Best beach for diving and seeing turtles near Bangkok?

rodmunch

I am new to living in Bangkok. I was thinking about spending the next 2 or 3 day weekend to go visit one of the beaches/islands. I'd like to visit one not to far from Bangkok. I'd like to try out scuba diving. I also would like to see wildlife like turtles or even sharks if possible. It would also be a nice plus if the beach was at least somewhat secluded and I could have more space to myself

From what I know, only Hua Hin is close to Bangkok but you can't really scuba dive or see turtles there. But apparently its possible in Khao Lak.

Are there any other options? Is Khao Lak decent for what I'm looking for?

14 minutes ago, rodmunch said:

Khao Lak

You are aware that Khao Lak is about 600 km as the crow flies from Bangkok?

"Not to far" with your requirements? Hopefully someone has an idea.

Cheap domestic flights are available and I think you need to consider flying.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, rodmunch said:

Oops, I didn't realize it was that far. In that case, I am willing to take a flight

That happens often.

People underestimate the distances here.

Total distance northernmost to southernmost is about 1600 km (1000 miles).

Bangkok to southernmost about 900 km.

(all "as the crow flies", longer on the road)

Just thinking about turtles,  don't they only show up in coastal areas when they lay their eggs in same area they were born? ..... When is that?

Seems to my memory that they are out to sea for a long time before returning.???

For fish and coral in the sea, Koh Toa is pretty good.

Only every seen one turtle in 12 years around the islands and sadly it was dead.

Angthong Marine Park May 2017-5030041.jpg

One spot that is rarely mentioned in these threads is the islands off the southern tip of Koh Chang. Clear waters, lots of fish varieties and corals. I didn't spot any but the boat boys reckon turtles are sometimes seen. Easy to arrange day trips on the main island. 

Edited by Shasta55
Grammar

You should go and have a look in the "Thaw-island" bar ,they have all kind of fishy things in there......even sharks you can

touch with your bare fingers ! They have special seclude spaces for you,where you can more space for yourself.

In 2-3 days you will be satisfied and hooked for life .

Just a thought ............

Difficult to see turtles in Thailand and close to Bangkok no way.

You may want to try the Similian but quite a trip to go there.

As mentioned by many, Koh Tao is a great island for scuba diving and diving. Corals, fishes and and black tip reef sharks.

Personnaly, I haven't see any turtle in Thailand but in Malaysia : Perhentians.

54 minutes ago, xtof2 said:

As mentioned by many, Koh Tao is a great island for scuba diving and diving. Corals, fishes and and black tip reef sharks.

I checked the flights to Koh Samui or Chumphon, and the prices are too high. However, the flights to Phuket are still at a decent price

What islands are close enough to Phuket that offer nice wildlife and are suitable for beginner scuba divers on a 2 day trip?

Don't forget that lot's of islands ( national parks) are closed since a few weeks and back open in october or november. And i think it's on some of those where you can find turtles.

If you take a promotion flight, traveling is reasonable priced and, i think, that almost everything is with in a time range of about 3-5h (i mean including transportation, check in and out at the airport, etc).

Maybe these will be helpfull:

https://divezone.net/diving/thailand

http://www.divetheworldthailand.com/thailand-scuba-diving-sites.php

13 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Difficult to see turtles in Thailand and close to Bangkok no way.

You may want to try the Similian but quite a trip to go there.

Koh Tao is a cheap island to get a dive certification, but great for diving: NO.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Koh Tao is a cheap island to get a dive certification, but great for diving: NO.

That's what I thought. So where is a good island that I can go to this weekend for beginner diving?

23 minutes ago, rodmunch said:

but it looks like there's going to be some rain in Phuket or Krabi. I don't know if that's serious enough to prevent people from diving?

Those forecasts are unreliable.

Rain does not stop people from diving, winds though can prevent it.

For the upcoming weekend the weather looks good according to Windguru.

8 hours ago, rodmunch said:

That's what I thought. So where is a good island that I can go to this weekend for beginner diving?

I have to disagree that Koh Toa is not good for beginner divers, many visitors do there training there. Mango Bay or Lighthouse Bay.

a little further out is  Sail Rock, which is supposed to be excellent ....

It's not a beach but you can see 2-3 turtles on a drift dive (normally a drift) on kho khrok in Pattaya. They have been there for years normally can see 1 in the same place or swimming close to the same place

Not really breach (shore) diving in Thailand gulf in general is shallow.

Haven't seen sea snake here.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:49 AM, rodmunch said:

Oops, I didn't realize it was that far. In that case, I am willing to take a flight

So which island is best for scuba diving and watching turtles?

Understand that you should spend at LEAST 24 hours and new tests recommend 36-48 hours between diving and flying, so plan a day or two after your diving to fly back.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:01 PM, muzmurray said:

Maybe walk before you can run.

Find a PADI dive shop and sign up for a day program called "Discover Scuba."  They give you a mini-lesson, enough to get you in the water safely, and pair you up with an Instructor or Divemaster.  If you like it, the lesson and dives are credited to getting you an Open Water certification.

12 hours ago, rodmunch said:

what about Koh Lanta? The weather forecast shows there won't be too much rain this weekend and next weekend

Sure you can go there as well. Takes more time to get there though compared to Phuket and Ao Nang..