Uk credit card issues in Thailand.

4 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Staying on topic , has anyone else had problems similar using their credit card here? I have used this card in arguably a lot less developed countries over the last few months with zero problems.

Yes in many ways but the biggest crooks by far are the cc companies themselves. £7.50 to courier you a new card from UK because they don't serve Thailand ( but fail to mention this on their website anywhere)

RoE that would make any banker blush

charges for overseas use ( as if the RoE didn't cover it) 

plus an assortment of creative charges.

i use it for the peace of mind covered by uk c card legislation. But wondering why I bother. 

15 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Yes in many ways but the biggest crooks by far are the cc companies themselves. £7.50 to courier you a new card from UK because they don't serve Thailand ( but fail to mention this on their website anywhere)

RoE that would make any banker blush

charges for overseas use ( as if the RoE didn't cover it) 

plus an assortment of creative charges.

i use it for the peace of mind covered by uk c card legislation. But wondering why I bother. 

Erm, haven't you investigated alternative credit cards?

Try the Halifax Clarity Card or Creation Everyday.  They're generally accepted as the top two in the UK and for good reason.  

Stick to your old trusty faithful credit card because that's the way you've always done it, if you so wish.  Personally, I'm constantly investigating cheaper credit facilities.  Though, am presently sold on the Halifax Clarity Card as it does an extremely good job abroad and Creation came along afterwards and not much point in changing at this moment in time for such a small difference.

Edited by GuiseppeD

I had a similar problem some years ago with my U.S bank.

I spent 30 minutes explaining to the local female bank clerk in the U.S that my card was intended to be used on line overseas for shopping on the internet, and I thought she understood. that clearly, however, she filled out the application form to say my card would only be used in the U.S. and therefore the first time I used that card to purchase an item on the internet from Thailand, it was disallowed.

It took me several hours and many international calls to find someone who understood my complaint.

All at my expense., of course.

10 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Erm, haven't you investigated alternative credit cards?

Try the Halifax Clarity Card or Creation Everyday.  They're generally accepted as the top two in the UK and for good reason.  

Stick to your old trusty faithful credit card because that's the way you've always done it, if you so wish.  Personally, I'm constantly investigating cheaper credit facilities.  Though, am presently sold on the Halifax Clarity Card as it does an extremely good job abroad and Creation came along afterwards and not much point in changing at this moment in time for such a small difference.

Good point but mine is issued by my bank. Would I not have to change banks to get a Halifax card?

i admit to not being very " gau chai" about banking matters so any assistance most genuinely welcome.

Just now, The Dark Lord said:

Good point but mine is issued by my bank. Would I not have to change banks to get a Halifax card?

i admit to not being very " gau chai" about banking matters so any assistance most genuinely welcome.

I don't hold a current account with Halifax.  Takes all of five minutes to apply for their credit card.  

I hope this helps.

Just now, GuiseppeD said:

I don't hold a current account with Halifax.  Takes all of five minutes to apply for their credit card.  

I hope this helps.

Thanks, will take a shot at it when I get back to my laptop. 

Genuine thanks for the help.

1 minute ago, The Dark Lord said:

Thanks, will take a shot at it when I get back to my laptop. 

Genuine thanks for the help.

My only caveat is that I can't guarantee you'll be accepted if you're located abroad and Halifax realise they have to ship the card to LOS.  My wife and I only visit to see her folks.  But not an insurmountable problem if you have contacts in the UK.

2 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

My only caveat is that I can't guarantee you'll be accepted if you're located abroad and Halifax realise they have to ship the card to LOS.  My wife and I only visit to see her folks.  But not an insurmountable problem if you have contacts in the UK.

Yes that is the problem. Suppose I could use my sisters address if she agrees.

15 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Check post #22.

Clarity is a good choice as it has decent ATM withdrawal/cash advance allowance.

Always have a fallback card.

Just now, JamJar said:

Check post #22.

Clarity is a good choice as it has decent ATM withdrawal/cash advance allowance.

Always have a fallback card.

Agreed.  I have half a dozen credit cards - which I can barely keep up with at the best of times - but, the Halifax Clarity Card is the only one I utilise abroad.

Just now, GuiseppeD said:

Agreed.  I have half a dozen credit cards - which I can barely keep up with at the best of times - but, the Halifax Clarity Card is the only one I utilise abroad.

That's what I meant. Have a fallback card for use abroad, not just the Clarity. Otherwise you'll have to fallback to a crappy card in the case of failure....and that will annoy you. :smile:

5 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Staying on topic , has anyone else had problems similar using their credit card here? I have used this card in arguably a lot less developed countries over the last few months with zero problems.

Had a problem with Barclaycard, used it in Home Pro 17,000 baht o.k, last week used it for 3084 baht Wish Beer and card blocked.  Today I get an Indian woman on phone she asks me to put debit card in pin sentry asks for last 4 digits of card and then wants the 8 numbers of the pin sentry, which I said I am not prepared to give. Eventually an English guy clears me and I get my card unblocked.

14 minutes ago, JamJar said:

That's what I meant. Have a fallback card for use abroad, not just the Clarity. Otherwise you'll have to fallback to a crappy card in the case of failure....and that will annoy you. :smile:

That's the only downside but at least have backup credit to hand.

8 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

My credit has also ran out on my phone lol. I will get some credit later, thanks for reply.

Whenever I have credit card (fraud alert) issues I call using Skype. Most banks have

a Skype number. Cost is nothing to very cheap so when you are on hold there is no

need to worry. I can call my bank/credit card issuer direct.

44 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Whenever I have credit card (fraud alert) issues I call using Skype. Most banks have

a Skype number. Cost is nothing to very cheap so when you are on hold there is no

need to worry. I can call my bank/credit card issuer direct.

Getting your own Skype number only costs me about $60 US Dollars per year ($5 per month) and that includes unlimited calls to US/Canada. I am sure they also have Uk/Euro plans similar cost. This way I can maintain US based phone number for activating cards, calls etc

One thing to watch for is when they are processing a CC transaction is to see which button they press (red or green).  On occasion some places hit the red button on the processing machine (you need to watch!) and then tell you "cannot".... then ask for cash! 

I just show them the green button and then it goes through!

Also on 1 800 numbers for USA and Canada, are free using Skype... (not sure about other countries) ...

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

One thing to watch for is when they are processing a CC transaction is to see which button they press (red or green).  On occasion some places hit the red button on the processing machine (you need to watch!) and then tell you "cannot".... then ask for cash! 

I just show them the green button and then it goes through!

Also on 1 800 numbers for USA and Canada, are free using Skype... (not sure about other countries) ...

Well hopefully as card use in Thailand becomes more of the norm , the retailers may actually train their staff to be able to use these paypoints efficiently and more confidently, especially concerning the use of chip and pin and foreign debit/credit cards. Hopefully .....