Aussie tourist suing Thai government after horrific knife attack in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, dexjnr555 said:

The Sun is a joke of a newspaper....for the uneducated, low-class bellends. How can an Aussie be using Pounds?

No quite right

The reporter would do a translate of what happen, this would be so the person reading this could do an instant price comparison, this they would not be able to do if it at been in baths or the Aussie dollar without going to a computer and seeing what the exchange rate is now and then.

Your right about the paper but also you could be classed as the same after a comment like that. No wonder the place is in such a mess.

8 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

No quite right

The reporter would do a translate of what happen, this would be so the person reading this could do an instant price comparison, this they would not be able to do if it at been in baths or the Aussie dollar without going to a computer and seeing what the exchange rate is now and then.

Your right about the paper but also you could be classed as the same after a comment like that. No wonder the place is in such a mess.

Turn it up. What place are you talking about exactly, Thailand?

On 6/13/2017 at 10:56 AM, lovelomsak said:

I think he will get it. Thailand will not want lose of face.Simple as that.

I presume you are joking? This country takes farang money - not the other way round!

Am not sure whether tourists can get an accident insurance policy at Bkk Bank, but I (a farang resident) renew my policy annually.  It's cheap (under 3000/yr if memory serves), and it covers up to Bt.30,000 for injuries (it may be higher now).    I  used it once after suffering a bad fall through a roof (was sweeping it).   

Many years ago in the U.K. i successfully claimed compensation from the "criminal injury compensation board", which arose due to an unprovoked attack by a drunken idiot. But as has been mentioned already here, a claim can only be made following a successful criminal prosecution.

Like I said before, paying a hospital bill here and there is a small price to pay for the billions being raked in from foreigners. But I know TIT, money traffic is only one way with a wai.

Edited by wabothai

On 13/06/2017 at 11:01 AM, clockman said:

Not advisable to travel anywhere without insurance.?

On 13/06/2017 at 11:01 AM, clockman said:

Not advisable to travel anywhere without insurance.?

Bit hard to obtain travel insurance when your not traveling, only able to buy private hospital insurance.

On 13/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, Kerryd said:

Hmmm.

The  attempted robbery was in 2009. Suspects never caught, police file closed in 2012 due to lack of evidence (no suspects, no sword, etc). Decides to sue in 2017.

I can't find a link to any story about the original robbery in 2009. Anyone else remember this ? (Though it was in Phuket and with all the crime stories coming from there it may not have been reported.)

IMG_2314.PNG

On 13/06/2017 at 1:42 PM, the guest said:

Quote "Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act" 

Unfortunately, I think this only applies to Thai citizens, and not to foreigners.

The act was set up for both foreigners and locals 

On 13/06/2017 at 3:49 PM, Genericnic said:

As noted in The Sun, "Jamie, who was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack ..." Sound like a tourist to you? Me either. My bet is he was working on a tourist visa with no work permit.

As for no insurance, The sun noted that he "spent $10,000 of his savings (£5,900) on the treatment as he had no health insurance." Obviously could have afforded insurance - much cheaper than USD$10,000. 

Unfortunate that he was attacked but all things considered, no sympathy.

David

I was a business owner so I didn't qualify for Thai medical insurance or travel insurance off course as I was not travelling.  I should have taken out private hospital insurance which I didn't do. At least I payed out off my own pocket.

Thank you for the no sympathy :)

On 13/06/2017 at 5:24 PM, Bastos60 said:

Well running an internet cafe in Thailand, that's where the money is at.

Found easy pussy for the first time in his life and decided to stay there, does something stupid to get his face slashed open.

Something smells fishy and it aint a thai pussy this time. 

If he is that arrogant in thinking he doesn't need health insurance, he should now swallow his pride and take the loss. He will have health insurance next time.

Hi, Mr know it all, firstly I'm not some old man with saggy balls who will sleep with anyone. Read the story, I did nothing wrong just a random attack by some drugged up men. 

Arrogant I don't think so, people make mistakes in life .. I never bought travel insurance because I was living there and private hospital insurance was extremely expensive. I learnt the hard way but at least I forked out the money myself. 

Thanks for  the sympathy 

On 13/06/2017 at 5:46 PM, dotpoom said:

Really horrific thing that happened to this lad.....I do hope he recovers mentally from his ordeal.

Happened about 8 years ago and no arrests.

PS....the amount of times the writer of this article repeated themselves I thought I was tuned into Fox News.

Thank you for those kind words. The writer has definitely repeated themselves over and over again 

2 hours ago, Jamie88 said:

Hi, Mr know it all, firstly I'm not some old man with saggy balls who will sleep with anyone. Read the story, I did nothing wrong just a random attack by some drugged up men. 

Arrogant I don't think so, people make mistakes in life .. I never bought travel insurance because I was living there and private hospital insurance was extremely expensive. I learnt the hard way but at least I forked out the money myself. 

Thanks for  the sympathy 

I am not an old man with saggy balls either. At least not yet.
You have my sympathy for what happened to you, nobody wants to get their face slashed open. I hope it has healed up with as little scars as possible.

But don't get me wrong, a health insurance should be your number one concern anywhere in the world you go. Even if it only covers emergency care and it should always be part of whatever venture you end up in.

You had to learn it the hard way unfortunately. 

Secondly, and don't take it as fact but as my opinion,  I don't think this was just a random attack, these guys most likely had their eyes on you both from when you left the phuket old town festival.
When I said it smelled fishy, I didn't mean you did anything wrong but how they chose you guys to rob.

I sincerely apologize for upsetting you. 

So how are things with you now? Thinking about returning?

Edited by Bastos60

On 13/06/2017 at 8:07 PM, natway09 said:

Maybe it is time that Ozzies had to get a special visa to go overseas.

Wherever the go they seem to get into trouble. I had a few very regrettable incidents in Bali with drunk

Ozzies that ruined two of our holidays by them just being stupid, dumb, annoying & out of control.

Hence, they can have Bali  on their own now

You'll be glad to know there's actually been legislation passed banning  aussie pedos from travelling overseas. Bali has already been infested by aussies but at least this will reduce their numbers.  

On 13/06/2017 at 11:03 AM, ben2talk said:

Daily Mail says Mr Shackleton was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack. Not a tourist and no health insurance apparently.

Now let's come up with some interesting alternative reasons for the attack... Maybe he had already been warned about doing business in Pattaya.

Horrific attack and inexcusable too. 

However, when someone is working unlawfully (with no work permit) on a tourist visa in an occupation reserved for Thais you have to wonder if you've heard the full story.