Visa exemptions - There and Back Again

I've had a sudden change of plans and performing a three day road trip visa run has become inconvenient for now.

I am now thinking about forgoing a new SETV for the moment and instead flying to maybe Penang and back again on the same day, flights permitting.

Being eligible for a visa exemption into Penang, Malaysia and also Thailand I am considering a cheap same day return flight.

I entered Thailand on a Visa exemption basis for the first time back in December 2016 and then departed in early January. 

I then returned in late May on a 60 day SETV that I extended up until the 25th of this month,

Aside from an immigration officer having a bad day does anyone foresee any problems with me bouncing in and out on the same day before the my visa expires on the 25th?

I also now intend to apply for a Non-Immigration - Spouse/Child visa after the visa exemption run. 

Edited by fondue zoo
spelling errror

Good luck at the airport.   You were gone awhile this year, which helps - but be aware your time here in 2016 and before may also be scrutinized for "longer stay" patterns (people gone for months, but who stayed longer in the past, have been pulled aside for questioning and/or rejected-entry).

You are required to have an outgoing flight within 30-days to show with a Visa-Exempt (not always asked)
"Border bounces" are specifically listed in Visa-Exempt rules as reason for rejection of entry (though many still get away with it).

Be sure to have 20K baht (rule is 10K for visa-exempt, but I'd bring 20K). 
If you have evidence for the Non-O Spouse/Child visa/extension, bring it to show, as that might help if questioned.

Too bad you cannot get the initial 90-day Non-O on this trip at a consulate, as this would save trouble at immigration doing a conversion from a TR to Non-O, later - and make re-entry to Thailand easy.

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Aside from an immigration officer having a bad day does anyone foresee any problems with me bouncing in and out on the same day before the my visa expires on the 25th?

You shouldn't have any problems based on your previous entry history.

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

I also now intend to apply for a Non-Immigration - Spouse/Child visa after the visa exemption run. 

You could get a 60 day extension as the spouse/parent of a Thai if you want to delay the next run.

Getting a single entry non-immigrant visa from Thai embassies/consulates in neighbouring countries is very straightforward. It might be worth a spending a night out of the country and getting the non-'O' on this trip. You'll get permission to stay for 90 days that can be extended for 60 days too if required. At the end of the 90 or 150 days you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Applying for a 1 year extension of stay from a visa exempt entry is a bit of a pain.

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Getting a single entry non-immigrant visa from Thai embassies/consulates in neighbouring countries is very straightforward. It might be worth a spending a night out of the country and getting the non-'O' on this trip. You'll get permission to stay for 90 days that can be extended for 60 days too if required. At the end of the 90 or 150 days you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Applying for a 1 year extension of stay from a visa exempt entry is a bit of a pain.

At the moment we are preparing the needed paperwork for a single entry non-immigrant visa. As my extension expires on the 25th we thought it best to either procure a new 60 day setv or do a visa exemption border bounce.

With the same day visa exemption run appearing to be a little hit and miss another alternative I've considered today was a new setv run to Penang. The return flights are relatively cheap, accommodation is cheap, I don't require a visa to enter Malaysia and it's a next day process.  Some Googling shows that aside from the usual photos, passport and application forms I would only need to provide proof of on onward travel and a hotel booking.

As I would be returning via DMK having 20000 THB might be wise too.   Does that have to be cash or can I show a Thai bank passbook?

11 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

At the moment we are preparing the needed paperwork for a single entry non-immigrant visa.

You only need your marriage certificate and signed copies your wife's ID and housebook, or a birth certificate and (maybe) your child's housebook.

13 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

As my extension expires on the 25th we thought it best to either procure a new 60 day setv or do a visa exemption border bounce.

You could get a 60 day extension from the 26th to visit your wife/child. As long as you haven't had that extension already since your last new entry.

14 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Does that have to be cash or can I show a Thai bank passbook?

Cash (THB or the equivalent in other major currencies is accepted) or travellers cheques. They don't, as a rule, accept passbooks.

53 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You only need your marriage certificate and signed copies your wife's ID and housebook, or a birth certificate and (maybe) your child's housebook.

You could get a 60 day extension from the 26th to visit your wife/child. As long as you haven't had that extension already since your last new entry.

A few things happened out of the usual order with the above if you know what I mean, so for the moment I have to do the the border boogie or the tv tango

8 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

My first ever visit to Thailand was the December 2016 visit for 10 days using the exemption rule, nothing prior to that.

My second visit is this one now using a 60 day SETV and an extension.

That reduces the chance of problems considerably.  Still, be prepared with the basics on the off-chance of a less-friendly I/O. 

4 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

another alternative I've considered today was a new setv run to Penang. The return flights are relatively cheap, accommodation is cheap, I don't require a visa to enter Malaysia and it's a next day process.

This is what I would do.  Gives your more time to work out the next step and far less chance of trouble entering.

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Just so I'm clear, if my visa is stamped with 25 August my extension is valid up until midnight of the 25th?     Or do I have to get out of Dodge on the 24th?

If you have an entry stamp (or extension of stay permit) in your passport with the 'admitted until' date of the 25th you must leave before midnight on the 25th.

Just a quick update for what it's worth.

After all the hoohah in the end I got my ass to da choppa and flew to Penang and back again, same day   .. sorry, Predator is playing in the background here.

Returned via DMK in the early evening with a small group of passengers, the lady took a quick look at my passport and stamped for a 30 day exemption. I so wanted to show her all my bahts and print-outs but she just waved me through without a word.

Thanks again for all the advice, my next adventure a non-immigration O visa from Penang, mostly because the food was really good.

(Also, my thanks to the small print shop that infected my usb stick with something unholy. I will need a team of monks for an exorcism.)