Marriage that never was - top lawyer gives his opinion

webfact

Marriage that never was - top lawyer gives his opinion

5pm.jpg

Source: TNews

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- A top lawyer has given his opinion for the courses of action available to the family of the bride who was dumped by her prospective husband.

The case caused a storm of comment after the groom turned up with only half the agreed dowry and a bit of gold.

An argument broke out and he left his bride standing there. Standing that was until she broke down in tears.

Though the case has been settled with an agreement to hold a smaller ceremony later many people were left asking what can be done in similar circumstances when such things happen.

Lawyer Kertphon Kaewkert had two main things to say.

Firstly that marriages of this nature have no legal standing whatsoever. Only marriage at a registry office is legal under the law. This is called "jot tabian somrot" in Thai.

The ceremony in this case was effectively an engagement where a formal marriage at a registry office may be made later.

But claims for returns of money can be made in the courts. For example if a family is out of pocket - as has happened in this case - they can claim for restitution of the funds.

And if things like household appliances have been bought but the marriage is never registered and one of the bride or groom ends up marrying someone else a claim for damages could be made to those who have lost money.

This would be a civil matter.

But the lawyer stress that agreements made surrounding engagements are definitely not enforceable in a court of law.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-27

Must be very sensible to have a marriage that isn´t a marriage. I do think they created this so they can have more husbands and wifes, but never be listed as a country where you can marry more than one person.

'many people were left asking what can be done in similar circumstances when such things happen'

Who cares about marrying someone you want to be with the rest of your life, what happens if they don't pay my family sufficiently!?!

I do love 'my' culture. And when I say 'my' I mean it's literally mine. No one else gets to dictate it to me. 

The groom showing up with 50 thousand baht was a test to see how greedy the bride and family were.

If I were him the wedding is off for good, and maybe a lesson learned by the woman and her family.

Greedy bunch of people they are.  Good on the groom to test the situation.

Geezer

" Though the case has been settled with an agreement to hold a smaller ceremony later many people were left asking what can be done in similar circumstances when such things happen. "

Many people seem to be very unsure about their relationship with their future partner. Maybe, money has become too central in their lives.

On 6/28/2017 at 5:09 AM, Smiley Face said:

I still think it's better to rent than to own when it comes to Thai ladies.

Haven't you seen those human robots made by japanese on Youtube? They look beautiful with real human like skin and computerised to speak language that you choose.

Thais men will soon be buying those robots it is economical to say the least and they speak Thai language too. It says, "Pee pai tham gan,  kit thern Pee mak" (translated to english: when you went to work I missed you so much). Then she would grasp your dick. See how romantic ? 

Just go watch on youtube you will be shock how human like those robots are. There are eyes movements as well.

I'm sure PM mr chan o cha will agree these robots can help solve some Thai male problems for the moment till they come up with some solutions after much meeting and discussions.

Japan number one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 5:07 AM, fruitman said:

During many weddings the money shown is not really given to the parents of the bride, it's just for show. The groom's family will get it back.

I asked my tg about this and she looked at me in disbelief. The same look I give her every time she talks about marriage...