What Are You Doing For New Years Eve ?

terrymor66

Any big plans for New Years Eve ? I am not sure as of right now, but thinking that I might head down to Thapae Gate for the countdown.

Thailand celebrates four different New Years. :o

Ever wonder just what it is that makes people want to go out and spend 4x-5x the price for a meal while seated in an over crowded restaurant? The drive home is reminiscent of a demolition derby, the accident rates multiply geometrically, and so many hangovers the next day. Reports state that the police are putting on extra men just to control the troubles that occur from all the drinking.

Question: will Jan 1st at 00:01 be any different from December 31st at 11:59? Other than the bar and restaurant owners being that much richer, that is? I used to think so myself. Then I began to think FOR myself.

'Tis the season to be jolly. So ever wonder why the suicide rate is so much higher over the holidays?

My family and I will have a nice dinner together, just like every other night, perhaps watch a movie with the kids on the video, and maybe, this year, stay awake until midnight. But probably not. It's the same midnight every night. Unless you buy into the merchandising.

The Fly Fisherman

Physherman, as I get older I think you might be right. But I find it difficult to overcome the cultural tradition in my country that celebrates the passing of the old and the arrival of the new. For me it's an emotional time of remembrance, and dreams about what the future holds. Sounds corny as I write it, but I certainly feel it. I agree that the big (Hotel/Restaurant) party with inflated prices is as silly as the same done at Christmas, and I'd rather be with a few friends at their or my own house. A lot of alcohol isn't required, but a bit sharpens and then dulls the senses, but that's true any night of the year, and it's up to the individual whether they can operate that way. I don't think you have to do anything you don't want to do. The suicidal rates increase over these periods because people feel they should be enjoying themselves more, and with a big group of friends. Again, the best advice is to stay with what you're most comfortable doing, and those you're most comfortable doing it with; even if it's staying at home by yourself.

Physherman, as I get older I think you might be right. But I find it difficult to overcome the cultural tradition in my country that celebrates the passing of the old and the arrival of the new. For me it's an emotional time of remembrance, and dreams about what the future holds. Sounds corny as I write it, but I certainly feel it. I agree that the big (Hotel/Restaurant) party with inflated prices is as silly as the same done at Christmas, and I'd rather be with a few friends at their or my own house. A lot of alcohol isn't required, but a bit sharpens and then dulls the senses, but that's true any night of the year, and it's up to the individual whether they can operate that way. I don't think you have to do anything you don't want to do. The suicidal rates increase over these periods because people feel they should be enjoying themselves more, and with a big group of friends. Again, the best advice is to stay with what you're most comfortable doing, and those you're most comfortable doing it with; even if it's staying at home by yourself.

I think we all feel it. But have we been conditioned to feel it, or is there really something there? Every morning is a new beginning. Every evening another ending. Maybe there should be a party to celebrate the turning of each month. Many cultures do this for the turning of each season. That's the eternal cycle of life. What do they say; to light a candle is to cast a shadow...

Nothing wrong with sharing a nice evening with friends, having a few drinks. Probably most of us spent our late teens/early twenties drunk as skunks most weekends, and as we aged we gained some modicum of moderation. Hopefully. :o

And just as hopefully, moderation in all things, especially moderation!

There certainly has been a sell-out of holiday meaning brought about by marketing, and marketing is interwoven with advertising which in turn controls most people's activities, whether we like that idea or not. My kids would have been heartbroken if Santa hadn't brought some presents, despite the fact that they know little about religion. Today, unless you are quite religious, Christmas is for kids, and if you're a single ex-pat in Chiang Mai, Christmas is for Pubs serving tasty but overpriced meals. Ever have the bad luck to be in a US shopping mall a day before the night before? It's nut's!! People so frustrated because they HAVE to get presents for people, not because they want to. Valentine's Day is for selling flowers and chocolates, and New Year's Eve is for getting sh#@t faced. How much money has Hallmark made this year selling Christmas Cards?

As you say, and I agree, the suicide rate soars because people are conned into believing that they should be enjoying themselves just as much as the folks on TV. I know that my mother never wore her pearls, high heels, or party dress when washing the dinner dishes like Beaver Cleaver's mother did on TV.

Maybe that's changing. Today we have 'reality shows' like 'World's Greatest Disasters,' 'Wonderful World of Sports Tragedies,' (the adverts for that one says "Come On! Join the Fun!" unbelievable!) and full contact, no holds barred, gladiatorial combat in a closed cage. I guess Roller Derby wasn't bloody enough. Fortunately here in Thailand we have Pattaya and lots of balconies. I'm sure the news papers will report them all in detail. Someone has already let us know that there have been 10 accidents. I wish they would report wedding engagements or conceptions (with detailed reports) instead.

As I said, we'll have a quiet evening at home with family. I hope and pray that those who wish to stay home alone have the fortitude to admit that to themselves and do so, rather than go out just to be able to say ' hey, I was at the So-And-So! Didn't get home until 4am and don't know how I did it! Puked my guts out! It was great!'

The Fly Fisherman

I will be staying home with my lovely wife....and hoping for many more years together.

I will not be in Thailand for New Year......If I were, I would do as the wife's family does....temple in the day, stay home at night to avoid drunks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!

Eric

WOW ! I just thought that I would start a nice simple thread about how people were celebrating the New Year.........Not all this Philosphical "stuff" :o As I mentioned, My wife and I will go to Thapae Gate. Neither of us are drinkers, but we very much enjoy "people watching." We are going to the different temples during the daytime, then head over and get some dinner and probably a massage then go "watching." Really nothing too commercial about it for the two of us. Just simple fun.

Any big plans for New Years Eve ? I am not sure as of right now, but thinking that I might head down to Thapae Gate for the countdown.

Thailand celebrates four different New Years. :o

Ever wonder just what it is that makes people want to go out and spend 4x-5x the price for a meal while seated in an over crowded restaurant? The drive home is reminiscent of a demolition derby, the accident rates multiply geometrically, and so many hangovers the next day. Reports state that the police are putting on extra men just to control the troubles that occur from all the drinking.

Question: will Jan 1st at 00:01 be any different from December 31st at 11:59? Other than the bar and restaurant owners being that much richer, that is? I used to think so myself. Then I began to think FOR myself.

'Tis the season to be jolly. So ever wonder why the suicide rate is so much higher over the holidays?

My family and I will have a nice dinner together, just like every other night, perhaps watch a movie with the kids on the video, and maybe, this year, stay awake until midnight. But probably not. It's the same midnight every night. Unless you buy into the merchandising.

The Fly Fisherman

You must be a barrel of laughs to be with!!