Neighbors dog is coming inside our yard attacking our dog

ghworker2010

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

You asked about your rights and that is what I shall attempt to answer here. It depends on where you live. Dogs control is under the Tessabaan (City) not the police. In both Pattaya and Bangkok it is illegal to have your dog on the street unleashed. Any damage / mess it produces must be cleaned up by the owner. Of course that sound silly when there are thousands of stray/soi dogs running around but TIT. If your neighbor lets her dogs out for toileting / self exercise she is breaking the law. In Pattaya I have successfully  had the city authorities call and warn errant owners. In all cases the dogs and sometimes the owners have disappeared shortly after.

It may well depend on where people live (sometimes 'tourist' areas have different laws - but for non-tourist areas the laws are as follows).  Dog control comes under two different headings - if the dog has an owner or if it does not. If the dog has NO owner then, yes, it is a Tessaban matter. If the dog has an owner it is a police matter. In this case the dog has an owner so it is a police matter. 

That is why in the news when you hear about attacks it is the police or the Amphoe that deal with it, never the Tessaban - unless a stray/feral dog. Amphoe can deal with situations like this as they are in charge of heads of villages, so therefore are able to offer some services to the community. 

Although many Thai are unaware of these laws so sometimes by inference think they will get in trouble. For example. I was bitten by a neighbours dog (has bitten many people). The neighbour re-homed the dog as my father-in-law is the Mayor of Tessaban so he thought he would get in trouble. Legally, the only way he could get in trouble is if I informed the police. 

Re the leash/mess needing to be cleaned up. Again, a police matter in most places. Police advertise the penalties regarding doggie accidents in public and how much the fines are - not Tessaban. Tessaban have no real powers to fine people in non-tourist places. Even if something does fall within Tessaban jurisdiction, they contact the police/courts to prepare the fine. 

Edited by wildewillie89

I like the large compound I am in now, almost 300 people living in the area - No Dog's or Cats allowed - 2,000 baht fine, signs posted in Thai, English and Chinese, solves all the problems.  Soi dogs??  have seen a few, but not for long, don;t know what happens to them, nor do I care.

10 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I like the large compound I am in now, almost 300 people living in the area - No Dog's or Cats allowed - 2,000 baht fine, signs posted in Thai, English and Chinese, solves all the problems.  Soi dogs??  have seen a few, but not for long, don;t know what happens to them, nor do I care.

In my apartment building there are signs in Thai in every hallway stating there will be a 500 baht fine if you leave your shoes outside....ha ha ha. One look down the hallway tells you what Thais think of signs. 

1 hour ago, tonray said:

In my apartment building there are signs in Thai in every hallway stating there will be a 500 baht fine if you leave your shoes outside....ha ha ha. One look down the hallway tells you what Thais think of signs. 

Crazy as its a thai custom not to enter houses ect with shoes on. 

The Chinese will certainly keep the cat and dog population in the local area down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/22/2017 at 8:09 PM, tonray said:

Ammonia will blind them permanently ...not a good solution for Thailand. You can make your own pepper spray....chilies, ground dried powder, oil, water,blender.

Vinegar diluted with water...