Concept2 introduces The New BikeERG

TaveewatLim

New toy for indoor cyclist.

The Concept2 BikeErg is the latest addition to our family of sports-based ergometers. The BikeErg has the same flywheel and Performance Monitor as our Concept2 Indoor Rowers and SkiErgs, bringing to cycling the strengths and features we've previously brought to rowing and cross-country skiing.

The flywheel uses air resistance to create a smooth, quiet ride that responds to your efforts. The damper is your gearing, allowing you to adjust the feel of your ride. Unlike most stationary bikes, the BikeErg has a clutch, so just like a real bike, when you stop pedaling, the flywheel keeps on spinning.

The sophisticated Performance Monitor gives you instantaneous workout feedback, with a wide variety of displays and workouts to choose from. The Performance Monitor is calibrated to ensure accuracy so you'll be able to directly compare your times and distances with other people, as well as track your progress.

bikeerg-male.jpg

bikeerg-female.jpg

bikeerg-pm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

(I missed your post as I have just noticed there's a new fitness forum. That's a great idea)

I want one of these. They won't be available over this end of the world until the first quarter of next year. They are only available on pre-order in the US at present, and I imagine they will go fast owing to Concept2's stellar reputation.

I may wait until they introduce a 2nd generation though. Then you can be assured that all the "kinks" have been ironed out. I also would like to see some reviews by people who use it.

I'd hold off until they come out with the recumbent model.  Too old to have that seat up my prostate and my back in that strained position. Riding an MTB, or even my e-bikes always results in hand numbness after a few km.

And I'd go out of my way to buy it if it was a recumbent powered model with toe clips where my legs got the benefit of moving even if I didn't feel like exerting myself.  In fact, I suspect both of my parents would have lived longer had something like that been available, along with a video screen so they could recline back and pedal effortlessly while watching Wheel of Fortune.  They were too tired to exercise, so they didn't.  So they got more tired.  Until they got so out of shape their hearts quit on them.

Let's see some exercise equipment for old farts.  Lots of money under those mattresses...  And the field is pretty crowded with exercycles for the hip, slick and cool.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd hold off until they come out with the recumbent model.  Too old to have that seat up my prostate and my back in that strained position. Riding an MTB, or even my e-bikes always results in hand numbness after a few km.

And I'd go out of my way to buy it if it was a recumbent powered model with toe clips where my legs got the benefit of moving even if I didn't feel like exerting myself.  In fact, I suspect both of my parents would have lived longer had something like that been available, along with a video screen so they could recline back and pedal effortlessly while watching Wheel of Fortune.  They were too tired to exercise, so they didn't.  So they got more tired.  Until they got so out of shape their hearts quit on them.

Let's see some exercise equipment for old farts.  Lots of money under those mattresses...  And the field is pretty crowded with exercycles for the hip, slick and cool.

I dislike riding the recumbent bikes, but you make some valid points. I'm not trying to sell you a Concept2 BikeErg, but there is something extra special about this bike. You can fit your own pedals, seat, and handlebars to it so you can adjust it to suit you. In your case, you could put some handles on it that allow you to sit bolt upright.

Talking about exercise equipment for old fats: Here's just the thing you were looking for:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg

I just ordered one. Why did I get this? Because I hurt my back and it hurts when I row, so I can't get the cardio workout I desire on the rowing machine right now. Arthritis makes running impossible. My knees used to hurt riding bikes too, and even walking. My knees also didn't feel good on an elliptical trainer... so what to do?

Get a SkiErg!!!

Limited knee and lower back involvement. The pulling action is much kinder on shoulders too - no compression. There's a lot of different exercises you can do on this machine. It's the perfect answer for old farts LOL. It's also a very good workout for youngins too. I'll tell you more when I start using it next week.

17 hours ago, tropo said:

I dislike riding the recumbent bikes, but you make some valid points. I'm not trying to sell you a Concept2 BikeErg, but there is something extra special about this bike. You can fit your own pedals, seat, and handlebars to it so you can adjust it to suit you. In your case, you could put some handles on it that allow you to sit bolt upright.

Talking about exercise equipment for old fats: Here's just the thing you were looking for:

http://www.concept2.com/skierg

I just ordered one. Why did I get this? Because I hurt my back and it hurts when I row, so I can't get the cardio workout I desire on the rowing machine right now. Arthritis makes running impossible. My knees used to hurt riding bikes too, and even walking. My knees also didn't feel good on an elliptical trainer... so what to do?

Get a SkiErg!!!

Limited knee and lower back involvement. The pulling action is much kinder on shoulders too - no compression. There's a lot of different exercises you can do on this machine. It's the perfect answer for old farts LOL. It's also a very good workout for youngins too. I'll tell you more when I start using it next week.

I also don't like recumbent bike. I used to try it once in fitness center and feel like I didn't do any workout.

I have the same trouble, back pain when rowing, especially when back to rowing again from long resting period.

Longest distance I used to row is 12,000 meter or about 50 minutes.I can't row more than that compare to running I can run 2 hours with no problem.

I think BikeErg is suitable for training in endurance sports such as distance running, cycling or triathletes.

2 hours ago, TaveewatLim said:

I also don't like recumbent bike. I used to try it once in fitness center and feel like I didn't do any workout.

I have the same trouble, back pain when rowing, especially when back to rowing again from long resting period.

Longest distance I used to row is 12,000 meter or about 50 minutes.I can't row more than that compare to running I can run 2 hours with no problem.

I think BikeErg is suitable for training in endurance sports such as distance running, cycling or triathletes.

That's what happened with me. I took about 6 weeks off rowing and came back too hard. I got the pain when I squatted with a very light weight, but I feel the rowing and some (heavy) cable rowing is what caused it. It's getting better as I nurse it along.

Archived