Replace nylon trimmer string with steel wire/ good idea?

jobin

Seems a good idea to me.  After all, some weed wackers have steel blades and i do not like the nylon string  getting all tangled up nor littering my yard with plastic.  I'll get some suitable steel wire, wrap it round the head, clip to good length and have a go at the grass.

Any precautionary comments welcome.  I will wear eye protection.

To me the wire would just bend back on itself and become useless, the nylon is flexible and set for the purpose.
Don't think it will work, the blades are horrible to use at least the the flat 2 spokes not sure about the circular ones. They may be a bit less vibration and safer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

not sure how you would fix it at the spool end?

with nylon, the first rotation usually cuts it off to the correct length.with steel i agree with the above poster that it will just bend.

if its going to fly off you need full body protection and no one around you.

The idea of a strimmer originally was that the nylon was effective enough to cut grass but would not damage trees and would not damage your hand/foot when placed in the way.

The brush cutters with steel blades are really not for domestic grass cutting though they are used extensively.

My skill level with my brush cutter on the grass is such that I often have several large circles of exposed soil despite being careful....but they are lethal

Dont do it period......If you are having trouble with the Nylon...Get VORTEX trimmer wire...Looks like black licorice and the best there is..

It's  not cheap, so make it worthwhile and get a 100mtr roll...It will last you for years to come. About $80 for the 100mtr roll from memory.

Rgds

weegee