Samui’s garbage problem is getting out of control

webfact

Samui’s garbage problem is getting out of control

By Thai PBS

samui4.jpg

SAMUI: -- Garbage disposal problem in Samui Island is getting out of control as local authorities warn that within the next eight months, it’s 30-rai landfill now holding more than 200,000 tons of accumulated garbage will be full and is unable to handle any more daily garbage of 150-200 tons.

The warning came from Samui mayor Ramnate Jaikwang earlier this week as the garbage problem is getting worse.

Mayor Ramnate said at present the island’s 30-rai landfill already holds mountains of garbage of over 200,000 tons, while 150-200 tons keep coming in daily for disposal.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/samuis-garbage-problem-getting-control/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-01

The garbage problem in Koh Samui is directly related to the breakdown of the incinerator in 2012.

What exactly happened to the money for the incinerator for the last several years? This cries out for investigation.

There has been much discussion recently in Thailand over the issue of "criminal negligence" (which I dislike), If ever there was a legitimate case to be made for criminal negligence, it is here in Samui.

It is WAAAAYYYYY past time that this problem gets fixed.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

From the linked article:

He said that the main reason to remove the garbage out of Samui for disposal in mainland disposal plants because of growing protest by local residents.

Speaks volumes, eh?

Wait until Thai Rath gets a hold of it and suggests that it's the foreign local residents that stirring the sh!t.

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

In this case the corruption literally stinks and is rubbish.

But I am sure the almighty guys in green have a poem or fortuneteller to get this fixed.

Well, it is a third world country ,so the options, the good options ,are limited;

I would say the the current bunch is moderately inept and moderately corrupt

as opposed to an elected civilian group government which would be radically inept and very corrupt

Edited by YetAnother

......."The warning came from Samui mayor Ramnate Jaikwang earlier this week as the garbage problem is getting worse......"

So where were you Mr Mayor...when it was "getting bad". then got......"bad".....then went to "really bad"......did you not realise that garbage is produced everyday...so the situation was obviously going to go from "really bad" to "worse"

The question is will you do anything before it becomes "worser" ?

"The warning came from Samui mayor Ramnate Jaikwang earlier this week as the garbage problem is getting worse."

The problem is getting worse all over Thailand.  My local dump has taken to burning rubbish almost daily, sending a foul smelling aroma throughout the neighbourhood.  Imagine how much more rubbish would be generated if the Thais started using the rubbish bins outside the 7/11s, instead of throwing it on the ground.

10 minutes ago, DukSiam1 said:

Come on, guys.  "It's getting worse". Official says they have 8 months before a catastrophy. Why worry now. We have 8 months to think about it. Maybe have a meeting.

They need to form a committee first. 

3 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

......."The warning came from Samui mayor Ramnate Jaikwang earlier this week as the garbage problem is getting worse......"

So where were you Mr Mayor...when it was "getting bad". then got......"bad".....then went to "really bad"......did you not realise that garbage is produced everyday...so the situation was obviously going to go from "really bad" to "worse"

The question is will you do anything before it becomes "worser" ?

Pic from the Samui Times April 2015:-

samui-garbage-crisis-1.jpg

2 hours ago, eliotness said:

The critical thing with landfills is conpaction.  All the disposal sites I've seen in Thailand have no plan to maximise the compaction ratio and yet air space in a disposal site is the most valuable asset.

I don't think it's a "disposal" site - more of a "collection" site!

I can see no way this could mess up, Hmm shipping large amounts of trash across the beautiful waters around the island. Just ship the trash out of sight instead of fixing the problem for the future. I would love to show the mayor and the Junta how we can turn the trash into clean energy without burning it and improve the economy at the same time. I am willing to invest $200 Million US in Koh Samui and its people. 

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The garbage problem in Koh Samui is directly related to the breakdown of the incinerator in 2012.

What exactly happened to the money for the incinerator for the last several years? This cries out for investigation.

There has been much discussion recently in Thailand over the issue of "criminal negligence" (which I dislike), If ever there was a legitimate case to be made for criminal negligence, it is here in Samui.

It is WAAAAYYYYY past time that this problem gets fixed.

Under-sight and lack of respect for beauty. or perhaps their I don't care, I'm rich? What a shame! Yuck!  But his is almost all of Thailand at Present. Kill the street food vendors, but crap on the beauty outside = OK for now.

Would not Bangkok airways and Thai airways play a role in the destruction of this prior wonderland gone to literal waste? It is criminal to say the least. I was there almost 25 yrs ago and it was a WOW WOW!. Now you could only pay me to go there. No dime of mine is going to be spent on that Island of crap. Or most of them now.

2 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

In the modern/western world the garbage is no longer a problem, it's a resource and recyclable to 95%. 

But who am I to tell Thai people about this;)

Correct! You have to make them think that it was their idea!

A long time ago, was invited to tour the plant. Operation was almost perfect, the operators and staff knew their job.

The cost of operating and maintaining the plant was (i was told)  around 8 million a year, but no revenue was coming in and the plant was falling into disrepair, not enough garbage than.

The Weight scale was the only certified scale on Samui, and may still be. I had to get my truck weighed when the engine was replaced, only the scale at the Incinerator plant was acceptable.

Another problem was the design of the doors to the "pit" where the trucks dumped the garbage, the trucks were not, did not seal to the opening, so when the pit door were opened the odor quickly wafted out of the plant. Local residents were not happy, especially on a hot, rainy day.

I must say that the plant was a marvel of Japanese Engineering for it's time, staff were proud to work there. 

It was a long time ago so I don't have all the facts suffice to say "something happened".

Garbage disposal is a problem all over the world, no one wants to admit it or Pay For Disposal. Until the problem is fixed we are facing a big problem, mostly contamination of our ground water, runoff into the Sea, dangerous diseases, just to name a few. 

Sorry facts elude me as none were told to me at the time, just here say and rumors.

Obviously nothing can be done for the "Old Plant"

Eco friendly plants be dammed Burn The garbage and charge a price that will encourage less trash, ban plastic bags and bottles. or pay a premium to sort the plastic bottles for recycling.

Lets see what happens  and good luck to us all, because no one seems to give a dam!