Book Binding In Chiangmai?

Rasseru

I would very much like to find a place where I can have one (or possibly, a few) volumes of a book bound up in a nice hard cover of some kind. I would be grateful for any suggestions about places in Chiangmai that can do this, or might be able to do this.

In the hope that it might help motivate someone to think of a place, I offer here my reason. I have a friend who turns 89 in a couple of months (always assuming, of course). He wrote a 300 or so page treatise on Hamlet some years ago but never got it published. I have a printed out loose copy. Last night it occurred to me that it would be nice to have made for him as a birthday present a nicely bound book of his work. So, if you can think of a place, you may help make a lovely old man -- and I don't mean me, although I will be happy too! -- very, very happy. :o

Thanks for any suggestions.

There is a printing/copy shop on the corner at the 3 Kings monument that do simpler things like ring binding. I don't think they do hard copy binding but they might be able to advise you.

Failing that our esteemed sponsor in yellow at the top , should know about this subject. :o

There is a very good place in Rachaphakinai Road that prints, copies and binds in soft or hardback. The quality is extremely good.

To get to them, go up Rachawithi road from Moon Muang and turn left, (South,) into Rachaphakinai at the first lights. The shop is about 50 Metres up on the right, set back a bit from the road behind a wide pavement.

I have had many books copied and printed & bound by them.

There is a printing/copy shop on the corner at the 3 Kings monument that do simpler things like ring binding. I don't think they do hard copy binding but they might be able to advise you.

Failing that our esteemed sponsor in yellow at the top , should know about this subject. :o

Thank you very much, cmsally. Based on your second suggestion, I stopped and enquired this morning at one of the shops of our esteemed yellow sponsor. I received there a suggestion that was much like your first, which the added benefit of directions that I understood fully (I don't know what the 3 Kings monument is, although of course would have researched and figured it out). However, their suggestion and yours have now been trumped by the spectacularly specific and knowledgeable advice offered by our forum leader, p1p!

There is a very good place in Rachaphakinai Road that prints, copies and binds in soft or hardback. The quality is extremely good.

To get to them, go up Rachawithi road from Moon Muang and turn left, (South,) into Rachaphakinai at the first lights. The shop is about 50 Metres up on the right, set back a bit from the road behind a wide pavement.

I have had many books copied and printed & bound by them.

Deeply in your debt for your excellent advice, p1p! I've already pulled out a map and identified exactly where the shop is, and will be paying them a visit very soon. If you want me to mention who sent me, feel free to send me a private message, since I doubt very much that they will have a clue who "p1p" is. Cheers.

Failing that our esteemed sponsor in yellow at the top , should know about this subject.

We don't rebind our books, so I know little about it.

p1p's suggestion sounds perfect. :o

Thank you for responding. If I may, I would like to mention that the woman working today at your Thapae Gate store behind the desk in the little room to the right-hand side of the register (facing into the store from the street) was extremely helpful and polite. Consider that a plug, if you like, both for her and for our esteemed sponsor, Gecko Books. :D

Deeply in your debt for your excellent advice, p1p! I've already pulled out a map and identified exactly where the shop is, and will be paying them a visit very soon. If you want me to mention who sent me, feel free to send me a private message, since I doubt very much that they will have a clue who "p1p" is. Cheers.

No debt - we help where we can. They know me well in there, but not by name.

Failing that our esteemed sponsor in yellow at the top , should know about this subject.

We don't rebind our books, so I know little about it.

p1p's suggestion sounds perfect. :o

Thank you for responding. If I may, I would like to mention that the woman working today at your Thapae Gate store behind the desk in the little room to the right-hand side of the register (facing into the store from the street) was extremely helpful and polite. Consider that a plug, if you like, both for her and for our esteemed sponsor, Gecko Books. :D

Thank you Rasseru. I passed on your praise and she was most grateful.

My staff are the best thing about the running the store. Every one of them is freindly and helpful, however, the newer people often haven't learned where all the books are yet and don't know all the authors, so though they do their best, they might not be of much help. We only hire people who have worked in bookstores before, but sometimes it takes a while for them to learn about authors that they haven't encountered before and our system.

We have a bunch of stores and the main one is quite large, so, we are working on putting all of our stock on the computer now so that it won't be so difficult to find things. In a few months, the program should be up and running and it will be easier for everybody. :D

There is a few type of Binding in chiangmai .

And the one i lie best is theType there Punch tiny hole on the Paper and then using a Wire . stringing up the pages . like sewing machine .. and then adding hard cover to it .

" Lang More " have afew shop doing Binding .

There is also one Near the Mookata bufet " zoom sabai " is along that road . heading toward Lang more .

- there is also one shop that do binding near Payap . school ( but that is like 1 years go when i help some girl withing binding ) so not sure if it still open ..

i think KSK also have one shop doing it .

Most large photocopy shop would provide such service

There is also a shop near the Three KING . junction . just beside the POstoffice . i think there offer good standard Booking binding also .

-

Good luck if you need direction .. if you going to the KArt outing . maybe i can give you direction in person .

There

i know some leather smith . and i think is possible . and not a hard task ..

the leather smith might not be able to do it .. but if you can cross the workprocess together and replace the the paper cover with leather you should get a nice result .

you need guy who can mount leather on thin wood and then drill the needed hole and also use yellow shoe glue to bind the leather first . and then ater binding the magazine using pin punch string up the magazine . and then Using HOT Glue finishing it with the leather cover

Would they be able to do high quality leather bound books? I want to bind my magazine by year into really nice leather covers with printed inscriptions. Would they be able to do this? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

I see no reason why they couldn't bind your magazines, although I have never had anything quite like that done by them. Leather though is a different matter. I have never found a leather book binder here, and would have a lot of business for them if I could locate one.

Would they be able to do high quality leather bound books? I want to bind my magazine by year into really nice leather covers with printed inscriptions. Would they be able to do this? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

After learning here about the shop, the name of which is Anaknong, I paid them a visit and talked with them about what I wanted to do. I do not speak Thai, and the woman I spoke with initially brought out another older woman who speaks English moderately well.

I asked her to show me the different kind of covers that they could use. None were leather or cloth, but they did have one cover that was somewhat "leather-like" in its appearance. It is what I intend to use when I have the books made that prompted me to start this thread. As I understand it, the shop uses that cover primarily for binding theses for students at CMU. On it they can put a kind of embossed gold lettering. It is not what you mention, but it may be close enough that you might want to take a look at it.

Thank you. We just celebrated our 15th anniversary, so I thought it would be a nice present to ourselves to get all 180 copies bound into years. I will check out these shops, but share your doubt as I have never heard of anyone doing this here. But thanks for your help. Its been a while since my last visit to ThaiVisa, and you are all as helpful and friendly as ever.

• 1 month later...

By way of follow up, I had ten books made at Anaknong, the shop recommended earlier on this thread by p1p. They did an outstanding job, paying very close attention to detail, the books are marvellous and I am very pleased. Some in the world may misread my praise here, and decide that as I am praising it, it must not be a good shop. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ta, p1p, for the tip.

By way of follow up, I had ten books made at Anaknong, the shop recommended earlier on this thread by p1p. They did an outstanding job, paying very close attention to detail, the books are marvellous and I am very pleased. Some in the world may misread my praise here, and decide that as I am praising it, it must not be a good shop. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ta, p1p, for the tip.

I am truly glad they did a good job for you. Thank you too for posting the name. I can never remember it!

costings please?

Details: Ten volumes. Each, 491 pages, copied double-sided from a double-sided loose copy, but with the copying done, at my request, differently from the original (that is, page 1 of the original was on the back of one sheet of paper, while pages 2 and 3 were front and back of the next, and so on, but in the book pages 1 and 2 were produced on the front and back of one sheet of paper, and, again, so on). Very nice cloth hard covers, using the images I had created for the front of the book and the spine, themselves covered in protective plastic covers.

Cost: With tax, 3,670 baht.

Edited by Rasseru