a message that they didn't at this time have any numbers in Thailand. Duh, so what, I wanted a number in Europe, but hello, that's not an option. No refunds, not possible to get hold of anyone, no phone numbers to call, mails remained unanswered. In the end I though I'd just use the 10 bucks paid to make calls but their call quality was so bad that I gave up. 10 bucks paid for nothing.

As for Gizmo, they offer you "free calls between friends and family" as long as both parties are registered members. Ok, so I signed up my wife and me - but that wasn't acceptable - you have to have separate addresses - since when is that part of being family. Oh well, at least it was free, except for a huge download. Their client, btw, is the biggest resource hog of all, eating almost 100 MB, minimized or not. Skype by comparison uses only 7MB in minimized state. Needless to say that got uninstalled as well.

I'm staying with Skype for now. If I change it will be to Yahoo, not some no-name also-ran with dubious ownership and business model.

----------------------------------------------------

Hello ChingChing and Phil.

Skype not really comparable with Jajah . the essential difference is that with Skype you need to use a special mike/telephone connected to your computer, which in turn depending on your on your "cyberspeed" limits the audio quality of the call - on quality broadband no probs but for many of us in the sticks, Skype does not provide effective communication. I have no comment on either Gizmo or VOIPbuster - having no idea how they function.

My question was really directed at users of Jajah . For me I am more than satisfied with the service so far , especially for the ability have inexpensive calls to far off places.

Hey guys. How much do these guys charge for calls. I use skype for pc-pc calls and pc to pstn calls and have been very happy with it. Skype is good because there is usually just one jump from IP to PSTN (if you call a landline) this service jumps to PSTN on both sides and this should drive up the cost. good idea if you are bandwidth challenged.

Hey guys. How much do these guys charge for calls. I use skype for pc-pc calls and pc to pstn calls and have been very happy with it. Skype is good because there is usually just one jump from IP to PSTN (if you call a landline) this service jumps to PSTN on both sides and this should drive up the cost. good idea if you are bandwidth challenged.

--------------------------

Robhudd, here is the URL with the rates :- http://www.jajah.com/info/rates/

--------------------------

Robhudd, here is the URL with the rates :- http://www.jajah.com/info/rates/

I used Jajah a little, and it is good for people who dont have broadband (though I do).

It is not a scam.

also checkout http://www.grandcentral.com/

You can get one number not tied to location, pretty cool.

Of course the thing to have is a wifi phone then where ever there is a connection you can call for free to many people with out needing to be at your computer...

I use voipstunt which is very similar to voipbuster all the time and its great. Its much cheaper than skype and I always found the sound quaility better to. Also when you add some credit you get 3 months of free calls to certain countries including the U.K. I use it from Dubai so I call the U.K and Thailand, I use my credit to call Thailand (1 cent per min) and then use my free calls to call the U.K (300 mins per week max). The only reason I dont use voipbuster is because its blocked here in Dubai and you cant make free calls to the U.K. The advantage of voipbuster though is that its easier to top up the credit.

Jake