US-based check-in staff asking for visas?

Hello all, it's my first time posting. Some college friends of mine may be coming over here to visit this October. All are US citizens coming here for the first time. They will be on RT tix, and here for about two weeks or so - perfect for the visa exemption entry stamp. Two are flying here from the States, one from the EU. The two from the States are flying out from Portland Oregon and most likely JFK. How are the check-in staff in the USA nowadays about letting people board without a tourist visa? Should my friends get an SETV just in case? Or just check with their respective consulates or airline? I'm not too worried about my friend in the EU, who is resident there. Thanks for your time! 

Edited by kru duk
clarity

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They only check for visas if a person does not have a return or onward ticket within 30 days of arrival if from a country that qualifies for a visa exempt entry.

-----------------------------

But yes they may, though the statement above is correct.

Depends on the airline and the airline boarding  policy they go by.

It is an IATA regulation that if you do not have a Thai visa in your passport they must ask you that question.

For some airlines that question depends on how you are dressed, 

"Backpackers" and younger people are asked more often than  middle aged and elderly people.

46 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

"The two from the States are flying out from Portland Oregon and most likely JFK."

Just curious, why JFK.  Looks like the long way around.

Mac

I'm from Portland, have same question. May I suggest EVA? Get into swampy at 11:30 in the morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

"The two from the States are flying out from Portland Oregon and most likely JFK."

Mac

They may be traveling from different regions of the states.

For a person on the eastern region JFK would be a good choice. From the west Portland.

For the central region it is either one. Or from central region airports.

19 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

It is an IATA regulation that if you do not have a Thai visa in your passport they must ask you that question.

"Backpackers" and younger people are asked more often than  middle aged and elderly people.

"It is an IATA regulation that if you do not have a Thai visa in your passport they must ask you that question."

'Just don't think this is a true statement as written.  They only have to ask if you do not have a return or onward ticket within 30d, and even then some airlines may overlook it. I've even read accounts from a few saying they were allowed to sign some kind of affidavit or waiver accepting financial responsibility in lieu of having to show the onward ticket.

Edited by hawker9000

The only reason the airlines check is to protect themselves from having to pay to fly you out of the country in the event you're refused entry to Thailand and if you don't have a flight out already booked and paid for. The O/P stated his friends would have round trip tickets, so the check-in staff would be aware of that.   There is no "must ask you that question" that you dreamed up.

1 hour ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Pretty sure he meant one was flying from Portland and one from JFK. From around Chicago it's close to a toss up which direction you head off. On the west or east coasts, you'd probably head west or east respectively.

oh.... you mean cheap charlies in training ? those butt heads ?

Eva is ok but try to book an airline that is part of the Star Alliance frequent flier group.

Eva's frequent flier program sucks.  

A Star Alliance member can get you a free domestic (US) return flight for your miles to Bkk and return to the USA.  Doing a little research will bring benefits.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/member-airlines

56 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Pretty sure he meant one was flying from Portland and one from JFK. From around Chicago it's close to a toss up which direction you head off. On the west or east coasts, you'd probably head west or east respectively.

Not really, most flights to Thailand, even from JFK, fly west. Yes, there are exceptions but they are usually more expensive flights.

Mac

Depends on the airline used. I typically visit the US East Coast and normally fly Emirates from BKK-Dubai-JFK (or Boston), which is about 5-7 hours shorter than flying over the Pacific.
Of course with the current ban on laptops in the cabin from M/E flights, I am forced to go the long way this year.

2 hours ago, sstuff3 said:

Depends on the airline used. I typically visit the US East Coast and normally fly Emirates from BKK-Dubai-JFK (or Boston), which is about 5-7 hours shorter than flying over the Pacific.

That is Very Interesting!  You do not quote any timings, or how much of them is layover time.

How does your data compare with the quotes on this site:

http://m.prokerala.com/travel/flight-time/from-bangkok/to-new-york/

Ubonjoe answered the question correctly.

I repeat , immigration or boarding staff can ask you anything they want,

If they suspect that you are "telling porkies" they have the right to question further,

but,, return ticket within 30 days should not need a visa

4 hours ago, PGSan said:

That is Very Interesting!  You do not quote any timings, or how much of them is layover time.

How does your data compare with the quotes on this site:

http://m.prokerala.com/travel/flight-time/from-bangkok/to-new-york/

This was my flight schedule in July of last year.  BKK-Dubai-JFK

Depart Bangkok on EK375 at 0955

Arrive Dubai at 1300

Flight time = 6 hours, 5 minutes

Connection time = 2 hours

Depart Dubai on EK207 at 1500

Arrive JFK, NYC at 2045

Flight time = 13 hours 45 minutes

Total travel time BKK - JFK, NYC = 21 hours 50 minutes

On 6/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, kru duk said:

. Some college friends of mine may be coming over here to visit this October. All are US citizens coming here for the first time. ...

If entering Visa-Exempt, first-time visitors, with return-tickets - they should have no problem.  Likely, they will not be questioned at all.  BUT, they should each be carrying 10K Baht in Cash or Travelers Checks, absence of which which is a reason for denial of entry.  That money, plus showing the return-tickets, should overcome any problem upon entry.