Tonneau Covers For Pick-up Trucks

wilko

Two questions: -

1. - The product - Has anyone had experience good or bad of the Aero tonneau cover?

2. - The solution - Is there a fair trading authority in Thailand?

I recently bought a black plastic tonneau cover from Aero for my pick-up and the thing has turned out to be a disaster. It is sub-standard (this has been admitted by one of the sales team) and the subsequent attempts to rectify the problems have made matters worse.

I'm still wrestling with the company to get an equitable solution but as yet have been met with great grey swathes of indifference.

I’m determined to have a cover on the back of my vehicle that both fits and functions and feel the Aero have lead me up the garden path.

I’d be glad to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience or can give any advice on consumer protection or fair trading in Thailand.

I’d be glad to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience or can give any advice on consumer protection or fair trading in Thailand.

:D:wub::D:D

consumer protection and thailand in the same sentance

how much did the thing cost you in the first place?

i understand your grief,i would be p!ssed as well, but sometimes its better to just admit defeat and walk away.

and then one night, when the moon is down,cam yourself up,slip into your ninja espionage outfit, creep out of the house, leopard crawl through the undergrowth and put up notice boards all around town saying "aero covers are shit"

preferably in Thai. :o:D

I bought a load liner for my Toyota.

After 2 months it split.

The shop agreed to replace it.

I called in every month to ask about it.

After 5 months I was told I was being a problem.

After nine months I got it replaced .

Nine years later the shop owner will not speak to me.

The story so far...

Deck cover ordered 3 – 8 – 47 (2004) – Delivered and fitted within 2 days…

Problems: -

1. Lock cover comes detached & is lost due to faulty hinge.

2. Replacement not found for many weeks

3. Replacement fitted at Chonburi – against my wishes – turns out to be old or used part.

4. Replacement lock cover does not seal.

5. Lock no longer works

6. Mechanism is sloppy and loose

7. Mechanism not watertight – Pattaya dealer attempts to fix with “Mastic” at Pattaya, spends ½ day attempting to rectify faults of work done in Chonburi.

8. Lid does not fasten firmly.

9. Right hand side of lid does not seal against the vehicle side.

1/9/47: 3 engineers sent to my house to look at lid; it is decided to fit a new lock as the lid cannot otherwise be locked at all, but it is agreed that lid supplied does not fit properly and must be replaced altogether.

New lock fitted but it is noted that the lock cover casting is poor and does not allow the cover to click into place so it can flip up easily, exposing the lock itself to the elements.

I am told by supervisor Insee Bamrungpong that if I come to the factory near Rayong on the following Tuesday (5th October) an entire new lid will be fitted for me – the operation to take about 2 hours.

The 3 men worked for about 4 hours on the lid outside my house to make it work as well as possible, as they were clearly trying extremely hard to do the right thing, I offered them a tip which they courteously but insistently refused. The supervisor then went to his truck and handed me a bottle of wine (gift-wrapped) by way of an apology for all the hassle...so possibly on Tuesday I will get a lid that fits too.

I agree that Consumer protection in Thailand is an oxymoron but in this case not just giving in seems to have done the trick. I won't be counting my chickens before they hatch though.

The cost? Is that relevant? If I pay for anything regardless of cost I expect it to perform as one would reasonably expect, or else there's no reason to buy it. (E.g. a camera must take photos, a lump of meat must be edible, a cigarette must burn at one end and be suckable at the other, and a cover must cover and protect) .In fact it cost 7500 baht.

I must also point out that I appear to be getting a 10% to 15% improvement in fuel economy with the cover on!

Success!

I went to the factory and was met at the gate by the supervisor. Once in reception I was given a drink and told that a new lid would be fitted to my vehicle and this would take about two hours.

I was then given lunch in a conference room. Tom Yam, veggies, rice, fish and fruit. The production manager then came to meet me and showed me around the show room and testing facilities. I was not allowed a tour of the factory as it required a docket from the MD who wasn't there.

I was then given a coffee and my vehicle was brought to the front of the building. A new lid fitted; it did not rattle, the lock worked and the lock cover clicks quietly shut. The lid now seals with the body work almost all the way round and opens and closes easily.

well I'm glad I didn't give up and walk away...