Pizza

altman

i scrolled through the best places to eat in CM faq, but soon got bored trying to find what i wanted. so i'll ask it out right.

(but in order to provide some balance, i'll also say that the best tex-mex food i've had in

SEA was at miguels, before the turnover. don't know now, but will try again)

where is the best pizza in cm?

i have tried several and found them all lacking in basic standards. perhaps it is because they are in cm and not ny or chicago. but one expects a cook to be able to cook regardless of where they are, so i ask again ... where is the best pizza in cm?

best means... fresh, crisp crust. (this can only be made in a very hot oven with the use of a pizza stone. no others need apply.)

significant garlic, basil, oregano in a tomato sauce. or better, a garlic/herb/oil base. (hard to find this anywhere)

toppings that don't require a microscope to find. ('nuff said)

cheese. and more cheese.

thick or thin. i am an equal opportunity eater.

do not bother with pizza house, shop, hut, or world. i am looking for real pizza made by a pizza maker, not pre-processed dough with red sauce and stuff on top pizza.

so have it... where is the best pizza in cm?

and why...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai, and Thailand in general, is not the place to get good pizza. It seems all the pizza places really skimp on the tomato sauce. This makes no sense to me since tomatoes are so plentiful.

The best I have found so far that suits my taste is La Casa on Canal Rd. La Casa do have and use the required brick / stone oven for their baking. Their pizza is passable but their "classico" calzone is much better. It comes with a generous side serving of tomato sauce that is quite good. I just slather on the sauce and pretend it is pizza.

Where do YOU get your "pizza fix?"

We have a place here in Chiang Rai called Three Houses. They make the best pizza in Chiang Rai and so far in Thailand in my opinion.

The girl that owns this place has a brother in Chiang Mai that has been 10-12 years in Sweden and had a restaurant there.

So he started a restaurant in Chiang Mai when he came back and now his sisters started this one in CR.

The pizza's are Swedish style and that means a lot of toppings and then lots of cheese.

If you had a something like "Josephines" and "Mr Chin's" then you probably been to this place.

If you know the name of the restaurant in CM, plese tell me so I can go there and have a good pizza and a chat with the guy next time I visit CM.

Cheeese!

:o:D :D

I would guess that none of you has tried the Duke's Pizza. IMHO, by far, the best American style pizza in the Kingdom. A "medium" sized pizza is HUGE. Small is just about right for me and I'm pretty huge myself.

I think that Stephanos has the best Italian style in town, but I'm not sure what kind of oven they use. :o

OK, I am not a great pizza lover, but my son is, and he would be the best person to ask. Trouble is, he is only 7 years old, and he doesn't log into Thaivisa..!

When he needs a pizza, and I mean NEEDS, we usually go to the old Babylon restaurant, up by the entrance to the University. The old man dies, sadly, but the food is still excellent.

Their's are pretty good, even though many of the staff have left to go to their new establishment, which we haven't tried just yet..?

We also eat at Stephano's, regularly, but I have some reservations about the place..? Nice location, food good, but the service, a bit on the 'average' side...?

But the number #1 place for pizza in Chiang Mai, or for that matter just about any other style of food you care to mention, is right there at my home..!

My wife is a great cook, and can cook just about anything, without a recipe..! I don't know how she does it, but the proof is in my ever-expanding waistline..!

Sadly, I can't invite everyone around to prove it..! Oh and the other place we go, but not so often recently, as it's difficult to get a table, is Giorgio's, over near the night bazaar.

Bon appetito, wherever you go tonight..!

We have a place here in Chiang Rai called Three Houses. They make the best pizza in Chiang Rai and so far in Thailand in my opinion.

The girl that owns this place has a brother in Chiang Mai that has been 10-12 years in Sweden and had a restaurant there.

So he started a restaurant in Chiang Mai when he came back and now his sisters started this one in CR.

The pizza's are Swedish style and that means a lot of toppings and then lots of cheese.

If you had a something like "Josephines" and "Mr Chan's" then you probably been to this place.

If you know the name of the restaurant in CM, plese tell me so I can go there and have a good pizza and a chat with the guy next time I visit CM.

Cheeese!

:o:D :D

The search continues. I've tried "Miss Paulines and Mr. Chan's" pizza a couple of times, as it's only a few hundred meters from my house. Not too good. The calzones at Babylon aren't too bad, but not a decent pizza to be found anywhere.

I think Pum Pui resto got pretty close while still owned by Sergio.. Right now... I don't know. Not the Dukes for sure, though it is huge and good value and I do go there and order them. Still it lacks something to be great. (but don't know what. :o )

Right now... I don't know. Not the Dukes for sure, though it is huge and good value and I do go there and order them. Still it lacks something to be great. (but don't know what. :o )

Actually, I agree with this. The Duke's has the most authentic American pizza in town, but it isn't great, and I don't know why either. However, I can't think of anywhere else (besides maybe Mad Dog Pizza) that is nearly as good.

I still think Pizza Hut has my favorite pizza. First, and most important to me, the quality is always good, every time. No other pizza place can match that, in my experience.

Edited by Ajarn

I still think Pizza Hut has my favorite pizza. First, and most important to me, the quality is always good, every time. No other pizza place can match that, in my experience.

I know that we are all supposed to despise Pizza Hut, but I think that they are pretty good.

My big problem with them for me is that New York style crust isn't available in Thailand and that is REAL American pizza.

The new crusts that they've come up with just don't ring my bell. :o

lannarebirth, do you have more specific directions to 'Miss Paulines...' by any chance?

Yes, it's about 200-300 meters south of the Night Safari entrance intersection on the klong road (west side of road), adjacent to afternoon market.

Cheers! Have to try myself and see if it is real Swedish style pizzas, or if they simply are not that good. :o

hmmm this sounds disappointing....was hoping for some tips of good places for when I visit next week. looking like I will have to stick to thai food while up in chiang mai then .....

quite a few good ones in bangkok...atleast I think so :o

hmmm this sounds disappointing....was hoping for some tips of good places for when I visit next week. looking like I will have to stick to thai food while up in chiang mai then .....

quite a few good ones in bangkok...atleast I think so :D

Most of us spend a lot of time in Bangkok, and I don't think that the pizza is much better there.

Does anyone think differently? :o

To me at least, the pizzas at Italian lang mor (in a soi off Suthep Rd.) are not so bad for what you get. I also like Pizza Company's Chicken Trio (regular pan crust, NOT cheese crust, and in particular no bleak, mushy sausage :D:o) , but you can get the exact same one at Pizza Company in Bangkok so it will probably not be any news to you.

Buonissimo, Pumpui's and Da Stefano's also make acceptable, if not fantastic pizza - Italian style, not US style.

I think it depends at what level we are talking. I still have not found pizza in Thailand which can match the best pizza I have had in Sweden - but that doesn't mean I dont enjoy having one here in Thailand once in a while anyway.

Meadish, what's on swedish pizzas?

Lots of things... they are basically a fusion of Italian, American and Middle Eastern food - but made in Sweden. You have the basic ones which you would be able to order pretty much all over - Vesuvio, Calzone, Margarita, Quattro Staggione... but then there are also fusion ones.

As one example, one of the most popular type pizzas in Sweden is a kebab pizza... with doner kebab meat, kebab sauce, pfefferonis (as in large, pickled moderately hot green peppers, not sausage) and cheese...

An Iraqi guy back in my home town had 'pizza of the week' for just 20 kronor (a huge pizza for about 3 USD which is very cheap by Swedish standards)... one week in December, his special of the week was 'Julafton' - (Christmas Eve). That pizza sported meatballs and lingonberry jam as topping - he didnt sell too many but gave us all a good laugh.

My own personal favourite is a flat Italian style pizza with tomato spread, pieces of fried chicken, sliced banana, Indian yellow curry powder, and bearnaise sauce. (Not related to Elvis :D)

You may call it blasphemy. I call it culture. :o

I know that we are all supposed to despise Pizza Hut, but I think that they are pretty good.

My big problem with them for me is that New York style crust isn't available in Thailand and that is REAL American pizza.

The new crusts that they've come up with just don't ring my bell. :o

Yeah, well, lucky me because I prefer the thick (plain) crusts :D

I cannot agree on Pizza Hut (as to producing pizza's that are all that wonderful) but as you rightly suggest they are "consistent" (same as Sizzler) :o

Edited by john b good

The Mayflower, next door to STH, on Loy Kroh. Run by a frog but don't hold that against him. Average - 90 small, 150 large. If you prefer sitting with the girlies elsewhere just send one of em down to pick you one up. :o

I cannot agree on Pizza Hut (as to producing pizza's that are all that wonderful) but as you rightly suggest they are "consistent" (same as Sizzler) :o

Pizza Hut and Sizzler are my favorite farang food. Both are prepared well, in places where they have good training, which is why the quality is excellent, in my opinion. :D