Chiang Mai To Vientiane Tourist Visa Run!

cjnst2

Ok. So I've been doing the monthly runs for the past 4 or 5 months and now it's time to get a tourist visa.

I'm planning on making my first TV run to Vientiane from Chiang Mai. I've never applied or been issued a tourist visa before so I have some questions. I also have some questions regarding the trip to Vientiane that might be able to be answered by some have you that live near Chiang Mai.

Ok ..here goes.

1) I need a Laos visa. It seems from reading that I can get one from a travel agent. It will cost me between $30 - $40. This should allow me to enter Laos. I can't get this at the border or the airport ...correct? meaning I should get it in Chiang Mai before I leave. What is the time frame on this visa? Can I walk in and get it in a matter of minutes or do I have to wait a day or so.

2)Is there somewhere I can downlioad the TV application and fill it out ahead of time or should I just pick one up when I get into Laos at the consulate. Should I bring two small pictures with me or can this be done for a fee at the consulate.

3)From what I read it seems it will take a couple of days for the TV to be processed. If this is true...any suggestions on accomodation is Laos?

4)Finally...flying from Chiang Mai to Vientiane seems to be about $200 round trip. Is the airport close to the consulate or your recommended accomodation? How long is the trip via bus if I would go that route?

Thanks for any help and I may add to this thread if needed if a new question comes up.

1) I need a Laos visa. It seems from reading that I can get one from a travel agent. It will cost me between $30 - $40. This should allow me to enter Laos. I can't get this at the border or the airport ...correct? meaning I should get it in Chiang Mai before I leave. What is the time frame on this visa? Can I walk in and get it in a matter of minutes or do I have to wait a day or so.

You can get a "Visa on Arrival" at any Lao border crossing.

2)Is there somewhere I can downlioad the TV application and fill it out ahead of time or should I just pick one up when I get into Laos at the consulate. Should I bring two small pictures with me or can this be done for a fee at the consulate.

No need to download the application, but you should have the photos with you when you arrive. You'll also need 1 or 2 photos for the Lao visa.

4)Finally...flying from Chiang Mai to Vientiane seems to be about $200 round trip. Is the airport close to the consulate or your recommended accomodation? How long is the trip via bus if I would go that route?

You can also fly Nok Air to Udon Thani for $30 each way, take a $5 van to Nong Khai, a sontheiuw to the border and a tuk-tuk from the bridge to Vientiane.

el_jefe's NokAir flight is my usual recommended (and experienced) route. Only downside is you won't make the noon deadline at the consulate (if there still is one). Not a big deal, you just stay overnight Nong Khai or in Vientiane (down by the Mekong is nice) and go in the morning. You leave your passport overnight and pick up in the a.m. again. So it ends up a two night trip. First trip to Vientiane, two nights is fine, lots of good food and the "sunset" bars on the river. Longer than that, never tried.

I've done the overnight train from BKK quite a few times and made the noon deadline and done the trip in a single night, but I think a slower more relaxed pace is worth the extra night.

Edited by calibanjr.