Anyone done a TM 28 in Chiang Mai recently?

thaibeachlovers

Used to be that a TM 28 had to be done at the airport office, but is that still the case or is it done at Promenada now?

Did you have a problem doing it? When I tried a long time ago, the officer didn't know what it was and I ended up not doing one at all.

In January my landlady went to Promenada to do my TM30 and turn in a TM28, Change of address form, for me.  She was told that a TM28 was now not necessary as the TM 30 is more important.  I know that is not what the law says, but that was the current interpretation in January.  I have since done 90 day reports (by mail) with the new address without a problem.  

From what I can gauge talking with different people around the place, the TM 28 is no longer necessary. They still like the TM 30 for the present time. But let's cross our fingers and hope they drop that daft idea soon as well.

585b740d9b7b9_NotificationofResidence.jpg.971ccaae93ac01871f6d0d605462cc9a.jpg

When I applied for the new 6 month visa in Hull I was told I had to submit proof of £5000 in the bank for the last six months, also provide a valid airplane return ticket as well proof of where I will be staying, I had to get my mate to send me a copy of his receipt for the 2 bedroom apartment I stayed in with him 2 months helping him get over an illness, on the Etihad flight into Bangkok I filled out the immigration ticket putting the same address, I only stayed a couple of days with him & then moved back in with my long term lady friend, a couple of weeks later a friend in the UK told me about a friend of his staying in Bangkok for 2 months decided to visit Chiang Mai for 2 weeks & whilst there he was stopped by police who asked where he was staying & he told them where in Chiang Mai, they did an immigration check & said that was incorrect information as he was supposed to be in Bangkok so the spot fined him 4000 baht, I decided to register a change of address.

1st I asked my rent collector if she knew how to do this, she then said she would ask her boss, after another week she produced a thick wad of papers & told me they were the correct form but nobody knew how to fill them in, as they were all in Thai language I could not understand as well, so I told her I would go to the immigration in soi 5 in Jomtien which I did the next day.

At the reception desk I asked to register a change of address & was given a form in English which I filled in & was then told to go upstairs to the housing department where I handed the form to young woman, she looked me up & down handing me the above 2 small pieces of paper stating that there is a fine to pay if they were told within 24 hours of moving & all the items listed must be produced when registering a change of address, being shocked at this I whoa there I have not moved yet & I will come back tomorrow with all the relevant papers, also I asked that if

I visit my lady's family home do I have to inform immigration or the local police station to which she said no as you already have an address in Pattaya ( so it sounds like the cop in Chiang Mai ripped off the other guy ??? )

Obviously I did not go back there & left it until I did a visa run to Krong Poi Pet where I filled in the immigration paper putting my down present address.

On my return I called the Hull embassy asking them if they knew about this change of address law, she told me that they had never heard of it before & thanked me for the information which I emailed them the same as above.

I hope this will be useful information for all who move around Thailand

Edited by YAHF
Date

8 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

In January my landlady went to Promenada to do my TM30 and turn in a TM28, Change of address form, for me.  She was told that a TM28 was now not necessary as the TM 30 is more important.  I know that is not what the law says, but that was the current interpretation in January.  I have since done 90 day reports (by mail) with the new address without a problem.  

Well. like the TM30, the law concerning the TM28 doesn't' matter, well, until it does.  Then they will fine you 1800 THB.  Once you're fined, you'll know it matters.  Until then, mai bpen rai.

Edited by connda

A month ago I moved from my room to my girlfriend's house right after I came back from abroad. After 24 hours we went to Chaeng Wattana to submitTM-28 and TM-30 .

the officer told us that no need TM-28 , only TM-30 by my girlfriend is required (no copy of anything/ducument) Then she received the receipt and we left. 

He just told me that not to forget 90 day report with new address. 

Easy , 

33 minutes ago, Foozool said:

A month ago I moved from my room to my girlfriend's house right after I came back from abroad. After 24 hours we went to Chaeng Wattana to submitTM-28 and TM-30 .

the officer told us that no need TM-28 , only TM-30 by my girlfriend is required (no copy of anything/ducument) Then she received the receipt and we left. 

He just told me that not to forget 90 day report with new address. 

Easy , 

That's my understanding of the current situation. No need for the 28, but housemaster must do the 30, and the horrible Alien must do the 90 days report.

Same thing can happen to TM28  as it is still on the books.We did ours last year.

There is quite a bit still on the many books. The facts indicate they do not want to process TM28s now and I have better things to do than try to force them to process a form they tell me is not needed.

Every post I read about anything to do with immigration and their plethora of made up requirements that change by the day only convinces me that the authorities do not want me to stay in Thailand long time. Unhappily I will comply with that after this trip.

It is clearly impossible to comply indefinitely for someone that is not rich enough to buy Thailand Elite, or suchlike.

Never thought I'd say this, but I give up on Thailand as a long stay destination. I just don't have the willpower to jump through their hoops any more, and I don't think I am the only one that thinks like that.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every post I read about anything to do with immigration and their plethora of made up requirements that change by the day only convinces me that the authorities do not want me to stay in Thailand long time. Unhappily I will comply with that after this trip.

It is clearly impossible to comply indefinitely for someone that is not rich enough to buy Thailand Elite, or suchlike.

Never thought I'd say this, but I give up on Thailand as a long stay destination. I just don't have the willpower to jump through their hoops any more, and I don't think I am the only one that thinks like that.

I have to wonder if you are beaten down by CM Immigration or if you have beaten yourself down about it.  So where are the greener pastures for you?

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

I have to wonder if you are beaten down by CM Immigration or if you have beaten yourself down about it.  So where are the greener pastures for you?

There aren't any. Thailand was going to be it, and now that is too hard.

I guess I'll just have to be cold and miserable. Sad.

If I ever needed to understand why some choose to end it with a high dive in Pattaya, I have got it now, but that would be a step too far for me.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Look at the bright side, if you stay in Thailand you only have to jump through these ever changing hoops until the day you die.

I honestly don't know how some of you guys do it. The thought of doing this forever makes my stomach churn.

The worst part is, the gig could be up at any time with or without notice, or unrealistic requirements added. It's that uncertainty that keeps me from making retirement plans here. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There aren't any. Thailand was going to be it, and now that is too hard.

I guess I'll just have to be cold and miserable. Sad.

If I ever needed to understand why some choose to end it with a high dive in Pattaya, I have got it now, but that would be a step too far for me.

Cambodia and Vietnam are both easy to stay in long term. Chile and Ecuador are easy in S. America. There is more crime in South America than here but it's not really worse than the USA. Ecuador has less crime than Chile. 

Point is, don't give up hope! Just find a new place.

14 hours ago, dcnx said:

Cambodia and Vietnam are both easy to stay in long term. Chile and Ecuador are easy in S. America. There is more crime in South America than here but it's not really worse than the USA. Ecuador has less crime than Chile. 

Point is, don't give up hope! Just find a new place.

Thanks, but too old and too tired to be working out how a new place works. Still finding out new things about Thailand after more than 20 years.

I'll just go back to the cold place.