Fish That Reduce Colesterol

RamdomChances

Did'nt know wether to put this in the language section or here.

I was chatting to my mate last night and we got around to talking about colesterol (his is high), I seem to remember reading that if you eat oily fish that contain omega 3 oil??? it helps reduce colesterol. Is this true??

What would "oily fish" be in thai ?

I could thinkof a few different types :-

Sardines, Pla Sabba, Pla To, anyone know of any more or know the translations?

Cheers RC

Approximately 80 percent of the bodies cholesterol is made by your liver. Your liver produces an enzyme which your own body then uses to produce cholesterol. The so-called cholesterol lowering drugs like Lipitor and Pravastatin actually inhibit the livers production of this enzyme, thereby causing the liver to takeup more of the bloods cholesterol.

Saturated fat raises your blood cholesterol level more than anything else in your diet. Therefore, the best way to reduce your blood cholesterol level is to reduce the amount of saturated fat you eat. All animal products, such as milk and butter contain high levels of saturated fat. This also applies to fish and shellfish (shrimp, lobster, etc.) but especially meat.

Unsaturated fat actually helps to lower cholesterol levels when it is substituted for saturated fat. Polyunsaturated fat is found in the oils of fish and shellfish (often referred to as fish oils, or omega-3 fatty acids), however, there is little evidence that omega-3 fatty acids are useful for reducing LDL-cholesterol levels. While "oily fish" such as herring, salmon, and mackerel contain the highest levels of polyunsaturated fat, the use of fish oil supplements are not recommended for the treatment of high blood cholesterol, because it is not known whether long-term ingestion of omega-3 fatty acids will lead to undesirable side effects. Tests (in women) showed omega-3 does provide some "blood thinning" qualities, which may aid in the prevention of strokes and heart attacks.

As our good Dr. Pepe has stated many times, when it comes to good health its all about DIET...DIET...DIET

Speaking of diets...as we now know, Dr. Atkins was 258 lbs. at the time of his death, an obese weight for a man 6’ tall. For those of you who watch what you eat…

Here’s the final word on nutrition and health. It’s a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans.

3. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans.

4. The French and Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you. :o

Unsaturated fat actually helps to lower cholesterol levels when it is substituted for saturated fat. Polyunsaturated fat is found in the oils of fish and shellfish (often referred to as fish oils,

I remember that completely replacing saturated fats in your diet with the others actually increases your cholesterol levels. Weird but, apparently, true.

A point a lot of people don't grasp is that cholesterol is essential for your survival. That's why your body produces it. This is what cholesterol is

Mackerel is Plaa Saba.

Plaa Tu are a type of sardine ( usually steamed in a cute basket)

:D

Any Thais out there reading this as my AUA Book defines Pla Tu as Mackerel? :o

I've got a felling they both might be Mackerel, just different types, Plaaa Saba is much nicer (in my opinion).

So does eating oily fish actually hepl reduce colesterol, or is it just the fact that you are'nt eating saturated fat?

For info:

Your Cholesterol Reading - What should it be?

Cholesterol readings you receive from your medical provider generally include total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and HDL cholesterol levels. It is important to look at all three readings, not just the total cholesterol. The following are recommended goals for your cholesterol readings:

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL (mg/dl)

Desirable: Below 200

Borderline: 200-239

Undesirable: 240 and above

LDL CHOLESTEROL (mg/dl) "The Bad Cholesterol"

Desirable: Below 130

Borderline: 130-159

Undesirable: 160 and above

HDL CHOLESTEROL (mg/dl) "The Good Cholesterol"

Desirable: Above 45

Borderline: 40-45

Undesirable: Below 40

TRIGLYCERIDES

Desirable: Below 150

Borderline: 150-199

Undesirable: Above 200

Saturated fat is the main dietary component associated with raising cholesterol. Saturated fats are found mainly in animal products and the tropical oils.

The following foods are high in saturated fat and should be used sparingly in the diet: beef fat, lamb, pork fat (lard), butter, cream, whole milk dairy products (whole milk and cheeses) coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil, and cocoa butter.

The body converts the alcohol in beer into a sugar, and therefore your Triglyceride count may be raised. As with all alcohol consumption, moderation is of prime importance. Smoking also effects cholesterol readings as it constricts blood vessels, elevates blood pressure, and raises the LDL cholesterol level.

Just had my 3rd test this year, Cholesterol is 176, should be 150 odd max, last test in july/ august i was 155, (started drinking beer again).

Time to take Dr's advice i think.

Dave, I like you... not sure why but I like your posts. Do yourself a favor and take the Doc's advice. I had normal cholesterol and had a quad bypass at 48. I was lucky... went to the hospital just in time when I realized that the pressure in my chest was not indigestion, as I'd been thinking. 90% blockage in one artery, 60% in another and 50% in the third... also had the mamorial artery plugged into my heart. I have smoked for 12 years since the op. but I watch my DIET very carefully and avoid STRESS as much as possible. I used to be a very heavy drinker and quit completely except for a glass or two of red wine every day. I cut red meat drastically (once every two or three weeks) and eat a LOT of fish, Salmon, Mackrel, Sardines and other oily fish. No butter, no cheese, fat free milk, fat free yougurt, plenty of olive oil, sunflower oil for cooking (very little) Omega 3 eggs once in a while.

It is all a matter of changing your 'habits'. I have quit smoking several times but the drug has a hold of me and makes me too miserable when I stop... So I try very hard indeed to keep to a strict diet and avoid the worse killer of all... stress.

It seems you check yourself quite regularly which is good. It might be advisable also to take a childs 75 or 80 coated Asprin daily. This will help you avoid stroke or heart attack. Of the 5 pills I take daily, the Doc tells me the Asprin is the most important one to take and not miss.

Thanks for that.

Its my ldl thats not good, Family on my Dads side have all had these problems in the past also, I've already lost an Uncle and Auntie through Heart problems and my Dads insulin dependant now as well as having an angyoplasty (spelling unsure) already.

It is definatley time to change my diet although I have to say, its hard living in Pattaya and owning/running a niteclub.

Beer was the culprit this time, it was my own fault because i stopped drinking whiskey and went onto beer.

Hi Chonabot and Boon Mee,

At the risk of appearing a smart-ass

Plaa Thu - Rastrelliger kanagurta,family scombridae = mackerel family.

The fish is a mackerel,although on the boat I work the Thais call it a sardine when speaking english.My girlfriend also and I daren't correct her.

Either way,hooked up live, and rigged with a wire leader and 2 hooks the little guys make for a superb bait.Any left overs get deep fried and served with prik nam plaa.Can't help you as regards the cholesterol though.

\M

So sorry to keep on about this and all but does eating oily fish actully help reduce colesterol??.....

RamdomChances - ALL animal meat contains both saturated and unsaturated fat.

Beef, Pork, Chicken etc. are higher in saturated fat (the "bad" fat) than Fish, but BOTH contain these fats. Therefore one could say eating the same amount of fish vs. beef, does lower your overall intake of a cholesterol producing food. Not because it is cholesterol-free but because it has less saturated (cholersterol producing) fat.

However, there are other problems associated with eating large quantities of fish.

Medical authorities suggest you limit your intake of most fish to one serving per week. With some fish (large "shallow water" fish), that recommendation is 1 serving per month. Pregnant women are advised not to eat fish during the pregnancy. The reason for ALL this caution is the high mercury levels in many species of fish/seafood, especially larger fish. It should also be noted that farm raised fish (which now accounts for over 80 percent of fish sold in stores) contain a higher level of these "heavy metals", than "wild" fish. Most food stores in USA have posted FDA "fish warnings" on their seafood counters, detailing these cautions.

Again, it's all about "everything in moderation".

The fish is a mackerel,although on the boat I work the Thais call it a sardine when speaking english.My girlfriend also and I daren't correct her.

Either way,hooked up live, and rigged with a wire leader and 2 hooks the little guys make for a superb bait.Any left overs get deep fried and served with prik nam plaa.Can't help you as regards the cholesterol though.

\M

Cheers for clearing that up ! ( wanders off to chastise wife , nervously.... :o )

Most ill-health in modern society is caused by eating (and drinking) too many carbohydrates and not getting enough GOOD fats.

That means heavily cutting down on the stodge -- rice, bread, pasta, booze, cakes, junk food, sugars and fruit juices (but not fruit).

Regarding fats, first chuck out your corn and vegetable oils and avoid anything with 'hydrogenated' on the label. Use olive oil cold only. For cooking use palm oil, coconut oil, coconut cream ('ga-ti' from 7-11s), natural animal fats, or peanut / sesame oils.

Almonds and macadamia nuts are great, as are flax, pumpkin, sunflower and hemp (yes, ganja) seeds. Figs, raisins and most fruits and vegetables help de-acidify the body, building greater resistance to disease and promoting strong bones.

Yes, a lot of the things above doctors will tell you are bad ... well they ARE bad for their pocketbooks because it could mean an imminent outbreak of good health ... what's the incentive to change and do yourself out of business? The ancient Chinese had the right idea : they only paid the doctors whilst they were WELL!

Since this thread centred around fish I should sound a cautionary note. Most seafood today is heavily polluted with methyl mercury and other heavy metals. So you should limit your consumption unless you know it is from a safe source such as wild Alaska salmon. Can you imagine the amount of industrial pollution entering Aowthai from a highly-corrupt, unregulated country like Thailand?

Commercial purified fish oils and combination oil supplements like Atkins' essential oils from www.iherb.com are a good idea, and fairly cheap. In my opinion vegetarians lose out on nutrition by omitting fish oils.

If you must eat fish, remember those with smaller bodies like sardines have lower toxin loads -- those higher up the food chain have more.

\M

Cheers for clearing that up ! ( wanders off to chastise wife , nervously.... :D )

I checked back with my "little bride" and she said there's small fish also called "sardines" in LOS as well.

So...it clears up the Plaa Thu issue. I have to see these sardines... :o

It is my understanding that omega 3s are good for the heart so taking a salmon oil capsule daily would be a good idea.

Garlic may also be beneficial as it is known to be good for blood pressure.

All the other things are important too like plenty of fruit and veggies and cutting back on saturated fats.

Exercise is very important as well as it reduces stress and gets the heart going....

• 2 weeks later...

Despite all the data on the benefits of Omega 3, the key negative is the presence of increasing levels of mercury in fish. Deadens the brain. Agree with Ravisher about the biggest killer being STRESS and the best single pill remedy, the 81 mg. Baby Aspirin -- one a day is all you need.

• 2 months later...