Thai scamming Thai

The gf (and I) have been looking to buy land up here for nearly two years. It is expensive (1 - 2 M/rai) compared to the lower valley but this is her home area and it is more scenic and cooler.Every parcel we have looked at has had some sort of problem with some being very serious.

Just this past week we have looked at two separate parcels that ticked most of the boxes. The title to each was Nor Sor 3 Gor. The advice that we have been given, and generally accepted, is that NS3G is one step away from Chanote and can be converted to Chanote on request. That may be the usual case but up here there is a very large section of the district that cannot be converted. In fact it may be claimed back by the government with no compensation so there is obviosly a problem with the way the title was issued.

The two different owners assured the gf that their title was "good" and had nothing to worry about and would she pay the deposit that day. The local Land Office did not point out the problem but fortunately the local Municipal Office explained the title problem to her. All of these discussions were in Thai that I do not understand but after 40+ years in the property industry in Oz and seeing the scams there I was naturally cautious and we were able to walk away.

All the advice I can give is to be very careful in any land deal, move slowly and not trust the first piece of advice you get.

Archived