Help!

Pattaya! A lot of retired people live there and with 1300 a month...dollars? or pounds? you would be able to get by modestly if dollars and nicely if pounds. On the other hand several retirees live in my condo in BKK paying about 20,000Baht a month for a 1 or 2 bedroom and head to the beach every other weekend or so. You could PM me for more info if you like as I would be happy to help.

I will be arriving in bangkok at the end of jan.,I was thinking of moving there permanetly,I have a pension of about 1300.mo what is a nice affordable place thats close to ocean that I could live comfortably with some people that speak english.please help I would appreiciate any advise

IMHO there is only one choice - Hua Hin

Hua Hin is Thailand's oldest beach resort for the elite of Bangkok society and is noted for its long and white sandy beach, superb seafood restaurants and a wide range of accommodation. Hat Cha-am, located 20 kms. north of Hua Hin, was originally a small fishing village. After a royal palace was built near Hua Hin in the reign of King Rama VI, the land was occupied by the royal family and the elite. Today, it is very popular among Thais and retirees from Europe who love superb seafood and comfortable hotel or bungalow accommodation.

http://www.huahinafterdark.com

http://www.hua-hin-thailand.com/

Cheers, Bapak

I apprieciate any and all who are helping me with my conquest I also would apprieciate a cheap place to stay motel/hostel close to the beach with plenty of action around costing around $10-20 US....

Cheap and close to a beach would probably be Pattaya. You can try for the Honey Inn on Soi Honey Inn, the prices per night will be around 500 baht (at least for the bottom floor.) On this same Soi Honey Inn (a soi is like a lane or road) you will find the Sawasdee Mansion and the Bay Breeze Hotel. All three hotels have air, hot water, security box, restaurants, cable TV and daily maid service.

I would book one or two nights or a week with the Honey Inn or Bay Breeze and look around or ask some regulars what they recommend. There are retirees that have lived in the Honey Inn for years.

http://www.hotelthailand.com/pattaya/honeyinn/index.html

Keep in mind that if you don't ask for any discount you certainly won't get one. Many hotels will give you a weekly rate if you ask.

There are lots of cheap hotels in Pattaya and many other small towns in Thailand. Pattaya has decent supermarkets, cheap transportation, cheap restaurants and new malls. Beach sucks, good for walking and sunbathing, hotel pools are better. Jomtien Beach is not far from Pattaya Beach.

Bacus

I will be arriving in bangkok at the end of jan.,I was thinking of moving there permanetly,I have a pension of about 1300.mo what is a nice affordable place thats close to ocean that I could live comfortably with some people that speak english.please help I would appreiciate any advise

Your monthly rate of 1300 may not be enough qualify for a retirement visa without some hefty bank deposits. Having enough money to pay for the hotel and your food, etc. is one thing, having the Thai immigration officials allow you to stay a long, long time is something else!

Check out the immigration requirements on this board for more info on retiring in Thailand.

Bacus

I apprieciate any and all who are helping me with my conquest I also would apprieciate a cheap place to stay motel/hostel close to the beach with plenty of action around costing around $10-20 US....

With this above info I reckon nothing will beat Pattaya. It's on the beach, plenty of action and lots of people speak English. With 1,000's of bars, clubs, Go Go's, live music venues, restaurants and many other things to see and do Pattaya is your cheapest and best option.

$1300 USD a Month is about 48,000 baht. I can live very easily on that in Pattaya, long term condo rentals can be found near the beach for 8,000 baht a Month. Bacus is right on the money with the hotels, plenty around for about $20 USD a night in the areas he mentioned. Another hotel in Soi Honey is the Intown Hotel, about 600 baht a night and has a pool too. Another Sawadee hotel in soi 10 in the old wing you can get small aircon rooms for 500 baht a night. Good luck.

I voted with my feet for Hua Hin, but her lovely sister Pattaya is just 60 nautical miles across the bay! Anywhere in Thailand is a wonderful place to live if you keep your head about you, if you don't then nowhere will be bearable!

Really depends what you're into: Pattaya is very sleazy with a grubby beach and dodgy locals, although a good laugh for a couple of nights, while Hua Hin is much more laid back, has a much nicer beach and the locals are less in yer face. There are also cheapish hotels to stay in in HH although prices seem to have jumped the past couple of years as with elsewhere. Walking around at night on your tod is also not a problem.

how much does it cost by cab to get to pattata from airport?does anybody have a rough idea? also when I arrive, I will be staying in bangkok for a few nights just to check things out any suggestions on where to stay while im there? thanks everybody for all the help you have all been so wonderful...............

Edited by freespirit17271

A metered taxi should cost you about 1200 baht to get to Pattaya. I am not an expert on Bangkok but if I had to stay there I would probably go to Khao San Road (generally know as the backpackers area) and get a place for between 500 and 1000 baht a night. You are within 30 minutes walk to the Grand Palace, Wat Po and a few minutes to the river from there, quite handy actually.

Taxi should only be something like 800 for the distance covered as the new airport is a lot closer. Don't quote me on that though but it wasn't long ago that it was only 1200 from Don Muang.

The Reno near Siam Square ain't too bad for a budget- mid-range place (breakfast included) and you're not too far from Siam (Skytrain) then either. Khao San great though if you're into the backpacker scene. :o

hi freespirit,to move to a new location should be treated with caution wherever,asia, europe,etc...being in thailand is a fantastic experience but as your a newcomer you will be reconised as that by the unscrupiolous (sorry spelling)even just by your apearance manner etc.so proceed with caution and only commit yourself to anything once you have considered all angles.i personally would not recommend starting off at kaoson rd as it is nothing to see there except for beguiled backpackers,and con artists.remember you will be knackered after your marathon flight and in need f a good shower!i have been flying to and from bangkokfor the past 24 years average 3 times a year,although i did live in issaan for about 4 years non stop.recently i have started spending less and less time there as my thai wife and i are running a thai catering business in u.k.but i am going there in march for a month.but this is the first time to the new airport so although im playing by ear im traveling to ibis huamark hotel which costs i believe is approx 1000 baht a nightbooking for 2/3 days only then making my plans once jet lag starts to subside.it looks like this hotel is quite near airport so u shouldnt be riped off too much.but as for your question y not try sattahip which is not far from the bustle of pattaya but proberbly an upcoming market cheaper and more relaxed and not overburdened with tourists..