Using Thai electrical items in Europe.

DLang

What electrical items can I use from Thailand, in Europe, without any electrical adapter. 

I blew up my sister's camera when I plugged it in here (Thailand) with the electrical adapter she had brought.

I will be bringing electrical items bought in Thailand to Europe on holiday, will they need an adapter?

Samsung tablets. 8.9 galaxy tab and 10.1 galaxy tab.

Phillip's electrical hair trimmer.

Acer laptop.

Or is it only European electrical items that need a voltage adapter here, and not vice versa? 

Thanks. 

Thailand and Europe are both 220/230V 50Hz, so just plug adaptors needed for Thai kit in Europe and vice-versa..

North American (115V) kit needs a voltage adaptor here and in Europe unless it has a universal (90-260V) power supply, look on the label.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Thailand and Europe are both 220/230V 50Hz, so just plug adaptors needed for Thai kit in Europe and vice-versa..

North American (115V) kit needs a voltage adaptor here and in Europe unless it has a universal (90-260V) power supply, look on the label.

Thanks.

So if it works in Thailand without an adapter, than it will work in Thailand without an adapter?

The camera that blew up in Thailand when it was plugged in may have originated from the US, but worked in Europe without an adapter.  

17 minutes ago, DLang said:

So if it works in Thailand without an adapter, than it will work in Thailand without an adapter?

The camera that blew up in Thailand when it was plugged in may have originated from the US, but worked in Europe without an adapter.  

I think you were asking if it works in Thailand, will it work in Europe and the answer is yes. The only possible modification would be if the plug on the appliance wouldn't fit into the wall socket.

It was probably the voltage adapter you tried to use with the camera that caused the problem. Always a good idea to check the specs on the appliance to see what, if anything, is needed. These days even things bought in the US will have the ability to deal with a range of electrical supplies either automatically or by flipping a switch.

Edited by Suradit69

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

It was probably the voltage adapter you tried to use with the camera that caused the problem.

Thanks, but I didn't use any adapter with the camera. That was why the electrics blew up when I plugged it directly into the Thai socket.

My sister had brought a voltage adapter especially for it, but I forgot and plugged it in without it. A 10,000thb mistake as I had to buy her a new camera. 

^ So will the Thai electrical items need an adapter to work properly in Europe, like the camera that plugged in fine in Europe but exploded the electrics when plugged in here in Thailand? 

You will only need to adapt the plug. The voltage and frequency are the same.

I don't know why a camera that was ok in Europe went pop in Thailand, but it wasn't a power supply incompatibility.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't know why a camera that was ok in Europe went pop in Thailand, but it wasn't a power supply incompatibility.

What else could it have been?

She had a special voltage adapter for it, that I neglected to use.

I will email and ask her where she got it and who told her it would need a voltage adapter. 

48 minutes ago, DLang said:

What else could it have been?

She had a special voltage adapter for it, that I neglected to use.

I will email and ask her where she got it and who told her it would need a voltage adapter. 

Did it work in Europe WITHOUT the adaptor? If so it should have worked in Thailand without.

Of course if it was 110V only then it would need an adaptor in Europe as well as in Thailand. Plugging it in directly in either place would have caused a satisfactory "phut", but it's only likely to have fried the charger, a relatively low-cost fix.

39 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

wont work because European circuits are earthed and everyone knows Thai electricity is not same same Europe, Thai equipment doesn't like to be earthed

You have no idea what you are talking about, where do you think the Type C circle plugs (not the Type A/B flat prongs) used here come from originally? 

Just now, lordblackader said:

You have no idea what you are talking about, where do you think the Type C circle plugs (not the Type A/B flat prongs) used here come from originally? 

I think SB had his tongue plated firmly in his cheek.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

wont work because European circuits are earthed and everyone knows Thai electricity is not same same Europe, Thai equipment doesn't like to be earthed

Sorry to tell you but you are so wrong about this.

First of all i can say my friends wife did bring already more then 3 machines and cookers from Thailand and use them without any problem overhere in Belgium.

Secondly we have lots of tools and equipments here without an earthconnection and they work fine too.

More ... i can say for double isotated power tools, machines or whatever it is even forbidden to have a connected earth.

13 hours ago, Arjen said:

just my gues.....

Some parts of Japan and Korea are also using 116V Japan and Korea are complete on 60Hz.

I installed big machines in both countries, and sometimes theywe needed big transformers to change the 230V between phases to 380V the Hertz problem was not a big deal for our machines. Although some waterpumps had a much higher output as was tested.

Arjen.

Actually all Japan is on 100V though half the country is 50kz and the other half is 60kz

I have many power adapters that are 110v USA only ,  so I always check when I take something to Thailand or Europe  and sometimes tape the 220v-110v voltage adapter to the cord before traveling ,

But  the adapters will have the voltage on them.......

220v Thailand and 220v Europe will be the same ,  a plug adapter might be needed but thats all

Ohhh and early French stuff was 110v , but long gone by now......

12 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Am I the only one to realise this post was made tongue planted firmly in cheek? :smile:

Anyway, our OP has his answer (although we still don't know why his camera got fried) so I'll close this before it goes even further off the rails.