TR Visa for Penang or Laos: onward ticket needed??

Hi all

My current thai visa expires July 15 so I need to book my flights out. Just need to decide where to go (cheapest / easiest preferably!)

I have previously done both Penang and Vientiane tourist visa runs, and found them both super easy. (In 2016). 

However I have recently read reports that proof of onward travel is required at Penang? And even 10 days hotel reservation? (Quite an added expense :/ )

Are these requirements also applicable to Vientiane and Savannaket? 

Can anyone confirm? 

Lastly, is there now a fee for Malay visa on arrival? (Not free any more?). If so, how much? 

The Lao visa is 35$, correct? 

Thank you all for your input! 

No ticket out is required at Vientiane.

Savannakhet wants a ticket out of the country now and finacial proof.

A one way ticket to a nearby country does not cost much if purchased in advance.

There is no fee for entry to Malaysia.

The fee for a Lao visa on arrival depends upon your nationality. See: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. You are a fountain of knowledge

So it seems like Vientiane is currently the 'easiest' in the region, would you agree? Only downside is the Lao visa... 

Have you heard anything about Penang requiring 10 days hotel reservation in addition to an onward flight? Do you think it differs depending on who applies: individual or agency? (I previously used reggae Jim, he was great). 

Thanks again

Went for a SETV in Penang 1 week ago. Ticket out of the country and hotel booking seem to be required..but an agency (such as JIM) will take care of that for a small fee. I prefer Penang to Vientiane. Having an agent deal with it is just a lot easier imo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 3stan said:

Went for a SETV in Penang 1 week ago. Ticket out of the country and hotel booking seem to be required..but an agency (such as JIM) will take care of that for a small fee. I prefer Penang to Vientiane. Having an agent deal with it is just a lot easier imo.

May I ask: what was the fee? 

From memory, Last time Jim charged me 190 ringgit total (150 for visa, 40 for his work). 

So how much extra to 'take care the ticket / hotel? 

Did you actually not have the ticket out, nor the hotel reservation? Yet you still got your visa? 

Thanks 

(I would prefer to go to Penang than Vientiane if possible, as it's more interesting IMO, but I could do without any hassle)

14 hours ago, mintberrycrunch said:

May I ask: what was the fee? 

From memory, Last time Jim charged me 190 ringgit total (150 for visa, 40 for his work). 

So how much extra to 'take care the ticket / hotel? 

Did you actually not have the ticket out, nor the hotel reservation? Yet you still got your visa? 

Thanks 

(I would prefer to go to Penang than Vientiane if possible, as it's more interesting IMO, but I could do without any hassle)

I think it was 50 ringit to take care of "hotel booking", and another 50 for "flight out of Thailand". Cant remember total cost though (would need to add visa cost + small "processing fee"). Yes, got the visa eventhough i had nothing with me. Jim always delivers. Its the hassle free way of getting a SETV in Thailand right now.

I agree regarding Vientiane. Been there 4 times already..seen everything. Penang def better, nice also to be able to fly directly to destination with no visa required. Fast and easy. Air asia flight, drop your passport the evening of arrival (Jim is open til really late), you get your passport back 2 days after at 2 pm.

Edited by 3stan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 3stan said:

I think it was 50 ringit to take care of "hotel booking", and another 50 for "flight out of Thailand". Cant remember total cost though (would need to add visa cost + small "processing fee"). Yes, got the visa eventhough i had nothing with me. Jim always delivers. Its the hassle free way of getting a SETV in Thailand right now.

I agree regarding Vientiane. Been there 4 times already..seen everything. Penang def better, nice also to be able to fly directly to destination with no visa required. Fast and easy. Air asia flight, drop your passport the evening of arrival (Jim is open til really late), you get your passport back 2 days after at 2 pm.

Do you have Jim contact info...thanks