Dengue

damian

Quick note to let you know that the daughter and I were knocked up with Dengue he week before last. Both back to sort of normal now but is a lesson to be learnt that you cannot be too complacent about mozzies especially this time of year an with all the rain we have been having.

We are in the Saiyuan Soi Pattana area so be careful out there.

Thanks for sharing this damian and glad to hear that you are both recovering well.

Dengue diagnoses, it seems, becomes more and more frequent every year

Hope that you have taken your precautions with repellent and nets

Since the dengue mosquito only bites during the day, nets are not very helpful. And I would not like to put on repellent all day every day.

Yes, dengue is a risk, so try to avoid being bitten, but it is a risk one simply has to live with here IMO.

Since the dengue mosquito only bites during the day, nets are not very helpful. And I would not like to put on repellent all day every day.

Yes, dengue is a risk, so try to avoid being bitten, but it is a risk one simply has to live with here IMO.

If you have screens on all your windows and empty standing water at least every day, you can minimize your chances a great deal.

Dengue almost killed me a few years ago -- it is definitely worth taking these simple precautions.

If you have screens on all your windows and empty standing water at least every day, you can minimize your chances a great deal.
You're right, was not thinking about those screens.

I also had dengue a few years ago, spend 6 days in hospital, and it really was no fun. But still, in a country like this I could get it again.

I was knocked out for over 2 weeks recently.

Do not know if the o.p. had it confirmed via blood tests but i went to AEK Udon to check my condition out and a possible cause.

I felt like i was really going down hill fast and kinda worried about it.

They suspected D.Fever, admitted me anyway, as they were concerned about my health in any case, and i also had all the signs of the above to go on as a starter.

It was confirmed and it had started to infect my liver as i had delayed doing anything about it sooner.

I was on drips for 5 days and while i improved enough to warrant discharge, i felt really shitty for several days after and have only just got back to my normal self.

I went back on the 8th May and another blood test confirmed i was now o.k. re the fever and non the worse for my little set back.

If you feel shitty, have a high fever, no appetite, ect. ect.and it doesn,t appear to be getting better.........................

I would recommend a hospital visit / blood test to either confirm it is D.F. or nothing more serious that flu.

First time in 16 years by the way and while our home is kept as safe as possible with the usual precautions relating to the dreaded mossies.

It has probably come from an outside source in my case by the way as per the local net work of information / experts.

Take care everyone and watch the little buggers.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Do not know if the o.p. had it confirmed via blood tests but i went to AEK Udon to check my condition out and a possible cause.

They suspected D.Fever, admitted me anyway, as they were concerned about my health in any case, and i also had all the signs of the above to go on as a starter.

It was confirmed and it had started to infect my liver as i had delayed doing anything about it sooner.

I was on drips for 5 days and while i improved enough to warrant discharge, i felt really shitty for several days after and have only just got back to my normal self.

I went back on the 8th May and another blood test confirmed i was now o.k. re the fever and non the worse for my little set back.

If you feel shitty, have a high fever, no appetite, ect. ect.and it doesn,t appear to be getting better.........................

I would recommend a hospital visit / blood test to either confirm it is D.F. or nothing more serious that flu.

First time in 16 years by the way and while our home is kept as safe as possible with the usual precautions relating to the dreaded mossies.

It has probably come from an outside source in my case by the way as per the local net work of information / experts.

marshbags

pls can you advise the symptoms you experienced from the very beginning, i.e how it started and progressed over how many days etc.?

marshbags

pls can you advise the symptoms you experienced from the very beginning, i.e how it started and progressed over how many days etc.?

Hiya Nirvana

I was getting headaches. and feelings that i took for the usual flu symptoms.

It gradually got worse, my apppetite was non exisatant and i remember my usual liquid intakes of coffee and plain water tasted awful and they left me feeling sick.

I then started having pains everywhere and in particular, my lower back area.

While probably not so important, but i,ll tell you in case it helps.

My usual energy went downhill fast and i found it very difficult to sit at my computer.

I lost my usual interest and just started checking emails that needed my attention. ( this is most unusual for me as i am always on the internet for a couple of hours in the morning )

Eventually i lost total interest in most of my daily routines, both physical and mental.

I kept lying down, but couldn,t get comfortable, even though i was tired and the pain in my lower back got very bad and at this point i decided to go to the hospital as i knew via my own body awareness that i needed more than the usual medicines i,d been given to take.

My local pharmacy are very good normally, but this time medication was proving useless.

To be honest i started to think i was having a heart problem or something of a similar serious nature and yes i was a little worried.

My motions, when i did them, looked normal as did my urine apart from it being very dark coloured from the lack of fluids.

The hospital doctor did as i posted and checked for blood in my urine, liver function tests, blood tests and a chest xray.

The xray was clear, as was the urine apart from the dehydration effects.

The blood test confirmed D. Fever and the liver tests showed sings of infection there also.

I was on drips for five days, had various medications and blood tests daily until leaving.

Apologies for any repeated info, but thought it may help to put it all together so you don,t have to scroll back for it.

Please remember with children it requires more urgent attention and while i do not subscribe to scare mongering, better to be safe than sorry.

If in doubt make a hospital visit, if it,s not serious, you will have peace of mind and hopefully medication to cure.

If it is serious then your in the best place to be taken care of.

I lost nearly a week prior to going to the hospital and perhaps ishould have gone sooner ????????

IMHO as always of course.

It made me appreciate what being healthy means and how people must feel with more serious situations.

It must be awful to loose your everyday health and all that goes with it, especially if it,s long term as many, sadly, experience.

We must all be aware of our bodies, the usual functions of them and if anything happens that,s not usual, please do as i will now and get it checked out ASP

Don,t keep putting it off for just another day as it could be to late.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Hiya Nirvana

It gradually got worse, my apppetite was non exisatant and i remember my usual liquid intakes of coffee and plain water tasted awful and they left me feeling sick.

My usual energy went downhill fast and i found it very difficult to sit at my computer.

I lost my usual interest and just started checking emails that needed my attention. ( this is most unusual for me as i am always on the internet for a couple of hours in the morning )

Eventually i lost total interest in most of my daily routines, both physical and mental.

I kept lying down, but couldn,t get comfortable, even though i was tired and the pain in my lower back got very bad and at this point i decided to go to the hospital as i knew via my own body awareness that i needed more than the usual medicines i,d been given to take.

My local pharmacy are very good normally, but this time medication was proving useless.

To be honest i started to think i was having a heart problem or something of a similar serious nature and yes i was a little worried.

My motions, when i did them, looked normal as did my urine apart from it being very dark coloured from the lack of fluids.

The hospital doctor did as i posted and checked for blood in my urine, liver function tests, blood tests and a chest xray.

The blood test confirmed D. Fever and the liver tests showed sings of infection there also.

I was on drips for five days, had various medications and blood tests daily until leaving.

Apologies for any repeated info, but thought it may help to put it all together so you don,t have to scroll back for it.

Please remember with children it requires more urgent attention and while i do not subscribe to scare mongering, better to be safe than sorry.

If in doubt make a hospital visit, if it,s not serious, you will have peace of mind and hopefully medication to cure.

I lost nearly a week prior to going to the hospital and perhaps ishould have gone sooner ????????

It made me appreciate what being healthy means and how people must feel with more serious situations.

It must be awful to loose your everyday health and all that goes with it, especially if it,s long term as many, sadly, experience.

We must all be aware of our bodies, the usual functions of them and if anything happens that,s not usual, please do as i will now and get it checked out ASP

marshbags

Hi Marshbags

Thanks for that very informative and useful post. Its good to know early stages and as you said with children etc critical

Nice one.

Thks

That is why Australians gave it the nickname "Back Break Fever"!

Feeling sick almost instantaneously, accompanied by a bad headache, usually very quick increasing fever - up to 40-41 C!

Next days very light sensitive, no appetite, no feeling to drink, aching bones and muscles, general exhaustion.

To drink a lot (added electrolytes) is very, very important, cold wraps around the lower legs, neck and forehead!

NO Aspirin (as it will thins the blood and may incur internal bleeding!!), but Paracetamol can be administered.

I never made it to a hospital... had it 3 times, 3 years in arow, after changing to another location, never occured again!

That is why Australians gave it the nickname "Back Break Fever"!

Feeling sick almost instantaneously, accompanied by a bad headache, usually very quick increasing fever - up to 40-41 C!

Next days very light sensitive, no appetite, no feeling to drink, aching bones and muscles, general exhaustion.

To drink a lot (added electrolytes) is very, very important, cold wraps around the lower legs, neck and forehead!

NO Aspirin (as it will thins the blood and may incur internal bleeding!!), but Paracetamol can be administered.

I never made it to a hospital... had it 3 times, 3 years in arow, after changing to another location, never occured again!

I used to suffer all these symptoms. luckily I found a remedy.....I stopped drinking beer Chang :o

• 2 months later...

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION -VERY HELPFULL.I HAD THE SAME BUT ONLY LASTED FOR 4 DAYS,HEADACHES ,TERRIBLE LOWER BACK ,FOOD TASTED TERRIBLE,NO ENERGY/CONCENTRATION BUT I WAS STUBBORN AND TOUGHED IT OUT AT HOME BUT DRANK 6 LITRES GOOD WATER AND LUCOSADE BY THE DOZEN.I RECKON I GOT OFF LIGHTLY BUT IT CERTAINLY MAKES YOU GLAD WHEN YOU GET BETTER AGAIN..

marshbags

Hiya Nirvana

marshbags

Stop to drink beer Chang....great, we do not need doctors and hospitals anymore. Just stop. That's it.

Doctors normally tell you to stop smoking and drinking alcohol. This can help a little.

What can I do when I think I or a family member seem to have dengue fever?

I thank very much everybody for the detailed information about when you are infected and what is happening to you, to know, it is time to go to a hospital.

After having an accident on the road I think Dengue is something I am afraid a lot to happen.

Would you tell please what was your experience with the hospital you went. Of course I am most interested to know where to go in Phuket. Did they treat you well, cared for you? What did you pay at the end?

Ten years ago I met a swiss man, who told me about his dengue-fever experiences he had. He first went to the International Hospital at the bypass road. He got a room, but nobody cared for him. There was nothing they did. The next day he let him transfer to Phuket International Hospital. There they cared better. This was his report. At this time I only know that Bangkok Phuket Hospital charge like a seven star hotel. I would be afraid to go there in an emergency. Can anybody give advice on this, where to go in Phuket?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can I ask what treatment the hospital give for Dengue once admitted? Is it just a drip to keep your fluid levels up and monitoring vitals or is there drugs (antibiotics etc.) to kill it faster?

No, they cant do nothing. There is no drug avaible

i only got it once but Dr. Thiti told me i could come back whenever i felt like i needed another one.

It helped me for sure.

Dr. Thiti, that is the guy who missed me having dengue fever, even though I told him I suspected I had it. Went to the hospital 2 days later, and there it was clear: dengue fever, you'd better stay here.

That and other experiences have learned me that Dr. Chusak in Kata is much better than Thiti.

Ten years ago I met a swiss man, who told me about his dengue-fever experiences he had. He first went to the International Hospital at the bypass road. He got a room, but nobody cared for him. There was nothing they did. The next day he let him transfer to Phuket International Hospital. There they cared better. This was his report. At this time I only know that Bangkok Phuket Hospital charge like a seven star hotel. I would be afraid to go there in an emergency. Can anybody give advice on this, where to go in Phuket? p_up.gifp_report.gif I don't understand this. Phuket International Hospital & the international hospital on the bypass road are surely one & the same. From what I can see in the hosptals here whether they are "international" standard or not, much of the patient caring is done by relatives as the nurses' duties just seem to be to check for vital signs & administer medications. If looking for something cheaper Mission Hospital may be worth considering.

Ten years ago I met a swiss man, who told me about his dengue-fever experiences he had. He first went to the International Hospital at the bypass road. He got a room, but nobody cared for him. There was nothing they did. The next day he let him transfer to Phuket International Hospital. There they cared better. This was his report. At this time I only know that Bangkok Phuket Hospital charge like a seven star hotel. I would be afraid to go there in an emergency. Can anybody give advice on this, where to go in Phuket? I don't understand this. Phuket International Hospital & the international hospital on the bypass road are surely one & the same. From what I can see in the hosptals here whether they are "international" standard or not, much of the patient caring is done by relatives as the nurses' duties just seem to be to check for vital signs & administer medications. If looking for something cheaper Mission Hospital may be worth considering.

There is only one hospital on the bypass ... Phuket International Hospital. This is my hospital of choice for regular check-ups, emergency care, even an op for my wife. IMHO great patient care. I once tried Missopn Hospital for annual check up. Packed out to the doors, could not even get any counter staff, eventually I left and went to Phuket International. Immediate attention. I avoid Bangkok Phuket as it's really a 5 star hotel, with 5 star prices, and they actively push for additional business.. :o

signs & administer medications. If looking for something cheaper Mission Hospital may be worth considering.

Packed out to the doors, could not even get any counter staff, eventually I left and went to Phuket International. Immediate attention. I avoid Bangkok Phuket as it's really a 5 star hotel, with 5 star prices, and they actively push for additional business.. :o

I really have found very little difference between Phuket International and Bangkok Phuket. Where they both try to dig you for money is for the medications. Get the prescription then go to a local pharmacy outside of the hospitals.

Recently I had one of my molars blow up on me, Bangkok Phuket redid the tooth for about 1,000thb. Cheap !

A year ago I had a moto accident, lots of superficial wounds, Phuket International was excellent. Great care.

Toss up for me, I like both.

signs & administer medications. If looking for something cheaper Mission Hospital may be worth considering.

Packed out to the doors, could not even get any counter staff, eventually I left and went to Phuket International. Immediate attention. I avoid Bangkok Phuket as it's really a 5 star hotel, with 5 star prices, and they actively push for additional business.. :o

I really have found very little difference between Phuket International and Bangkok Phuket. Where they both try to dig you for money is for the medications. Get the prescription then go to a local pharmacy outside of the hospitals.

Recently I had one of my molars blow up on me, Bangkok Phuket redid the tooth for about 1,000thb. Cheap !

A year ago I had a moto accident, lots of superficial wounds, Phuket International was excellent. Great care.

Toss up for me, I like both.

Huggy, thats a good point man. Get the prescriptions and go to another spot!

While working in the middle east I became infected with Scabbies badly. Spent close to 25,000B on meds throught Phuket international. Wish I would have thought of that beforehand.

Though I suspect Phuket International and other Hospitals, have much more in stock then Pharmacies. Where is a really good pharmacy by the way, just not your run of the mill ones you see in Rawai, Kata, etc.