Highways Department ready to deal with traffic during Buddhist Lent holiday

rooster59

Highways Department ready to deal with traffic during Buddhist Lent holiday

supawadee wangsri

BANGKOK, 7 July 2017 (NNT) - The Department of Highways has prepared to accommodate the higher volume of travelers expected during the Buddhist Lent holiday. 

Director-General of the Department of Highways Thanin Somboon said that during the Asalha Puja and Buddhist Lent holidays from July 8th - 10th, a large number of people are expected to travel to Bangkok's neighboring provinces, such as Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Ayutthaya and Prachuap Khiri Khan. The greater volume of motorists could cause traffic jams and heavy traffic on major routes. 

The department head ordered offices under the Department of Highways across the country to prepare to accommodate travelers and ensure their safety during the holidays. He advised travelers to take extra precautions during the rainy season and strictly follow traffic rules. 

In cases of emergency, please call the department's 24-hour hotline 1586.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-07-08

"The department head ordered offices under the Department of Highways across the country to prepare to accommodate travelers and ensure their safety during the holidays. He advised travelers to take extra precautions during the rainy season and strictly follow traffic rules."

Best laugh I've had all day! 

As it's only a three day weekend it will not be THE big nationwide rush.

I see that here. Granddaughters coming home from 100 and 130 km but not from Bangkok (400 km).

Just expect mad crowds at the shopping malls, water parks etc.

"Family days".

And maybe a bit more than the usual Bangkok escape to Pattaya?

I stopped in the small shop last night and immediately noticed 2 prominent black curtains hanging above near the cash register.  I knew well that behind the curtains lay packets of cigarettes.  I had never before seen the curtain.  I asked why?  "New govt order to hide the cigarettes."  Oh, ok.

But what about the many bottles of rum, whiskey, gin, wine and Korean soju still openly displayed, even promoted?  "Those remain perfectly fine on open display and would you like to buy one?"  No thanks.

Social evils?  Alcohol far and away more socially damaging than cigarettes.  But the Thai govt must have a different spin on evil.  or tax revenue.

10 hours driving yesterday... there are some right dorks on the road.... heavy rainfall reduced sight to about 30 metres, in darkness, and lots of surface water... With 4 wheel drive no problem for me to continue at 80 kph... then along come the cowboys in 2 wheel drive at 100 kph (speed limit 90 kph) passing in no passing zones endangering themselves, their passengers and other innocent motorists!! Complete f*ckwits.... yet the Police are busy at roadblocks, drug tested my passenger AGAIN...and don't give a damn about dangerous driving!!!

and 15 minutes stopped the traffic at roadworks in Kabinburi... queue of 5 kms plus...didn't seem to me they were ready at all

2 hours ago, wirat69 said:

10 hours driving yesterday... there are some right dorks on the road.... heavy rainfall reduced sight to about 30 metres, in darkness, and lots of surface water... With 4 wheel drive no problem for me to continue at 80 kph... then along come the cowboys in 2 wheel drive at 100 kph (speed limit 90 kph) passing in no passing zones endangering themselves, their passengers and other innocent motorists!! Complete f*ckwits.... yet the Police are busy at roadblocks, drug tested my passenger AGAIN...and don't give a damn about dangerous driving!!!

and 15 minutes stopped the traffic at roadworks in Kabinburi... queue of 5 kms plus...didn't seem to me they were ready at all

how does 4  wheel drive help?? surely if you aquaplane its of no use?

"All-wheel drive vehicles are more likely to hydroplane than two-wheel drive vehicles, because their computerized differentials may shift power from the front to the rear tires, creating a hydroplaning situation. "

6 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

You should be careful criticising Thai's whilst advertising the fact that you have no idea that which wheels are driven has nothing to do with how easy it is for your car to hydroplane. 30 metres visibility is unsuitable for 50km/h, so by your own testimony you're doing exactly what you define as 'f*ckwit' behaviour at 80.

The point you're making is actually quite right - the police receive instructions and carry them out.

It's nothing to do with policing, or catching dangerous driving or encouraging better behaviour. Similar to my earlier criticisms of the same police waving a mother with 2 kids and no helmets out of a school, the next day standing in the street stopping all bikes to collect fines, the next day standing directing traffic and completely ignoring all manner of offensive and dangerous behaviours (so many people just failing to negotiate simple turns because they're trying to finish a job on the phone...).