Sketch Of Thief Who Killed Canadian Released

george

Sketch of thief who killed Canadian released

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday released a sketch of the armed thief who shot and killed a Canadian businessman and injured three others at a Christmas party in a Bangkok condominium on Monday night.

Police handed out the sketch of a dark-skinned Thai male of about 170 centimetres in height - who could speak English, but not fluently - to members of the public and all city police stations.

Two police units are searching for the man - one is seeking information about him around the Sukhumvit Soi 22 area while the other is looking for items that he might have sold to pawnshops or cell phone shops across the city.

Metropolitan Police Division 5 Commander Maj-General Anan Srihiran said the businessman, Mark Jay Keffer, 42, was not close to the Sultan of Brunei as some news reports had suggested, but was a son-in-law of a former Brunei minister.

On Monday night, Keffer, who reportedly worked in Brunei, was celebrating Christmas with his wife and six others at a relative's condominium in Khlong Toei district when a gunman entered from a balcony and robbed the party guests at gunpoint, taking Bt15,000 in cash, seven wristwatches and a digital camera.

Keffer's wife hit the robber with her handbag and he then opened fire, killing Keffer and wounding her and two relatives from Brunei.

--The Nation 2006-12-28

So where's the picture then?

Not all farangs here are married to thais, as some one is still suggesting..

Guess the lady is from Brunei and I don't think she was thinking anything just shocked by the situation and trying to protect herself. Though luck it turned out this way.

Clarification letter from one of the relative to The Nation.

Inaccuracies contained in report on murdered Canadian

Re: "Sketch of thief who killed Canadian released", News, December 28.

The victims involved in the shooting are my relatives and I am distressed to read the false information posted in your article. Mark's wife is my cousin and she did not attack the thief just to save the money.

Her act was not a foolish one just to avoid giving the money. The thief was threatening to shoot the children, which pushed her to attack him. She was shot first, which caused Mark to fight the thief too that led to his death.

Your inaccurate article, which also falsely assumes that Mark was working in Brunei when he has never even been to Brunei, is an insult to journalistic integrity. His father-in-law, my uncle, was never a minister in Brunei, but was a highly respected government official. Get your facts straight.

Aston Family

Brunei, Darussalam

Why do I keep thinking these murder/crime news articles are written by our once improvised plumber who also claimed to be an electrician :o

Sad for the families to see the events distorted when announced only to be corrected bit by bit as investigations go on, in some cases a matter a matter of years. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Clarification letter from one of the relative to The Nation.

Inaccuracies contained in report on murdered Canadian

Re: "Sketch of thief who killed Canadian released", News, December 28.

The victims involved in the shooting are my relatives and I am distressed to read the false information posted in your article. Mark's wife is my cousin and she did not attack the thief just to save the money.

Her act was not a foolish one just to avoid giving the money. The thief was threatening to shoot the children, which pushed her to attack him. She was shot first, which caused Mark to fight the thief too that led to his death.

Your inaccurate article, which also falsely assumes that Mark was working in Brunei when he has never even been to Brunei, is an insult to journalistic integrity. His father-in-law, my uncle, was never a minister in Brunei, but was a highly respected government official. Get your facts straight.

Aston Family

Brunei, Darussalam