Grating

luudee

Hi Guys,

I had my pool now for 15 years, and it seems I have to replace my grating every 3 years.

I always make sure that it is UV resistant, and for the last 10 years my pool has been a

"Salt Pool", the amount of chlorine is relatively low. Yet it loses its color (I tried various

colors, no matter if it is white, brown or blue), and becomes brittle ...

My guess is that most retailers sell the same cheap crap from China, that I can buy

myself on aliexpress. And the UV rating is just somebodies wet dream ...

Can anybody recommend some better-made grating? Mine 25 cm wide.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

rudi

Hi Rudi I've seen some in Global House, but probably the same crap you got before. I noticed the pool stuff at global ( the bits I was interested in) were about B 2000 odd less than the pool shop's price. Maybe the same with the grating.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 8/26/2017 at 10:47 PM, sappersrest said:

Maybe get some purpose made HDPE grills , though might take a bit of effort to find some one to machine it up.

http://www.polyadvisory.com This is a company  I used in the UK, Their brochure may give you some ideas to show any Thai company that may be interested.

Thanks !  I'll probably go for the crap I always buy again. And complain about having to replace it in 3 years again, lol

Thai prices seem insane though ....  will probably mail order, even with duty and tax cheaper than what the local monkeys want ...

rudi

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Any mileage in getting you local Stainless Gate Man to knock something up?

swimming-pool-gutter-grating-stainless-s

Yeah, in theory, this sounds and looks great !   But as you know, in practice it will be a disaster !

1) I will most likely only get the cheap local stainless steel, even if I pay for the better quality stuff

2) To have the locals to make 60 meters of that stuff and be consistent (e.g. make it look good)

will be impossible !

I saw (online) some grating made from hardwood - I almost called my carpenter, but then thought

about the maintenance, my outside wood furniture requires and decided against it as well ...

The plastic crap, is I think the best (easiest) solution and will look good for a year or so ... lol

Thank you !

rudi

I have an overflow pool and the same issue. White grating becomes yellow grating in a short time -Also brittle from the UV.

Had a good look for a solution. Easiest ( I think) is to buy black grating next time.

Grate.jpg.49d0e08d27a34c7ff3150b64ffaca9db.jpg

Better but way more expensive is this stone grating. it comes in sections and just replaces what you have. But much harder wearing and obviously UV resistant. 

59afae1d9332d_StoneEdge.jpg.f6d71c4306450d8ef107a1c42c221ff0.jpg

Lastly. And probably what I will do when I locate a decent pool builder is remove the plastic grating and re-do the edge of my pool so there is only an infinity type edge with a slot for the water to overflow into. Think I should be able to accomplish this with a section of the rough finish granite that is available here. I plan to re-tile my patio area anyhow as the sandwash finish there now is 5 yrs old and looks poor.

59afaede63c17_PoolEdge.jpg.fb7b870a06842d7435d3368c7eb5a889.jpg

The hotel I'm staying at in pattaya has an overflow pool with stainless grating, not very fancy and covered in those medium sized white rocks.
Not my style, but looks good. See if I can remember to take a pic tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies guys !

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I have an overflow pool and the same issue. White grating becomes yellow grating in a short time -Also brittle from the UV.

Had a good look for a solution. Easiest ( I think) is to buy black grating next time.

Why black ? How is that any better ?

22 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Lastly. And probably what I will do when I locate a decent pool builder is remove the plastic grating and re-do the edge of my pool so there is only an infinity type edge with a slot for the water to overflow into. Think I should be able to accomplish this with a section of the rough finish granite that is available here. I plan to re-tile my patio area anyhow as the sandwash finish there now is 5 yrs old and looks poor.

59afaede63c17_PoolEdge.jpg.fb7b870a06842d7435d3368c7eb5a889.jpg

Watch out for calcium deposits if you use granite. May be that is not a problem for you, but my water

has a lot of minerals and that gets stuck on everything. When I retiled my pool, I used "glass tiles" and they

look like crap just after a year. My worker actually managed to scrape the deposits of without damaging

the tiles, but it's a hell of a job ...

Let me know if you ever find a "decent" pool builder, lol ....

6 hours ago, Valentine said:

I have used treated pine in the overflow, then put down some mesh & cover in stones. Wood lasts for years. The overflow was open directly into surge tank.

This is an interesting idea. I could have a stainless steel structure, instead of pine wood, and cover with stones above ...

I might try making a 1m section and see how it looks ...

Thanks,

rudi

1 minute ago, luudee said:

Thanks for all the replies guys !

Why black ? How is that any better ?

Watch out for calcium deposits if you use granite. May be that is not a problem for you, but my water

has a lot of minerals and that gets stuck on everything. When I retiled my pool, I used "glass tiles" and they

look like crap just after a year. My worker actually managed to scrape the deposits of without damaging

the tiles, but it's a hell of a job ...

Let me know if you ever find a "decent" pool builder, lol ....

This is an interesting idea. I could have a stainless steel structure, instead of pine wood, and cover with stones above ...

Thanks,

rudi

Black,  because it won't turn yellow. Although it may turn grey ? 

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Black,  because it won't turn yellow. Although it may turn grey ? 

He he he .. I once (long time ago) used "sky" blue ... they just got less blue and darker (dirty darker) from the sun ...

I always thought the cream color ones are the better choice, and I think from discoloration perspective, I do

like them the best (of all the bad choices). But mine are getting brittle now ... 

rudi

5 hours ago, luudee said:

Yea, why not have a local build a grating tray that could hold lava rock (as that wouldn't be affected by the sun).

But then pipe the grates with gas fittings so the lava rock could be a fire-pit for that impressive fire vs water effect.

And I wonder why people don't find my ideas helpful. 

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

Yea, why not have a local build a grating tray that could hold lava rock (as that wouldn't be affected by the sun).

But then pipe the grates with gas fittings so the lava rock could be a fire-pit for that impressive fire vs water effect.

And I wonder why people don't find my ideas helpful. 

This does sound intriguing!

I'll try to post some pictures of the rock trial ... one of my contractors was here and I run the idea by him, he said he

will bring a 1m piece of stainless grating for me to try & play with ...

rudi

Archived