Dream World – still a great day out in Bangkok

Inspire

Dream World – still a great day out in Bangkok

Gerry Carter

bkk-dreamworld01.jpg

One of Bangkok’s oldest attractions is still a great day out for all the family – Dream World in the Thanyaburi area of Pathum Thani north of the Thai capital.

Opened in 1993 the theme park is both value for money and well maintained with rides and attractions that will make for an enjoyable and fun day out for very young children through to teenagers to adults.

The staff and maintenance of the park were excellent.

Having not been to the Dream World for 13 years since my children from a first marriage grew up it was with some trepidation that I took my two little ones from a new relationship this week.

They are aged one and four and I thought they might not have enough to do for a half day and besides I was worried the facility might be past its sell-by date.

How wrong I was – we arrived at midday and even when the park closed at 5pm my four year old wanted more! Though admittedly the one year old had fallen asleep!

Set in 63 acres of flat land north of Bangkok the park has for a long time been one of the city’s major attractions. No one expects Disney World or Alton Towers but what Dream World delivers is a friendly and safe experience with a great sense of variety and ingenuity.

Thai style with all of the positivity and none of the negativity that sometimes implies.

Parking is easy and though I had heard rumors about a double pricing structure these were unfounded. A park entry is just 200 baht but it is easily worth getting the 500 baht ticket that includes most of the rides and features.

Paying separately for just a handful of these will soon exceed 500 baht so the ticket represents great value. I asked whether there would be enough that a 110 cm child could do on the ticket and was assured there should be if she was brave enough! And so it proved.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/see-and-do/dream-world-still-great-day-bangkok/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-05-21

It's not in Bangkok its in Pratum Thani. You are out in the sun for hours and many of the workers are a bit stroppy as they have so many kids running around. It's nothing like a great day out but not too bad either. Just very average.

Are you really sure that double pricing for foreigners isn't still around? Has things changed as they were notorious in the past for double pricing just like lots of other places.

It's not in Bangkok its in Pratum Thani. You are out in the sun for hours and many of the workers are a bit stroppy as they have so many kids running around. It's nothing like a great day out but not too bad either. Just very average.

Agreed. Not bad to check out if you're a tourist or maybe go every 5 years or so just for a day out but it's nowhere near the same standard as the Aussie Deamworld.

Edited by bbi1

11 hours ago, CLW said:

How about the other theme park in Bangkapi.
Can't recall the name, Siam Park or similar...
Is it good?

IT's far better, there is no comparison almost but it is pricey. I think the family ticket was 3250 last time. If not it was more than that. You know the underlying rationale right? You get what you pay for. Pay more get better but it is a damn site easier to get to. That what won the day for me. 

17 hours ago, CLW said:

Is it good?

Siam Park City. Yes...great fun! Went last year. Amusement Park and Water Park in one. Even has it's own beach with the world's largest Wave Pool! The waves were tiny and disappointing, but it is mainly for kids after all. I was hoping for COWABUNGA DUDE! :vampire:

21 hours ago, Deserted said:

Another ray of sunshine

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Are you really sure that double pricing for foreigners isn't still around? Has things changed as they were notorious in the past for double pricing just like lots of other places.

Agreed. Not bad to check out if you're a tourist or maybe go every 5 years or so just for a day out but it's nowhere near the same standard as the Aussie Deamworld.

That would be aussie dreamworld where 4 patrons were tragically killed due to faulty equipment and maintenace and had to close for 2 months while the mess was cleared up.

Nowhere near the same standard, you are correct.

PLus when open about 4 or 5 times the price at least.

Avoid Sundays and holidays at Dream World if possible...weekdays much less crowded.

I did have a problem getting a taxi out of there.  It seemed to be a Mafia and they demanded B500 return to central Bangkok.

Avoid Sundays and holidays at Dream World if possible...weekdays much less crowded.
I did have a problem getting a taxi out of there.  It seemed to be a Mafia and they demanded B500 return to central Bangkok.

I thought it's​ enroute the regular minivan service. Can't remember exactly
In that case, Grab application is your friend

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

I thought it's enroute the regular minivan service. Can't remember exactly
In that case, Grab application is your friend

I should have mentioned this was about 5 years ago...things may well have changed.

I went about 5 years ago and it was good fun for the kids

if it was built in 1993 they used 1973 plans as that is the time period most of the stuff looks like ,

But if you do not expect Disneyland you will love it

Yes there was duel pricing , and the sneaky Thai way of putting Thai price in Thai numbers.....

But I had a Thai buy all our tickets and no one seemed to care.....

its HOT , but cold drinks and food were Thai prices and very affordable

We took a Taxi from MoChit and  got a Taxi back to MoChit  , but there might be a city bus that does the same route

only thing that was extra was the gokarts , which were fun...

On 5/21/2017 at 3:14 PM, CLW said:

Is it good?

Last time we went there the electric cut off and people were left upside down on rides screaming and stuck on others. Never again. 

On 2017-5-27 at 9:10 AM, oldcarguy said:

I went about 5 years ago and it was good fun for the kids

if it was built in 1993 they used 1973 plans as that is the time period most of the stuff looks like ,

But if you do not expect Disneyland you will love it

Yes there was duel pricing , and the sneaky Thai way of putting Thai price in Thai numbers.....

But I had a Thai buy all our tickets and no one seemed to care.....

A number of peeps here confirming dual pricing. Seems the "sponsor" who posted this article needs to do their research better since they claimed there's no dual pricing involved lol. :post-4641-1156694572: