Replacement Birth Certificate

My Thai wife, born where she now lives, went to the local Amphur to get a replacement birth certificate, needed to apply for immigration.  The Amphur does not have an original document they could copy.  They created a new document based on digital information they have stored in their computer system.

Translated, it's title is "Letter of Birth Certificate".  However, is different from what I expected.  It does not have my wife's name at birth.  Instead, it includes a current photo and her current name (my last name), her mom's and dad's names, and the date and place of birth.  Essentially, it certifies the birth of this person named and pictured in the document.

Question: Is what I received similar to what others have gotten as a replacement birth certificate?  If not, please describe what you have received, and how you got it.  

Thanks

Edited by rambose
clarify

10 minutes ago, nataliecooke said:

My hubby needed a replacement birth certificate as well for his visa requirements here in Australia. We went to his home town in Seka to have this done. We had to go to his school, get a copy of his school report, a copy of his parents property title and bring along two independent witnesses...so very different from how things are done in Australia. His B/C stated the same as you mentioned as well as a current photo of himself. 

Thanks for the reply!   Sounds the same as my wife's experience.  She took along witnesses and the "tabien baan.", but not school records.  What you got sounds the same as what my wife got; it includes a current photo of herself.  Thanks again!.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We had to do this too when we were applying for her US residency.

Even though she had a Thai passport, in the same province she was born, we still needed to take witnesses, blue book, Thai ID to get a replacement birth certificate for the US  immigration process

Prepare yourself for half a day sat in the local Amphur