UK - Habitual Residency Test

Has anyone recently returned to live in the UK ?

I hold a UK passport, born in UK  in 1946.

I have been working since I was 15 in UK and abroad until retiring in 2011.

My UK retirement age would have been 60 but, I was working here in Thailand at the time.

Much of my working life has been overseas, especially since 1983 - not through choice.

I receive UK Basic State Pension, no add-ons.

I returned to UK in 2012 but could not get a place to rent, I returned to UK again in 2013 became a resident

but, unfortunately had to leave in 2014

I was still classed as resident for the Brexit vote and received a postal vote card for the recent election.

My questions are:-

Has anyone recently returned to UK as a UK National and found themselves non-resident or habitually non resident ?

If yes, how difficult was it to prove intention to stay ( which I intend to do as I have children and now grandchildren in UK )?

Finally has anyone 'returned' and had to do a HRT since the new regulations of 2014.

I have looked at Citizens Advice Bureau, good info but need to be face to face for real help.

I can understand peoples reticence to reply but any info or advice would be most welcome.

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Many thanks 'JoePai'.

I looked at both sites.

I think where I fall foul is the HRT part, previously when I owned property there that would score me extra points,

now I do not own property.

I am still registered with a doctor, have UK bank accounts and local library card, again points to me.

However, having been in Thailand since 2001 until 2011 working, with a few short visits to UK then, returning in 2011 until now, that's a lot of time away.

My last long stay in UK was for 10 months 2014 - 2015 for which I have proof of residence.

The Citizens Advice Bureau is a fantastic organisation - has to be over phone or face to face, unfortunately not by email etc.

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

How are you able to get a pension if no or very little taxes paid? I am in the same boat, except that I have been gone since age 4. Mid 50s now. I know USA has reciprocal agreements with the UK for pension, but how else do you qualify?

You can or could have paid class 2 or 3 NI contributions which contribute to the state pension.

This link may help or lead you closer to the promised land.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

How are you able to get a pension if no or very little taxes paid? I am in the same boat, except that I have been gone since age 4. Mid 50s now. I know USA has reciprocal agreements with the UK for pension, but how else do you qualify?

I started work when I was 15 in 1960, I left UK in 1968 and since that time have spent little time living / working in the UK.   I had a couple of 1 years between contracts ( not allowed to work for a similar company for 12 months ), the most recent time I spent 6 years based with a UK company but most of my time working overseas.

When working in European countries that had reciprocal pension agreements I forgot to get pension payments transferred, 

When working in Saudi there was a pension scheme for foreign workers jointly paid by the employee and employer,.   The final year I was there the government decided not to allow pensions for foreign workers, in my case I was already at 60% of salary ( 10 years gave you 100% ).     The government paid what was owed as a lump sum.

A friend who was from a European country, which allowed a person to pay the government the calculated amount due to provide a full pension on retirement, used his income from his Saudi contract to pay all.

In Thailand I paid income tax when I worked here but no forms of benefit are repaid.

From UK I receive only the very basic state pension, no extra benefits.    Its not much but can cover my costs here, just; it would not even cover the bills for water / electric / gas / land tax in the UK.

Edited by Speedo1968
Forgot sentence.
6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

As mentioned, you dont need to pay tax you just need to buy NI stamps (or get stamp credits).

I left the UK at the age of 20 but I paid my stamp by direct debit for 37 years. So I qualify for the full new state pension.