The Italian Restaurant Conspiracy In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

Boycott all Italian restaurants now as a preemptive strike.

Hit them before they hit us!

Other restaurants will, hopefully, see the damage done to the Italian restaurants and not copy this attempted rip off.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and see who tries it on, and only avoid these businesses? :D

Nah why wait? Avoid them all starting now its all over priced over hyped rubbish food anyway.

Stick to good old fashioned Thai food :o

Chicken, bone in

Fish, head on, guts in

Fatty pork, bone in

Too much salt

Too much sugar

Too much MSG

Smelly fish sauce

And those orrible little green cucumber thingies

And all this, sitting for hours at room temperature just fermenting away ! :D

Sounds loverly, don't keep it a secret where is this place?

Suggest you get a better accountant/lawyer combination. You are being miss advised

Who do you think you're fooling?

The system Cyberstar is referring to seem to be similar to the one in the west.

The only difference for Sweden is that we had 3 different procentage depending on what you were selling. The normal was 25% VAT (!!!!!!! yes, that was Sweden).

But for restaurants you add 25% on the bill. Then the restaurants pay the VAT to RD subtracted with all the VAT they have paid themselves.

A quite easy system when you be in it (if you not be in a business with all 3 VAT procentage).

If the restaurant charge service then NO tip! Simple like that.

:o:D :D

edit: when paying the bill, point out to the waiter that you already paid his tip in this servicecharge! Do that when you still have the bill in your hand.

Edited by svenivan

Seeing this got missed in the mêlée:

> Which italian restaurant in chiang mai does cheap, big, good portions of spaghetti?

> Vegetarian ones! Which part of town/how to get there?...

For vegetarian ones, also try one particular non-Italian little resto.. Cheap, veggie and very delicious. From memory portions are already on the large side, but it's cheap enough to order 2 if need be. :o

--> Blue Diamond restaurant in the sub-soi that connects Moon Muang Soi 7 with Soi 9. Close to the Soi 9 end of that sub-soi, on the corner in fact.

(Directions: Starting at Thapae Gate, go North along Moon Muang road, then take the last soi (soi 9) left, just after the Kasikorn Bank. Then it's at the intersection of the second sub-soi on the left, 10 meters down that soi.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Blue Diamond restaurant in the sub-soi that connects Moon Muang Soi 7 with Soi 9. Close to the Soi 9 end of that sub-soi, on the corner in fact.

(Directions: Starting at Thapae Gate, go North along Moon Muang road, then take the last soi (soi 9) left, just after the Kasikorn Bank. Then it's at the intersection of the second sub-soi on the left, 10 meters down that soi.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Could you compare the Blue Diamond restaurant with Ahm restauraunt at Thapae Gate for vegetarian food? :o

> Could you compare the Blue Diamond restaurant with Ahm restauraunt

> at Thapae Gate for vegetarian food?

I've tried Ahm (Aom) only twice or so. I think Blue Diamond has a.. how to say this... a more cheerful, 'fresh' menu and vibe to it. Aom does Northern style curries (spicy soups) the vegetarian way, which is interesting. Aom is more dedicated to hard-core veggie food, while Blue Diamond also has meat dishes on the menu, and they also cater to the Western concept of vegetarianism, meaning dishes (incl. breakfasts) that don't have meat but do have eggs or diary (yogurt, etc). Both places are tiny, but Blue Diamond, being more popular with long termers, can get cramped during meal times because of it. Blue Diamond is closed on Sundays, which sucks.

Both places are a challenge to park a car near. Blue Diamond you can park near the temple at the end of Soi 7, then walk down the sub-soi. For Aom I guess you'd park on the other side of Thapae gate or a bit further into Ratchadamnoen road.

Cheers,

Chanchao

We dined at Pum Pui a few nights ago..no sign of any service charge or VAT

My wife and I had lunch at 'La Casa' on the canal road just east of HuayKaew the other day. The portion size was larger than expected, the food tasted MUCH better than we expected, and the service was excellent! Plenty of parking space in the back. We waddled out stuffed to the gills and grinning like school kids. The cost for the two of us was less than 800 baht, and that DID include a 10% service charge as clearly stated on the bottom of each page, but I left a small tip just to say 'thanks' to the waitress.

I'd recommed this place to anyone who wants a really great meal and isn't concerned about saving 25 baht.

The Fly Fisherman :o

Have to agree ..every restaurant in town should hike its prices by 100%

Kind of like the markup on used books...

correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't the thread starter also recently called for a boycott of another business in chiang mai. who's next on the boycott list?

Ulysses G, how would you feel if someone started organizing a boycott of your business? your 4 stores are certainly hurting smaller book shops in the area, and the markup percentage that you've chosen could be described as excessive.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Fly, is "La Casa" the restaurant on the outer side of the klong road, going northbound after Huay Kaew? We found that to be quite good, two years ago. Beef lasagna was not dry!!

That's the place. :o

And I'll say it again; the food was great! The garlic bread could have had a bit more garlic, (but I think vanilla ice cream needs more garlic too.) The baked clams were magnificent. Next time I plan to at least double order them. I asked for a specially made calzone ( I wanted three different cheeses inside; riccotta, mozzarella, and parmisan) besides the spices and they had no trouble accomodating me at no extra cost. I did make the mistake of ordering their large size, though. It covered the entire dinner plate. The medium would have been more than enough.

The Fly Fisherman

Have to agree ..every restaurant in town should hike its prices by 100%

Kind of like the markup on used books...

correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't the thread starter also recently called for a boycott of another business in chiang mai. who's next on the boycott list?

Ulysses G, how would you feel if someone started organizing a boycott of your business? your 4 stores are certainly hurting smaller book shops in the area, and the markup percentage that you've chosen could be described as excessive.

This is not a thread about my businesses, but since a few trolls insist on pushing the issue, perhaps the mods will give me the leeway to respond.

Number one, as you are you well aware, I have never "called for" a boycott of the businesses on this thread (which were never named). I reported their intention to drastically raise prices by adding a involuntary service charge and asked for suggestions to stop this practice from spreading.

As to boycotting the huge, International Boots chain, as you could have figured out, I mentioned it humorously.

As far as my prices at my stores being high, I am afraid that you are misinformed. I buy books every day from each and every used bookstore in the Kingdom and I see what they are charging. Many of our books are cheaper than other places and the rest are mostly somewhere in the middle compared to other stores. Of course, some books that are very expensive and difficult to find have higher price tags, but you can always say no, if they are beyond for your budget. The truth is that the great majority of customers tell me that our prices are quite reasonable.

As far as my stores hurting others, I opened before any of the other owners and they decided to compete against me. At one time, they were hurting my business until I decided to open more stores.

I am not very sympathetic anyway. Most of them are not readers, never have been, and know very little about books. They decided to open a used bookstore because they thought that it would be easier than a bar, but - if you do it right - it is not. You can sit at home and hope that the place will run itself, but when you are competing against a life-long reader who loves his work, you might have to dip into your huge pension to pay the rent.

If my stores are hurting other book shops, I would guess that it is because we have an excellent, professional staff who have all worked in bookshops before, an owner who orders, searches for, thinks about, and works with books 365 days a year and, most importantly, a bigger and much better selection of books than the businesses that are suffering.

Maybe they should have just stuck to running bars after all? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

This is not a thread about my businesses, but since a few trolls insist on pushing the issue, perhaps the mods will give me the leeway to respond.

Fascinating...you can analyze, dissect, criticize and bless businesses by name, but when when other members begin to apply any measure of the same standards to your bookstores, they're called trolls.

And I can can tell you that many long-time locals do not hold the same opinion of the prices and practices of your shops as you do.

I myself stopped going a long time ago. Statement of fact, not trolling.

The last ten of your twelve posts have been directed towards starting a fight with me about my business. That is what I call a troll.

Some people don't like me and some people don't like my stores. Well that is a shame.

However, I see thousands of the same old faces coming back year after year filled with with nothing but smiles and compliments and we do by far outsell every other used bookshop in the Northern Thailand.

I must be doing something right! :o