Getting Rid Of Ticks

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of ticks in the yard? I had heard at one time that there are sprays which will kill the ticks but still safe for the dogs but I haven't had any luck finding anything.

There is a spray called Frontline, which will kill the ticks, problem is they come straight back.

How many dogs do you have and what kind? Our dog used to get them, but we've since moved and she's now away from other dogs, after picking them off a few times she stopped getting them.

In our last place, the ppl in the house next door had 5 poodles, in a short time there were heaps of ticks and within about 2 months their house was infested. The bottom part of the walls were covered in tiny black specks, there were 100's of thousands of them. It was a real nightmare.

On the dog:

*Frontline spot, or

*Frontline Spray, or

*Ticky Powder such as TicTox

or

In the dog:

*Ivermectin injection every 2 to 3 months depending on the dose the vet gives.

Bathing a dog with tick/flea shampoo doesn't really kill the ticks, plus it takes the natural skin oil away, making the dog more vulnerable for ticks and other parasites.

And:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...99&hl=ticks

When there is an epidemic all tick repellents don't really work, in my experience. At the kennel with all the comers adn goers, I have Pest control every month to spray the premises against ticks. This month even twice (last week they came and coming Friday they come again), as I had an outbreak.

I've noticed that when you have an outbreak spraying once doesn't help, because after the spraying the ticks are coming out of their hiding places and the stuff used don't kill the eggs. So a second and sometimes even thrid round is needed.

That's what i also always advice to my customers.

When you decide to have pest control coming over, then it is best to wathc them when spraying. They tend to spray only the grounds (as with termites spraying), but they have to spray all cracks, bushes in the garden, under the roof, under the places where your dog loves to sleep, and even behind those metal bar things in front of your windows, etc. Ticks crawl up again the walls and then hide somewhere.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...03&hl=ticks

With my kennel and all those rotating dogs I have unfortunately a lot of experience with these pests.

If you are planning to call in the troups, then it is best to do so at least twice with a two week interval, 1 time is most often not enough. The pest control company where I informed several years ago told me they have packages of 1 time only, two or 4 times within one month, and a yearly contract for once a month.

Anyway, name of the ticky powder that to my experience is most efficient is TICTOX, available in most petshops. Dunno the ingredients, but for sure not very environmental and doggy friendly

You can powder the dog before going to sleep. Next morning they're stone dead (the ticks, not the dog ), providing that you have powdered on the skin and not only on the coat. Disadvantage of this treatment is that you have to repeat this at least twice a week and if the dog swims, every day. If your dog has a lot of ticks, you can consider it dipping in Bayticol (most vet's sell this as anti- tick and -flea liquid). Be carefull, though as it is highly poisonous. I get the impression that Pest control also uses the ingredients that is in Bayticol, but then in even higher concentrations. But I can be wrong here. The boys who spray have no other clue than that it stinks and possible not too good for the health

Frontline, revolution, tick shampoo's , ivermectin injection against ticks, and most powders are inefficient in areas where the tick is epidemic and still doesn't prevent some ticks to crawl up your animal, bite and transmit one of the horrible tick disease.

I advise my customers to test their dogs for E-canis every 6 months. Because when this fatal disease is caught in its acute stage, it can be cured. But once it has gone over into the chronic stage, the only thing that you can do is boost the immune system with a very good diet.

Oh, and don't think that when your dog gets only 3 or 4 ticks a year it can't get E.canis. A friend of my found one tick. 14 days later she did the SNAP-test and the dog tested positive And this is only one of the several cases I have come accross.

Edited by Nienke

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of ticks in the yard? I had heard at one time that there are sprays which will kill the ticks but still safe for the dogs but I haven't had any luck finding anything.

We have the same problem and have used the Frontline drops and injections from the vet and neither has been very effective. I've decide to spray around the house and yard so I did some Googling and found a chemical called Permethrin. The local ag/pesticide shop said they don't sell it in Thailand and recommended spraying with Syngenta's Karate 2.5 EC. First sunny day I'll be mixing some up and spraying. He said spray again after 15 days to kill newly hatched ticks. Will advise how it works.

rgds

We have the same problem and have used the Frontline drops and injections from the vet and neither has been very effective. I've decide to spray around the house and yard so I did some Googling and found a chemical called Permethrin. The local ag/pesticide shop said they don't sell it in Thailand and recommended spraying with Syngenta's Karate 2.5 EC. First sunny day I'll be mixing some up and spraying. He said spray again after 15 days to kill newly hatched ticks. Will advise how it works.

rgds

How many dogs do you have? When our dog has had ticks I've found the only really effective treatment is to pick them off twice a day, you have to check between the toes. After a couple of weeks ther are no more ticks. If you have alot of dogs or you dogs come into contact with others then it's a problem.

One's results may vary indeed as Frontline has worked perfectly for our dogs; two doses over 3 years... the last one being more than a year ago (haven't found a single tick on them so far). They also take ivermectin each month for heart worm defense (we use Vormex, switched over from Heartguard, because the pills are smaller and easier to get them to swallow).

:o

Basically we have 2 dogs which get regular injections for ticks as well as the frontline drops. There seems to be a new infestation in our yard with a different breed of tick. These ones are very tiny black ones and the wife said the dogs were covered in them. Our dogs also get bathes pretty regular so this may not be helping either as Neinke suggested.

The main thing I was looking for is a chemical that pest control could spay in the yard to get rid of the ticks that isn't agent orange or something that isn't deadly for the dogs and people.

Does anyone know of a good pest control company in the Rayong / Pattaya area?

Also check all the groud floor window frames because they crawl up walls and hide in tiny cracks. I have found Adventix (rival to frontline) to be effective with my lab.

The little black ones are worse than the common brown dog ticks as the ones you have can and do bite people.

Good luck.

Basically we have 2 dogs which get regular injections for ticks as well as the frontline drops. There seems to be a new infestation in our yard with a different breed of tick. These ones are very tiny black ones and the wife said the dogs were covered in them. Our dogs also get bathes pretty regular so this may not be helping either as Neinke suggested.

The main thing I was looking for is a chemical that pest control could spay in the yard to get rid of the ticks that isn't agent orange or something that isn't deadly for the dogs and people.

Does anyone know of a good pest control company in the Rayong / Pattaya area?

I've heard it first hand now several times, but haven't tried it out myself, i've to admit :o:

dogs allowed in the field and hardly ever bathed (healthy dogs, i've to add) hardly have any ticks (but are not completey ticks free though). These dogs are often dusty, and love to roll in their kind of parfume ... cow or buffalo dung. Again, I add that they are very healthy! The owners noticed that as soon as they after gave their dogs a bath, the dog was within the shortest time covered with ticks. My conclusion is then that the protection layer is taken of by the shampoo, making the dogs more vulnerable to ticks. Also, first thing the dogs did after the bath, if given the chance, was to run into the field to find the first the best dung to roll in.

So far I know, the chemical used by pest control are organo-phosphates, not exactly non-poisoness. On the contrary, unfortunately ... :D There was a vet in Chiang Mai who sold an 'environmental friendly' tick spray (it turned out not to be that environmental friendly, after all, although less poisoness then the organo-phosphates). After trying it out, I didn't think it work that well, so I switched back to pest control :D.

Nienke

rgds

How many dogs do you have? When our dog has had ticks I've found the only really effective treatment is to pick them off twice a day, you have to check between the toes. After a couple of weeks ther are no more ticks. If you have alot of dogs or you dogs come into contact with others then it's a problem.

We also have 2 dogs and the property is fenced in so they never come into contact with other dogs. My wife picks fleas off in the mornings and evenings and it's not uncommon for her to pick a couple hundred in a day. The fleas are in the ears, between the toes, on the back, and neck. These are tiny little reddish brown devils and they love the dogs.

rgds

Also check all the groud floor window frames because they crawl up walls and hide in tiny cracks. I have found Adventix (rival to frontline) to be effective with my lab.

The little black ones are worse than the common brown dog ticks as the ones you have can and do bite people.

Good luck.

Hubby calls those chicken ticks as they are frequently on chickens (obviously :o)

Argas persicus is found worldwide in tropical and subtropical countries and is the vector of Borrelia anserina (spirochetosis, Avian Spirochetosis: Introduction). In the USA, the A persicus complex has been divided to include A sanchezi and A radiatus in addition to A persicus . These ticks are particularly active in poultry houses during warm, dry weather. All stages may be found hiding in cracks and crevices during the day. Larvae can be found on the birds because they remain attached and feed for 2-7 days. Nymphs and adults feed at night in ~15-30 min. Nymphs feed and molt several times before reaching the adult stage. Adults feed repeatedly, and the females lay 50-100 eggs after each feeding. Adult females may live ≥4 yr without a blood meal.

In addition to being vectors of some poultry diseases (eg, spirochetosis, aegyptianellosis), fowl ticks produce anemia (most important), weight loss, depression, toxemia, and paralysis. Egg production decreases. Red spots can be seen on the skin where the ticks have fed. Because the ticks are nocturnal, the birds may show some uneasiness when roosting. Death is rare, but production may be severely depressed.

After houses are cleaned, walls, ceilings, cracks, and crevices should be treated thoroughly (using a high-pressure sprayer) with carbaryl, coumaphos, malathion, stirofos, or a mixture of stirofos and dichlorvos. Cracks and crevices should be filled in

Merck Vet manual

carr4.jpg

I have had this problem before and the ticks were very difficult to get rid of. We sprayed the yard with some stuff we got from the vet which came in a small vial. We mixed with water and sprayed. We have tried frontline, tick spray on the dogs and powder but we have finally found success with tick collars. We buy these from the vet at about 250Baht each and so far, they have worked beautifully. They are effective for about 3 months and any ticks that are on the dogs will die and fall off within a couple of days. We haven't had any tick problems in about two years, touch wood.

I have had this problem before and the ticks were very difficult to get rid of. We sprayed the yard with some stuff we got from the vet which came in a small vial. We mixed with water and sprayed. We have tried frontline, tick spray on the dogs and powder but we have finally found success with tick collars. We buy these from the vet at about 250Baht each and so far, they have worked beautifully. They are effective for about 3 months and any ticks that are on the dogs will die and fall off within a couple of days. We haven't had any tick problems in about two years, touch wood.

Do you have a brand name and source for the collars? Maybe a good second level screen after spraying the patio and yard with the Karate.

rgds

Do you have a brand name and source for the collars? Maybe a good second level screen after spraying the patio and yard with the Karate.

rgds

Not to hand. I just bought some last week and threw the packages away. I will try to pop in to the vets and find the name. Will come back and let you know.

Thanks for all the information. I wonder if BambinA has any recommendation for tick investations.

Are ticks more prevalent this time of year? We hadn't noticed ticks on our two dogs until recently. Now my husband picks them off twice and day and then some. Both dogs get a daily brushing, but they are by no means that clean as we can't keep them out of the pond. We have three rai and they don't come into contact with other dogs. However, since there are workers building again next door there are several dogs there.

I give my cat medication that is for heartworm, fleas and ticks and she doesn't seem to have a problem.

I hesitate to use the flea & tick collars as they really irritated the skin of my last dog in the states.

Beachbunny