Passengers could soon fly direct from Manchester to Bangkok

Passengers could soon fly direct from Manchester to Bangkok

Screen Shot 2560-05-17 at 10.40.26 AM.png

Passengers could be flying direct from Manchester to India, Bangkok and Shanghai in the next two years.

Airport bosses are eyeing up launching services to the Far East, Middle East and the USA if deals can be hammered out.

It follows a booming year for new direct destinations, which have included Houston, Oman and Casablanca.

Thomas Cook has this week launched its route to San Francisco , joining Virgin Atlantic in offering a direct service to the tech hub.

Collette Roche, interim managing director of Manchester Airport, said: “We are looking to launch new routes in the US, Far East and Middle East.

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/passengers-could-soon-fly-direct-13041179

I don't see what is so sensational about this news?:blink:Aircraft flying from Manchester to the Far East...............

even in the early 1990s I can remember flying to Manchester from Singapore on one of the first built 747 Megatops

2 hours ago, midas said:

I don't see what is so sensational about this news?:blink:Aircraft flying from Manchester to the Far East...............

even in the early 1990s I can remember flying to Manchester from Singapore on one of the first built 747 Megatops

Quite right....I'm pretty sure Thai used to fly this route in the early 90's too....

6 hours ago, jaiyen said:

No, They have 2 years to find out what a dump it is and go somewhere nice !

One would have to be an utter fool to leave one country and go and live in another  and all the time hate it so badly.

Do you know anybody like that ?

Poor things. You have to pity them

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol what airline is going to relocate its hub to Manchester to allow this too happen.....??

The hub is at the destination. So for example Jet Airways Manchester to Mumbai , Mumbai would be the hub for Jet Airways. You could get on a connecting Jet Airways flight at Mumbai to anywhere in India, Kathmandu, Bangkok or whatever. 

4 hours ago, BWPattaya said:

I did it many times

Thai have never flown from Manchester although they have the rights to extend the Munich flight onwards to Manchester for probably more than 20 years. Only Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Malaysian flew to the Far East starting in the late 80's. When Qantas used to fly out of Manchester they flew via Bangkok for a time also. 

55 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

The hub is at the destination. So for example Jet Airways Manchester to Mumbai , Mumbai would be the hub for Jet Airways. You could get on a connecting Jet Airways flight at Mumbai to anywhere in India, Kathmandu, Bangkok or whatever. 

completely lost me.....we are talking a national carrier starting services from manchester to bangkok non stop  ??  whats jet or any other carrier got to do with that

the header is misleading in that it implies non stop but quotes direct which are not the same.

we are talking non stop uk to bangkok and currently only eva thai and ba offer that service with none from manchester......the op is implying a similar service from manchester will open up, to do that only british airways could possibly offer it and they simply wont be anytime soon

46 minutes ago, Chivas said:

completely lost me.....we are talking a national carrier starting services from manchester to bangkok non stop  ??  whats jet or any other carrier got to do with that

the header is misleading in that it implies non stop but quotes direct which are not the same.

we are talking non stop uk to bangkok and currently only eva thai and ba offer that service with none from manchester......the op is implying a similar service from manchester will open up, to do that only british airways could possibly offer it and they simply wont be anytime soon

The article states Manchester may have new flights to India , Bangkok and Shanghai within 2 years. It could be any airline. Virgin might do Mumbai or Jet Airways, I doubt Air India will resume services. Although Air India could do a Delhi- Manchester-North America? Air asia are talking about flying to Manchester although Thomas Cook could do it or even Norwegian. Shanghai probably would be China Eastern but it could another one of the Chinese airlines. Hainan Airlines already do Manchester Beijing. Like you say I doubt BA will do any of these flights they stopped most of their long haul flights from Manchester in the 90's.

I guess these routes will be serviced by UK based lesser known carriers. (ie not BA who go from London). Although I do recall BA used to fly to JFK years ago and there are already flights to the Middle East (many of them), Pakistan, China, Singapore, Hong Kong and many to the USA.  But Bangkok non-stop would be a welcome addition.

Seems a natural progression since they made the rather poor decision not to replace LHR.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:38 PM, Chivas said:

lol what airline is going to relocate its hub to Manchester to allow this too happen.....??

Silly un thought question., why would any airline have to change its hub to offer a direct flight , do you understand what an airline hub is ? Not trying to be rude to you just curious .