Top Thai drug enforcer says "E-cigarettes are bad for you"

webfact

Shame on them for this policy.

I'm a former smoker and former vaper.

Thailand will not be getting one cigarette tax baht from me again.

They could however have plenty of vaping tax bahts if they weren't so stupid,  narrow minded and greedy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...because they don't bring tax to the government coffers to pay thousand of nurses a decent salary and provide them with a proper work contract.

Note: everyone who will reply to this post mentioning submarine, tanks and fighter jet purchases maybe subject to attitude adjustment...

Actually this is the extent of Thai's intelligence.

You either answer with the answer provided by the teacher, the authority, the government... or you don't answer at all.

If your answer doesn't match, then it's the wrong answer.

My most recent example of this with my son's homework:

'Write a sentence' can have many meanings. You can only get it right if you remember the direct instruction given by the teacher.

Thus, after doing a week of 'This is a pencil' and 'that is a book' and 'it is a rock' sentences, he got his homework wrong becaues he wrote 'this is a grandmother' and 'this is a jampii flower' and the teacher expects him to write 'I love my grandmother' and 'My mother buys 'Jampii' flowers'.

Everything is in context, nothing has absolute truth. Thus any action can be correct...

The only thing clear to us is that somewhere near the top of the pyramid, where the millionaires live and never eat mooncake costing less than 1000 baht per bite - there's a lot of very loud laughter.

And just this morning I read that the US FDA "proposes cigarette nicotine cut, shift toward e-cigarettes."

If link allowed:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fda-tobacco-regulation-idUSKBN1AD1VW

E-cigarettes allow the user to choose the nicotine level of their vaping "juice" (something that a smoker can not do with standard cigarettes), and thus wean themselves away from a nicotine addiction gradually.

I used to vape here in Thailand, but the lack of quality "juices", lack of reliable vendors and replacement parts, drove me back to cigarettes. I might add that my increasing paranoia regarding the Thai government's position on vaping was also a huge factor.

Quite a depressing state of affairs actually,  and I'm convinced that the Thai gov't stance is certainly motivated by shady economic factors.

Hello 

I just got a very sad news about a friend who is a vaper (using e-cigarettes instead of smoking tobacco) which I want to share to this community to warn every vaper to be very careful, the police seems to become more and more strict concerning law against e-cigs. Vaper are treated like drugsmuggler. This is really true and not a made up story (like some other I read). 

On July 26, 2017, a close friend of my local shop was arrested in the streets of Thailand because he used an e-cigarette. To pre-empt any doubts: The police, the Swiss Embassy, and other affected agencies were informed that our friend had not been otherwise illegally involved. Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge.

We are aware that some countries have difficulty dealing with e-cigarettes. In Thailand, the situation seems relatively unclear and arbitrary. Apparently even in Thailand itself exists a lively, official market for e-cigarettes and the image of vaping people is no longer special in Thailand - although vaping is officially illegal in Thailand. Well, quite obviously a police officer on that date decided that vaping was "extra" illegal today. He was arrested, led away, and sat six days in jail - completely cut off from the environment, without real contact and under degrading and humiliating conditions.

Of course, embassies, relatives, friends, and also we did everything possible to get him out of prison as quickly as possible, but this has been proved incredibly difficult. In the meantime the deposit could be made. Our friend was able to leave the prison yesterday and is now waiting for the effective trial. A judgment could be an immediate deportation to up to 5 years imprisonment. We now hope that our friend will be able to leave the situation undamaged, to leave Thailand as soon as possible and to go home.

In this way we want to warn the community: If anyone of you plans to visit Thailand, please leave your vape gears at home! That's no joke. Our friend has to serve as a precedent, that no one has seen coming. No matter what you read on the net, do not take the risk. Please take care of yourself.

You are more than welcome to share this letter.

a close friend of my local shop was arrested in the streets of Thailand because he used an e-cigarette.  

Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes.

Well, quite obviously a police officer on that date decided that vaping was "extra" illegal today. He was arrested, led away, and sat six days in jail - completely cut off from the environment, without real contact and under degrading and humiliating conditions.

Our friend was able to leave the prison yesterday and is now waiting for the effective trial. A judgment could be an immediate deportation to up to 5 years imprisonment. We now hope that our friend will be able to leave the situation undamaged, to leave Thailand

Hope the outcome is positive for your friend.

Was he a tourist? And where was he picked up using the vape?

The above specific quotes from your post sends a really shabby message back to the home Countries of people visiting Thailand and having run ins with the RTP like this.

Be careful at immigration (flash the cash), be careful what you say online, be careful who you invite for a drink as you're promoting alcohol and be careful using an e cig.

So much of the above is arbitrary in the law and left to the discretion of the respective official. 6 days in the hole for what could be considered a first time offence. Why not a slap on the wrist and confiscation, and/or a measly fine? What did he carry that made it look like he was importing as opposes to personal use?

For a Country that purports to care enough about tourism by having a pseudo tourist police arm, they are missing the pin when dealing with individual cases on the ground.

Most Countries you visit you would expect to be careful of your surroundings and watch your back, however in Thailand your proximity to anyone in uniform is more detrimental to your safety and well being.

Well done Thailand, another small but significant reason to deter tourists in favour of alternative destinations where you don't run the risk of winding up in the can for something that is legal, common and accepted across the world.

Full disclaimer, I am aware that vaping use is illegal here, it's just shocking how this case shows enormous lack of pragmatism.

If they really are serious about vaping why don't they just go to all the markets and shut down the supply? Start with the one's beside the police box in nana, trading in broad daylight. Fine individual users and confiscate all goods. Less paperwork, more money.

The Embassies must have better things to be doing than dealing with Serpico and his "massive" vape bust.

1 hour ago, coulson said:

Hope the outcome is positive for your friend.

Was he a tourist? And where was he picked up using the vape?

The above specific quotes from your post sends a really shabby message back to the home Countries of people visiting Thailand and having run ins with the RTP like this.

Be careful at immigration (flash the cash), be careful what you say online, be careful who you invite for a drink as you're promoting alcohol and be careful using an e cig.

So much of the above is arbitrary in the law and left to the discretion of the respective official. 6 days in the hole for what could be considered a first time offence. Why not a slap on the wrist and confiscation, and/or a measly fine? What did he carry that made it look like he was supplying and not just personal use?

For a Country that purports to care enough about tourism by having a pseudo tourist police arm, they are missing the pin when dealing with individual cases on the ground.

Most Countries you visit you would expect to be careful of your surroundings and watch your back, however in Thailand your proximity to anyone in uniform is more detrimental to your safety and well being.

Well done Thailand, another small but significant reason to deter tourists in favour of alternative destinations where you don't run the risk of winding up in the can for something that is legal, common and accepted across the world.

Full disclaimer, I am aware that vaping use is illegal here, it's just shocking how this case shows enormous lack of pragmatism.

If they really are serious about vaping why don't they just go to all the markets and shut down the supply? Start with the one's beside the police box in nana, trading in broad daylight. Fine individual users and confiscate all goods. Less paperwork, more money.

The Embassies must have better things to be doing than dealing with Serpico and his "massive" vape bust.

Someone should get in touch with the equivalent of the FCO in their home countries to encourage them to change the official travel advice to people travelling to Thailand regarding this law and its new vigorous enforcement,

People need to be warned that they face prison for doing something which is normal in most of the civilised world.

I need a media source for this story, was it reported anywhere, even in Thai ?

5 hours ago, SueH said:

Hello 

I just got a very sad news about a friend who is a vaper (using e-cigarettes instead of smoking tobacco) which I want to share to this community to warn every vaper to be very careful, the police seems to become more and more strict concerning law against e-cigs. Vaper are treated like drugsmuggler. This is really true and not a made up story (like some other I read). 

On July 26, 2017, a close friend of my local shop was arrested in the streets of Thailand because he used an e-cigarette. To pre-empt any doubts: The police, the Swiss Embassy, and other affected agencies were informed that our friend had not been otherwise illegally involved. Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge.

We are aware that some countries have difficulty dealing with e-cigarettes. In Thailand, the situation seems relatively unclear and arbitrary. Apparently even in Thailand itself exists a lively, official market for e-cigarettes and the image of vaping people is no longer special in Thailand - although vaping is officially illegal in Thailand. Well, quite obviously a police officer on that date decided that vaping was "extra" illegal today. He was arrested, led away, and sat six days in jail - completely cut off from the environment, without real contact and under degrading and humiliating conditions.

Of course, embassies, relatives, friends, and also we did everything possible to get him out of prison as quickly as possible, but this has been proved incredibly difficult. In the meantime the deposit could be made. Our friend was able to leave the prison yesterday and is now waiting for the effective trial. A judgment could be an immediate deportation to up to 5 years imprisonment. We now hope that our friend will be able to leave the situation undamaged, to leave Thailand as soon as possible and to go home.

In this way we want to warn the community: If anyone of you plans to visit Thailand, please leave your vape gears at home! That's no joke. Our friend has to serve as a precedent, that no one has seen coming. No matter what you read on the net, do not take the risk. Please take care of yourself.

"more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes."

Do you think this is the key?  I can't really see such harsh action for merely using one.

Just pontificating, but I wonder if you can be nicked for using nicotine free liquid, which would of course mean the offence is inhaling flavoured steam.  If so, don't stand too close to a coffee machine!:smile:

37 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

"more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes."

Do you think this is the key?  I can't really see such harsh action for merely using one.

Just pontificating, but I wonder if you can be nicked for using nicotine free liquid, which would of course mean the offence is inhaling flavoured steam.  If so, don't stand too close to a coffee machine!:smile:

Anyone who flies to Thailand on holiday and brings one of these devices and the liquids with them is importing both the device and the liquids...

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Anyone who flies to Thailand on holiday and brings one of these devices and the liquids with them is importing both the device and the liquids...

Hmm!  What I was getting at was perhaps the possibility of numbers.  Just wondering really, because it seems incredibly harsh.

On 7/26/2017 at 3:23 AM, Prbkk said:

Just idiotic. As the rest of the world accepts that e-cigs, although not without risk, are far better than analogues, Thailand buries the head , ignores the evidence and misses an opportunity.

Very much like the Asbestos saga discussed here a few months ago when someone with special knowledge said there was no everdience to show it was a killer. In the rest of the world its been proved to be so and banned in use.

$Billions has been paid out through the courts in compensation, around the world but its still considered safe to use here. Money talks.

11 minutes ago, battersea said:

What happens if i bring a vape back from UK...will i get shafted at the airport ???

Probably not because they're very slack at checking anything at the airport.

But if you're caught using it you could end up locked up for a week like in the story above.

27 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Probably not because they're very slack at checking anything at the airport.

But if you're caught using it you could end up locked up for a week like in the story above.

Not only using it: if the report is accurate the offence is importing it.

I'm flying to Bkk later this month.  Regrettably, the vape stick stays at home.

I do wonder if we have the full story.  What a bother, and bang goes my leisurely vape in the park after exercise.  Plain ridiculous. 

Edited by mommysboy

Not only using it: if the report is accurate the offence is importing it.

I'm flying to Bkk later this month.  Regrettably, the vape stick stays at home.

I do wonder if we have the full story.  What a bother, and bang goes my leisurely vape in the park after exercise.  Plain ridiculous. 

The story made it onto a vaping site.

http://vaping360.com/vaper-arrested-thailand/

Evidently the importation is what carries the penalty, so claiming the device came from a local market may avoid this?

Not worth the risk, it's down to the mood of the officer at the end of the day.

Hello again, thx for all your reactions. Nearly everybody in the thai vaping community have great doubts about such a sudden and harsh punishment happening to a tourist only because of vaping in public or carrying his own e-cig (possession is legal). There is not one such case ever happened until now, only some  reports about "agreements" (cash) when getting caught in public or in cars. That happens often.

I wonder, why the thai press doesn't report this case, normally they are really after such "sensational" news about farangs no following the rules ;) .

Only one paper (never heard of it) quotes this case:
https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/swiss-tourist-facing-e-cigarette-charges/ but has no detailed information either. 

Today Swiss Paper added un update:

In recent months, however, Thailand has tightened the fight against e-cigarettes. According to the Bangkok Post, the Ministry of Health of Thailand announced two months ago that stricter rules for e-cigarettes would be introduced in mid-year.
In the last two months there have been several raids and arrests related to the e-cigarette trade, according to media from Thailand. The new policy of the government might also explain the strict action against the Swiss.

Edited by SueH

6 hours ago, coulson said:

The story made it onto a vaping site.

http://vaping360.com/vaper-arrested-thailand/

Evidently the importation is what carries the penalty, so claiming the device came from a local market may avoid this?

Not worth the risk, it's down to the mood of the officer at the end of the day.

Yeah, I was about to write much the same.

The same can also be said for other issues in Thailand,eg, working on incorrect visa, and buying land.  And then there is the general sin clamp down.  I still maintain that if you keep a low profile you will probably be ok, but it is less of a probably than a decade ago thats for sure.

Bit scary.

1 hour ago, SueH said:

Hello again, thx for all your reactions. Nearly everybody in the thai vaping community have great doubts about such a sudden and harsh punishment happening to a tourist only because of vaping in public or carrying his own e-cig (possession is legal). There is not one such case ever happened until now, only some  reports about "agreements" (cash) when getting caught in public or in cars. That happens often.

I wonder, why the thai press doesn't report this case, normally they are really after such "sensational" news about farangs no following the rules ;) .

Only one paper (never heard of it) quotes this case:
https://www.stickboybkk.com/news/swiss-tourist-facing-e-cigarette-charges/ but has no detailed information either. 

Today Swiss Paper added un update:

This is an interesting development, I did a search for the company mentioned in the stickboy article who made the device and looked over their facebook page.

A lot of people are asking questions about going to Thailand with vaping devices on the 'StattQualm' facebook page.

I am pretty sure that more details about this case will emerge in the coming weeks.

For those who don't have facebook accounts, this is what it says :

Image from post :

thai-vape.png.fae5a7158ea6846919ee01216ff84b74.png

Text from post :

***WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING***

Dear vape community

In the following letter we would like to inform the community about a matter of great importance. We are deeply affected and personally involved in the incident, but renounce mentioning any names out of respect for relatives and family members. Nevertheless we are forced to warn the community:

On July 26, 2017, a close friend of StattQualm was arrested in the streets of Thailand because he used an e-cigarette. To pre-empt any doubts: The police, the Swiss Embassy, and other affected agencies were informed that our friend had not been otherwise illegally involved. Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge.

Team StattQualm

MOHwV6Vub9q.pngfeeling anxious.

It won't be long before this story is picked up by the global press.

Edited by ukrules

"Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge."

This is confusing.  I find it very difficult to believe that using the cigarette even in public would attract such a draconian charge, which is roughly on par with the supply of class A drugs.  I don't know if the use of plural is significant.

Nevertheless, extreme caution is the order of the day, especially given today's climate of sustained crackdowns.  UK citizens in particular need to be warned, because smokers in this country are almost encouraged to use e-cigs over traditional smokes.

My take is that 90% of people come to Thailand precisely because they want a free and easy place with cheap prices- it certainly isn't for the clean beaches, sophisticated culture, or safety. 

59 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

"Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge."

This is confusing.  I find it very difficult to believe that using the cigarette even in public would attract such a draconian charge, which is roughly on par with the supply of class A drugs.  I don't know if the use of plural is significant.

Nevertheless, extreme caution is the order of the day, especially given today's climate of sustained crackdowns.  UK citizens in particular need to be warned, because smokers in this country are almost encouraged to use e-cigs over traditional smokes.

My take is that 90% of people come to Thailand precisely because they want a free and easy place with cheap prices- it certainly isn't for the clean beaches, sophisticated culture, or safety. 

I fear that vapors have turned into marks for shake-downs..In no way whatsoever is the government worried about your health...