Basic Motorbike Liability Insurance

mesquite

Questions.

Where is the best place to buy the basic motorbike liability insurance, the kind you need to have to get the bike tax sticker?

Can I buy it at the DMV where I pay the tax and get the sticker?  Or is there a better place?

Thanks.

I bought my 1st class insurance from my local vehicle test centre who did both, tax and insurance for me in one day.

The insurance only cost 300 Baht, so IMo it seems hardly worth the bother of shopping around.

Just to clarify part of your statement

motorbike liability insurance

Before  you do your Road Tax Or Registration

You have to purchase the Road Insurance which is compulsory before you can pay for your Road Tax Or Registration

Because this is different from most countries the way they do it

This covers a basic Personal  Accident Only Insurance  not covered for your own bike repairs

If you need a Compulsory Insurance this can bought at several Places

You can incorporate your Road Insurance with your own accident Cover

I found this out recently when i registered my bike after the 1 year from new

I an still learning how the system works

Edited by Lizard2010

10 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Just to clarify part of your statement

motorbike liability insurance

Before  you do your Road Tax Or Registration

You have to purchase the Road Insurance which is compulsory before you can pay for your Road Tax Or Registration

Because this is different from most countries the way they do it

This covers a basic Personal  Accident Only Insurance  not covered for your own bike repairs

If you need a Compulsory Insurance this can bought at several Places

You can incorporate your Road Insurance with your own accident Cover

I found this out recently when i registered my bike after the 1 year from new

I an still learning how the system works

I guess I mean Road Insurance instead of liability insurance.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I bought my 1st class insurance from my local vehicle test centre who did both, tax and insurance for me in one day.

The insurance only cost 300 Baht, so IMo it seems hardly worth the bother of shopping around.

Most if not all test centers sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

Another question: Can I show up at that office near Holiday Inn with the green book and NOT the bike?  I would rather drive the car over there.  I am wondering if they want to look at the bike for some sort of ID number.  I just can't remember what they did last year.  Any input is appreciated.

15 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Another question: Can I show up at that office near Holiday Inn with the green book and NOT the bike?  I would rather drive the car over there.  I am wondering if they want to look at the bike for some sort of ID number.  I just can't remember what they did last year.  Any input is appreciated.

If your bike is less than 5 years old you can pay the road tax without the green book. I had a photo copy, and then later with the receipt they will update your tax page of the book.

If the bike is 5 years or more older you need it tested, so it must be present. Will they do it without a green book? Maybe.

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

If your bike is less than 5 years old you can pay the road tax without the green book. I had a photo copy, and then later with the receipt they will update your tax page of the book.

If the bike is 5 years or more older you need it tested, so it must be present. Will they do it without a green book? Maybe.

Thanks.  It's 3 years old.  I will have the green book with me.

Edited by mesquite

To follow up, I went down to the DMV by Holiday Inn with the green book and the place was so crowded I left.  I then talked to a Thai friend who called someone else and he went there the next day with the green book only and obtained the sticker.

I should have done that from the start :).