F.o.a. a good 255o to all of you,

does someone know where to buy an electrical fence

and

is there any experience with this device protecting

against buffalos, cows, pigs, dogs

and

will it be ok to the neighbours/owners of the animals ? :o

Thank you, bgs :D

The western style electrical fence that uses low current high voltage pulses (15-25kV) are probably not available here, at least they weren't a few years ago so I had to import one myself. Thai style electrical fences are usually just not limited by current so they are lethal to people and animals. Thai style electrical fence = fence connected directly to the wall outlet.

Because of this Thais also have no understanding of the harmless electrical fences, so you are going to have a hard time explaining to your neighbours that it is not dangerous. Expect them to sabotage it whenever they get a chance.

If their animals mess up your garden, let them know that you have no problem with the buffalo eating your grass but you will charge B5000 per square meter :D

Tim says they can be purchased from any decent agriculture supply store and cost from around B500 upwards with about 200 yards of multi strand cable. High current problems can be an issue with those that are connected to AC power and left exposed in the rain. Wrap it up in a plastic waste bag.

Water gets into the casing shorts the electronics inside. Get a dual AC car battery powered unit and run it off an old car battery.

For Tim

D.V.

Tim says they can be purchased from any decent agriculture supply store and cost from around B500 upwards with about 200 yards of multi strand cable. High current problems can be an issue with those that are connected to AC power and left exposed in the rain. Wrap it up in a plastic waste bag.

Water gets into the casing shorts the electronics inside. Get a dual AC car battery powered unit and run it off an old car battery.

For Tim

D.V.

I concur with Tim. I have purchased several of these units locally and have used them for pasture-raised beef cattle (had 160 head before selling them all off). They can be purchased as AC or AC/DC. Mines were all the latter type and were simply connected to a 12V car battery. From memory, they operate at 10kV. They have a variable strength control on them. They operate on very short bursts of high-voltage low-amperage approx. every 30 seconds.

I have often came into contact with the live fences and can assure you it is perfectly safe in normal operation, and perfectly jolting to make you not want to ever touch it again! Animals are more susceptible to electricity than us so they learn even quicker than us not to go near. Standard advice: set the control to maximum strength on the first couple of days then reduce thereafter. The livestock will test it out, then remember to avoid it in the future!

Make sure grass, etc is kept short around the fence: you don't want the charge to ground via touching-weeds as this can reduces the strength to almost nil.

Fighting bullocks can break normal single-strand wire fence lines causing all the livestock to breach the fence. I also actually lost a nice mature cow when she fell on to an unbreakable fence line and could not get off it because of the constant 30-second shocks.