Plastic Caps In Whisky Bottles

samtam

I don't normally drink whisky these days, but I have been buying it to serve to friends and both the Johnnie Walker and the Famous Grouse bottles have a plastic cap inside the metal screw cap, which seems to prevent the liquid from coming out. What is this for, (it's like a child protection cap), and is there some easy way to open allowing the liquid to flow easily? Regular users can doubtless put me straight. It seems strange that other bottles of alcohol don't have the same device, (and I'm very grateful that they don't!)

It's fairly common, especially in bottles designed for wholesale/bars/hotels, minimising evaporation of the alcohol (for example when the bottle is left open) but also to avoid free pouring accidents, I believe.

They are a bastard to get off, but they can be cut off with a good knife.

Thanks. Oh that's what it is?! I think I have tried that without success and then moved on to plan B: destroying the plastic bit.......which takes some doing! I'll try it again on the next bottle. One born every minute, as they say.

I don't normally drink whisky these days, but I have been buying it to serve to friends and both the Johnnie Walker and the Famous Grouse bottles have a plastic cap inside the metal screw cap, which seems to prevent the liquid from coming out. What is this for, (it's like a child protection cap), and is there some easy way to open allowing the liquid to flow easily? Regular users can doubtless put me straight. It seems strange that other bottles of alcohol don't have the same device, (and I'm very grateful that they don't!)

Unscrew cap, place bottle on a firm base,place thumb on centre spot of plastic insert, press firmly downwards. The centre section will move, and thus enable the precious contents to be poured easily.

The insert is there to prevent dilution,adulteration, or replacement of contents....