Getting From Bangkok To Roi Et

matthew28

Good morning/afternoon all,

I was hoping that someone can please assist me and my partner in helping us get from Bangkok to Roi Et. We are visiting our World Vision Sponsor Child and we are trying to get there without flying due to flight numbers. I have been looking and it looks like we can get the train from Bangkok to Khon Kaen but that as far as it goes. I'm guessing there may be a bus service to Roi Et but am not to sure. Also if anyone knows where the station that you depart from is is context to the international airport that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

regards,

Matthew

Good morning/afternoon all,

I was hoping that someone can please assist me and my partner in helping us get from Bangkok to Roi Et. We are visiting our World Vision Sponsor Child and we are trying to get there without flying due to flight numbers. I have been looking and it looks like we can get the train from Bangkok to Khon Kaen but that as far as it goes. I'm guessing there may be a bus service to Roi Et but am not to sure. Also if anyone knows where the station that you depart from is is context to the international airport that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

regards,

Matthew

There are buses (AC) from Mor Chit, North-Eastern Bus Terminal, which is south of the old airport (Don Muang).

Cost about 300 Baht per person, lunch included. The trip will take 7- 8 hours. There use to go buses in the morning and in the evening.

Welcome to Thai Visa

If you are up to it after your flight there are intercity buses from the airport.

Bus number 825 goes to Kohn Kaen where it is easy to get to Roi Et. To get all the info on times etc at the airport take the free shuttle bus to the public transportation centre & go to the Inter City Bus counter.

the choice is yours:

1. via said bus to Kh Khaen, there is just 1 bus a day FROM airport at 21.00, and will arr at say 3.00/4.00 in KhKhaen, where youll have to wait for a LOCAL overcrowded bus to RoiEt (which means 101 in thai)

2.via the MOCJUT=northern busterminal. NO direct bus from airport, take taxi (about 300 bt)

socalled TOUR buses run about hourly in the morning and TE again many for overnite to ANY even tiny Thai provicnial town. AVOID train, its hours late and only adds to confusion, as clarly youve never ever been there. again DIRECT buses link BKk with ANY provincial town. NOTE that your child may be in roiEt PROVINCE in anohter smaller village= that may be well 50/60 kms away from the town, a confusion thats VERY common! check adress!

Hi,

Yes we would ideally like to get on the bus after we have been cleared from our flight. I would imagine that would be around 0700, 0730.

All we have to do is get to Roi Et and we will be picked up from our Hotel by a World Vision consultant. So by the sounds of the below do you recommend us going to the public transportation centre in the airport and booking our ticket to Roi Et form there? Does the 825 run frequently or is there only a couple of these a day? We are a little worried about not getting to Roi Et in time for our visit.

regards,

Matthew

Welcome to Thai Visa

If you are up to it after your flight there are intercity buses from the airport.

Bus number 825 goes to Kohn Kaen where it is easy to get to Roi Et. To get all the info on times etc at the airport take the free shuttle bus to the public transportation centre & go to the Inter City Bus counter.

I don't know for sure how many or how often the bus runs to Roi Et from the airport.

I would go to the transportation centre to check - easy to do.

If no bus get a cab straight to Mor Chit Bus Terminal. At that time of the day heavy traffic so at least an hour . Take aircon bus from Mor Chit direct to Roi Et.

I don't know for sure how many or how often the bus runs to Khon Kaen from the airport.

If no bus get a cab straight to Mor Chit Bus Terminal. At that time of the day heavy traffic so at least an hour . Take aircon bus from Mor Chit direct to Roi Et.

I don't know for sure how many or how often the bus runs to Khon Kaen from the airport.

Im not quite sure what you mean about not using flight numbers? It is only Air Asia 900 baht single to Ubon or Kon Ken and travel on from there much easier and quicker than Taxi / Bus etc especially after an International flight in. Internal flights in Thailand are cheap!

We have since booked 2 1 way flights to Ubon for 1355 the day we fly in. Now we jsut have to get from there to Roi Et. I think its about 150kms. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this? Is there local buses from the airport to Roi Et? Could we get a cab?

Im not quite sure what you mean about not using flight numbers? It is only Air Asia 900 baht single to Ubon or Kon Ken and travel on from there much easier and quicker than Taxi / Bus etc especially after an International flight in. Internal flights in Thailand are cheap!

Hi,

Yes we would ideally like to get on the bus after we have been cleared from our flight. I would imagine that would be around 0700, 0730.

All we have to do is get to Roi Et and we will be picked up from our Hotel by a World Vision consultant. So by the sounds of the below do you recommend us going to the public transportation centre in the airport and booking our ticket to Roi Et form there? Does the 825 run frequently or is there only a couple of these a day? We are a little worried about not getting to Roi Et in time for our visit.

Welcome to Thai Visa

As I saide before, there is only the 825 at 21.00 FROM airport, not to RoiEt.

YoucanNOT book at Airportbus term. for any trips not originating there, nor is there any need for that.

the best way is, I repeat: taxi to Mochit, TALK WITH driver, 95% chance he also comes from 101=roiet, and let im guide you, easy as pie. choice of 2nd and 1st class bus and socalled VIP; the higher the lowprice, the better the onboard service. again: about every hour till about 12.00 (to avoid some midnite arrival) then again for overnight late evening

We have since booked 2 1 way flights to Ubon for 1355 the day we fly in. Now we jsut have to get from there to Roi Et. I think its about 150kms. Does anyone know the easiest way to do this? Is there local buses from the airport to Roi Et? Could we get a cab?

[

Frankly, youre really messing aeround without proper idea.

This is NOT at all the quickest way.

1.there are of course NO buses at all at Ubon airport, which is, as I recall (but thats really long ago) a quite far way from the city/town itself.

2.in thai provincial towns there are NO taximeters as you would know in BKK or back home. Its either on hire/car+driver, preordered, or some other, shared, contraption.

3.most likely you will find a minibus (you may have to ask around) to town, that sets you down at ANY wanted point: thus, again talk with driver/ the BUSSTOP for the AirCON bus to Roi ET is what you need, as there is NO uniform busstation (yet?) in Ubon/town. the driver will oblige. AC buses are NOT very freqeunt (the normal, crushed, nonAC are) and and stop running mid-day (as they hate to drive in the dark and aim thus to arrive at their final point at 18.00)

In sort: the same procedure as you would follow in BKK, but you should know that anyone calls it AirDELAYsia for some reason, which is esp. a thing to remember when going back and not having much time for a transit in BKK.

Why didnt you fly direct with PB Air.

They fly from BKK to Roi Et and it is a very nice trip of about 55 mins.

I used the bus to get from Roi Et to Bkk during the day last time at the end of February.

It took over 8 hours, the air con just couldnt keep up with the heat and it arrived in Bangkok at rush hour so it was another hour to get to the hotel.

It was the PITS and I will either fly or break the trip up by staying at at least one place on the trip, next time.

Do you have a Lonely Planet Guide for Thailand? They are a lot of help.

Also you can get hold of Tourism Athourity of Thailand on the internet, just google " tat thailand " they have been a great help to us in the past and are happy to help.

Even the Thai embassy in your country are a wealth of info and will send you a huge amount stuff.

P.S.

If you get the chance stop over in Roi Et for a while.

It is a great place. Friendly, clean, laid back and you can even get farang food there.

Will be up there again in a couple of weeks or so and I cant wait.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

All the best.

Hi,

The reason why we didn't book PB Air is becasue they only have 1 flight a day to Roi Et and that leaves at 6am on the Thursday. We land from overseas at 0550 so we wouldn't make it. Otherwise your right we would have done so. I have done some research on the net and we looked through the lonely planet book and there seems to be a few buses that travel from Ubon to Roi Et. I think by the sounds ot it we will do a little investigating in BKK while we wait between flights and then get ourselves from Ubon airport to the bus terminal.

Does anyone know the distance from the airport to the terminal?

We will have 2 nights and 1 day in Roi Et Vegemite so what do you recommend during that time there?

regards,

Matt

P.S.

If you get the chance stop over in Roi Et for a while.

It is a great place. Friendly, clean, laid back and you can even get farang food there.

Will be up there again in a couple of weeks or so and I cant wait.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

All the best.

Hi

I think if you have only one day just get a tuk tuk and have a look around.

The temple is around 200 years old, so the other half says, and is definately worth a look. You can buy some quite interesting suv, soov, soeviniers ( never could spell that word ) from the monks and it is a nice place to be.

The lake is great and full of fish. If you want you can buy some fish food and feed them. The lake is such a nice area and well kept.

There are dozens more people more in the know than me about this area but I just hope that you like it as much as I did.

All the best.