missing Schengen exit stamp

In October 2015 I entered and exited Schengen (Schiphol Amsterdam) with my 'son', who is on multiple entry visa. Entry stamp is there, as are exit and entry stamp to Thailand, but exit stamp Schengen is missing. This may lead to confusion about the number of days he has spent in Schengen.

I presume the computer records and/or Thai stamps will clarify, but do I run a risk he will be denied entry in October 2017 because he has spent more than the allowable time in Schengen area?

I also asked the question to Dutch immigration, but I'm not counting on a quick answer there.

12 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Is that relevant as a new Schengen visa will surely be required for October ?

Yes, it is relevant. Multiple entry valid from 22-10-2015 till 17-11-2018.

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Do they even have passport control on departure?  Maybe like the UK only check on entry.

Don't remember.

But I do know right now, looking at to Dutch immigration confirmable stamps, he is still in country. So I would like to hear from somebody in the know if I have to take any action, or whether he will be registered in the computer as having left the country in October 2015.

Just read a text in German about the stamping.

No surprise that it is hard to understand.

But it really sounds that there has to be an exit/departure stamp to proof that the didn't overstay (more than 90 days). Laughable but true: due to the text there is NO OTHER system that records entry/exit of non Schengen nationals!

Question: do you have other proof (like travel documents) of the last trip out of Schengen?

Maybe he could get a record from the airline/passenger list (for a fee?).

Also: he has exit and entry stamp to Thailand from that trip (less than 90 days).

Together this should be enough to convince the Dutch immigration that there was no overstay.

I assume you have checked thoroughly through the whole passport that there is no exit stamp (arrow to the left).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just read a text in German about the stamping.

No surprise that it is hard to understand.

But it really sounds that there has to be an exit/departure stamp to proof that the didn't overstay (more than 90 days). Laughable but true: due to the text there is NO OTHER system that records entry/exit of non Schengen nationals!

Question: do you have other proof (like travel documents) of the last trip out of Schengen?

Maybe he could get a record from the airline/passenger list (for a fee?).

Also: he has exit and entry stamp to Thailand from that trip (less than 90 days).

Together this should be enough to convince the Dutch immigration that there was no overstay.

I assume you have checked thoroughly through the whole passport that there is no exit stamp (arrow to the left).

Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks.

I'll look into travel documents from previous trip.

1 hour ago, mgb said:

Due to the schengen rules the passport holder has to prove in a other way if a exit stamp is missing.
A entry stamp from Thailand afterwards is a good proof.

Thanks, looks like I'll have to do that together with the earlier mentioned flight information.

I'd await confirmation from Donutz to be sure, but I suspect it is very similar to the UK.

As Upnotover says, passports are not routinely stamped on exiting the UK, and in any subsequent visa application UKVI assume that the person left the UK on time unless they have reason to believe otherwise.

Entry stamps at the next destination can be useful if they wish to check. Assuming there are entry stamps; many countries don't routinely stamp the passports of their own nationals upon entry, including Thailand.

Edited by 7by7

Passports are stamped upon exit of the Schengen area and certainly on Schiphol. My wife's passports contains entry and exit stamps for NL and an other Schengen state. An exit stamp definitely should have been there.

The entry stamp to Thailand and tickets should be enough to show there was no overstay. I'd expect a comment or questions but no more than that. But better yet wait for the IND (immigration servives) or KMar (border control) to confirm in writing and carry that too on the next trip to and from the Schengen area . 

• Like 2

Do they even have passport control on departure?  Maybe like the UK only check on entry.

Whilst there are no regular embarkation controls when exiting the UK, so no stamps in passports, the carriers collect information of all those exiting the UK, including those leaving by train, the data is passed onto the UKBA who check for overstays.

No answer from IND yet, so will try to get flight out confirmation from airline. That together with Thailand entry stamp should be proof.

If IND answers I'll report back here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just found that on the statutory guarantee declaration it is stated that an entry stamp to the country of origin is seen as proof of leaving the country. That together with the tickets out should do it, because the airline I traveled with in 2015 can not provide the information and the IND has not answered yet.

After having been referred to 3 different addresses I now have to check with somewhere without email address. So I have given up on checking with authorities, and will do as said: trust that the Thai entry stamp together with the official statement on the guarantee form than an entry stamp to country of origin is seen as proof of leaving Schengen will do.

Thanks all who contributed.

• Like 1