Out Of Control Gang Warfare In Chiang Mai

Lilawadee

I visited Chiang Mai to survey some potential places to settle down and it never struck me as particularly violent. This article however argues otherwise.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,530148,00.html

It's in German, but some highlights include:

-------

" Boys with guns, girls with knuckledusters: At night Chiang Mai, Thailand's second biggest city, transforms into a battleground of youth gangs. The police seems powerless. "

Note there's a second part to the article, that says there's 50 gangs with over 4000 members who are terrorizing the city, gangs with names like "Bin Laden", the "Tiger gang", the "Lost ones" or the "Samurai-Gang".

"Even more so than in the capital Bangkok, Chiang Mai's social problems are shaped by drugs. The golden triangle inundates the city with drugs".

"Of particular concern are the female gangs, names like the "Queens", "Beauties" or "Chai Lai", they all carry knuckledusters. But contrary to the boys, it's not about dominating territory but to sleep with as many male gang members as possible."

-----

So that all sounds pretty lively. :o

Is there that much more to Chiang Mai than meets the eye?

My German is not up to scratch so I ran it through Babel and this was the translation. Still in double Dutch but from the meaning I get, it's a load of old claptrap. If you don't go looking for trouble Chiang Mai is safer than any city in Britain.

Chiang May - the calculation for Pong, 22, was completely simple. "I would have shot not first, I would have been dead." Thus it forced away and saw that it made itself from the dust. "sometimes it goes here hot ago", says the Design student rainless.

The first fight was not for Pong indeed, because when boss of Chiang corn notorious tiger course it must for its younger "brothers" hard again and again zulangen. But it was first with fatal outcome. With its gun, which he had procured himself on the black market for 2000 Baht (about 45 euro), he shot recently two its opponent.

It is far after midnight in Chiang May, the large city in the north of Thailand. From the Disco "Chill Out" roars the hard Beat of a live-rockband, and incessantly still young people flow into the shed at the northern edge of the city: Girls in short skirts and confine Tops, young men in Jeans and with rivets fitted leather jackets. Pong shows proudly its scars Pong - which is not its correct name - a bierflasche snatched itself, sits outside breitbeinig on a bank and told, how it came to its first murder. "two of our younger brothers were guessed/advised into the territory the Samurai course. If I had not protected it, they would have been badly adjusted." That is so simple.

Pong is 1.72 meters large, not muskuloes, but he looks tough. Its stinging view betrays that it can succeed with security well. If it must be, also by brutal force. But this evening it is good drauf. It pulls up its t-Shirt and shows proudly the scars, which it tightened itself with the fights. On the back it has a tiger and buddhistische protection divinities taetowieren itself to leave. "those saved, mean already often the life to me" it. It does not have fear of the revenge of the Samurai. "I am well protected by my brothers." Also that the police sues him, it holds for improbable: "in our course whistles me none." Only we are to tell please nothing to grandmother Aew: "that would be bad, if which would know."

Grandmother Aew punishes most strictly Grandmother Aew can punish those of course of the Chiang May most badly. The woman, with whom Chiang May powerful young-criminal tremble, looks at all furchteinfloessend. Each morning, punctually at 10 o'clock, the roundish, 62-jaehrige former teacher, who is called with civil name Laddawan Chaininpin, in their office sits in the stadium of the 700.000-Einwohner-Stadt. Office is geprahlt, it is actually no more than one garage under the spectator's stands. On the walls hang football poster. "I have influence on youth course", say her, "because I probably the only one am, them listen." But how a former teacher comes into the world of the crime?

by it here", it says and zunickt to a young man with buschiger maehne, for which beside it stands. Eleven years there slipped ago, there its grandchild, Thanyakhett Sirisak, today 23 and student of the tourism, into the world of Chiang corn boy gangs. On the beginning it hung only much too late with its friends on the roads rum, but soon it schnueffelte adhesive, then hard drugs followed and finally came it to fights. It was hurt by a measurer pass heavily and disappeared in polizeigewahrsam. Its grandmother spent days on the guard. There it recognized the dimension of the youth force and decided somewhat against it to do. The golden triangle inundates the city with drugs Still more than in the capital Bangkok, the ten Millionenmoloch, are coined/shaped the social problems of Chiang corn of drugs.

The close golden triangle inundates the city with heroin and the Metaamphetamin "Yaba" ("vibration pill"). Over 50 of young final course with more than 4000 members the city under itself divided. They call themselves "are shop", "tiger course", the "losing" or "Samurai course". Many that gang members predominantly under age are dealers and consumers of hard drugs at the same time. Girls and boy, many younger than 16 years, sell besides their body for less than ten euro. If their interests collide, it comes frequently to conflicts with fatal outcome. Grandmother Aew recognized, collected the social dimension of the situation as the first money with the city administration and foreign relief organizations. "many of the children originate from destroyed parents' houses", say them. "the fathers abandoned their wives. The young people feel hurt and from each social relations cleverly."

The weapon the girl course: Sex Particularly the girls make large concerns for Aew. They united in course like the "Queens", "Beauties" or "Chai Lai" and carry impact rings. But contrary to the boys, it goes marking them not a territory out sleeping but with as much as possible male course members. On the desk of the sozialsorgerischen grandmother therefore a drop glass of full condoms stands. "I understood already for a long time that I can not change the young people", say for Grossmuter Aew, "however if I her spielerisch bring together go it at least for a few hours not one on the other loosely." As soon as her killer Schaefchen comes into difficulties, grandmother Aew runs to the police to mediate tried pays also times a fine and listens first times, what the young people to say to have. That is not always enough.

More as one hundred of their favorites sit at present in the prison, some because of murder to more than ten years condemned. But Aew cannot be discouraged. Twice in the year organize it camps with course and four times the week brings together it young to the football tournament. There this evening the Samurais plays against the tigers. That sounds to fist fights after much force, at least. But not at all. On a military area outside of the city its grandchild placed a Ghetto Blaster against the edge of playing field of an asphalted football pitch, and there kicken young now in clean football leotards so disciplined with one another, as apply it the Fifa Fairness Cup to win.

The crickets chirp in addition, a few young men flaezen themselves on parked motorcycles. Like Thai village idyl looks. But stories, which tell it, do not come of by any means to a sound world. For example Khet, is straight 17 years old it. A delicate boy with fine face courses. Its father disappeared, when he was three. The nut/mother brings it and two brothers and sisters with conditions on the vegetable market through. It visits the last class of the high school - and states course: "recently a 13-jaehriges girl asked me whether we are to go not together into an hour hotel", say it so rainless, as if would be completely normally in its age. But it had hardly withdrawn with the girl, trommelte themselves it at the door. Three young "hostile course stood with the gun before the door and wanted to surround me", say it. It could flee. Which it conceals: Only days before it its course other young person with measurers had annihilated.

Football as replacement for the gang war Like always with the football tournament, grandmother Aew sits this evening on a blue sofa at the edge of playing field. On its lap a green note book lies. It keeps account exactly into it, who participated in its group evenings. Who wants to come back, the mobile phone number must deposit and pay a small fee. Who behaves, flogs beside it and stands under drugs, she sends only into the temple, and in the case of repetition he is excluded from the football tournament. Since many of the young people have no more family, the worst kind of the dear withdrawal, which can threaten them, is so rather. And before it Pong, the brutal boss of the "tigers" is afraid. Later in the evening it goes past also with the soccer game. But whether its course won, it does not interest it only at all. Obviously he repented his confession of past night. "you did not tell grandmother Aew to anything?", raunt it smallloud. "no, as I could. Informant protection." That wrings out it a Grinsen, which lets it appear nearly like a baby. A tiger baby evenly.

"Of particular concern are the female gangs, names like the "Queens", "Beauties" or "Chai Lai", they all carry knuckledusters. But contrary to the boys, it's not about dominating territory but to sleep with as many male gang members as possible."

How about old, fat farangs? :o

Classic - media whoha

making all kinda silly name and silly example ..

in my 10 years in chiangmai the only gang i saw was mine :o whahahahhahahahhahahahaha

but every sat in bangkok there is really a huge motorcycle gang that blockage the road and race at the bangkok transtation at 2am - 5 am ..

chekc it out at your own risk --

est gang member each meeting is about 400 - 700 . youngster

-------

""Of particular concern are the female gangs, names like the "Queens", "Beauties" or "Chai Lai", they all carry knuckledusters. But contrary to the boys, it's not about dominating territory but to sleep with as many male gang members as possible."

-----

So how do i get to become a male gang member ? :o

Loved the Babel translation, MB!

I think James Joyce will have to move over; my mind was leaping and spinning reading that.... :o

As far as the article's content.....what a bunch of old, regurgitated claptrap.

Sounds like Der Spiegel is going the way of Newsweek and Time magazines in the US- something read by old gits with absolutely no touch with reality...

-------

""Of particular concern are the female gangs, names like the "Queens", "Beauties" or "Chai Lai", they all carry knuckledusters. But contrary to the boys, it's not about dominating territory but to sleep with as many male gang members as possible."

-----

Time to form our own one ?

The Old Farts Club / Fat Gits / The Old B'Stards / Thai-Visaz / Chang United / Hansum Men ? :D

Who penned the Der Spiegel article ? Does it say ? When these things get pulled out in UK papers or docs, or US ones for that matter, the ppl responsible for printing such drivel usually get a good (well deserved) dragging through the mud along with their article.

But otherwise good article: Sex, Gangs, Drugs, Murder, Sports, Savior Old Lady. Classic movie tale.

There is an established gang culture here, but you have to look for it, especially if you are Farang. Though my wife used to teach at Dara. She taught some boys who were in the "Samurai gang" after awhile some of them would ask her to help to get off drugs etc. just a classic need of someone with authority/responsibility to help them. Though some tough guys started spreading rumors about them and here and these same boys who asked for helped offered to kill the boys spreading rumors...

There is an established gang culture here, but you have to look for it, especially if you are Farang. Though my wife used to teach at Dara. She taught some boys who were in the "Samurai gang" after awhile some of them would ask her to help to get off drugs etc. just a classic need of someone with authority/responsibility to help them. Though some tough guys started spreading rumors about them and here and these same boys who asked for helped offered to kill the boys spreading rumors...

that gang's HQ is the noodle stand opposite the Jet garage just along from the entrance to Dara

-------

-----

Time to form our own one ?

The Old Farts Club / Fat Gits / The Old B'Stards / Thai-Visaz / Chang United / Hansum Men ? :D

The Duke's Phat Boyz! :D

"Even more so than in the capital Bangkok, Chiang Mai's social problems are shaped by drugs. The golden triangle inundates the city with drugs".

-----

So that all sounds pretty lively. :o

Is there that much more to Chiang Mai than meets the eye?

It must be true. I've noticed that the Jets and the Sharks are on UBC every night for almost two months now....... :D

that gang's HQ is the noodle stand opposite the Jet garage just along from the entrance to Dara

isnt the name Mamas and not Samurai? :o

My German is not up to scratch so I ran it through Babel and this was the translation. Still in double Dutch but from the meaning I get, it's a load of old claptrap. If you don't go looking for trouble Chiang Mai is safer than any city in Britain.

I personally know two local guys who've been hospitalized in the last month in separate incidents of gang violence, one after some one bounced a Samurai sword off his head (jing jing!) I doubt they'd agree that its "claptrap".

I personally know two local guys who've been hospitalized in the last month in separate incidents of gang violence, one after some one bounced a Samurai sword off his head (jing jing!) I doubt they'd agree that its "claptrap".
Sorry to hear it, Paagai, but aren't some of your buddies the worst of the late night bad guys, as compared to the Thai preppies at Dara Academy?

Sorry to hear it, Paagai, but aren't some of your buddies the worst of the late night bad guys, as compared to the Thai preppies at Dara Academy?

The only real difference between local kids/ vocational students/ and the preppy boys is not the level of violence, but the level of income, connections and ability to buy their way out of a situation...

Just join a gang General. Let me know what the initiation rites are like and I might look into it myself.

I HAVE AN OUTSTANDING LOOKING MEMBER......DO YOU NEED HOSPITALISATION TO TRANSFORM IT INTO A GANG MEMBER....EA?

DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

If it's the same Der speigle I'm thinking, they were totally discredited many years ago, when they published "The Hitler diaries" proven to be totally false and forgeries. Some jail time was earned as well as a few heads rolled.

True, I guess some aren't in the "don't go looking for trouble" category, and I suspect neither of the guys I mentioned above were entirely innocent! A common scenario: one hot head gets into an argument somewhere, then goes back with some mates to "sort it out"; it escalates until someone gets hurt......or worse. One factor propogating Gang warfare in Chiang Mai is the many different tribal groups, some of whom are still trying to settle scores dating back to the middle ages!

Samurais.....well it was the first I'd heard of them outside of Japanese folklore, but, true story: the 18 year old son of my Mair Baan was returning from a party in Samoeng early on Sunday morning. Around 10km before the Mae Rim road he was forced to stop his motorcycle by a gang of - you guessed it - Samurais.

They slashed him to pieces with their machetes and he's now in ICU and quite likely to lose his left arm. Bit of a shock you could say, I always thought the Samoeng loop was so beautiful and peaceful, but then I guess I don't ride around it on a motorcycle at 3am....

Edited by KhunDave

There are 4000 gang members registered, but they are basically a bunch of harmless kids. It is not that sensational of a story. But yes, they are called Bin Laden, etc.

The Thaivisa gang has 54,322 registered members, and they are also a bunch of harmless kids with funny nicknames.

DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!

If it's the same Der speigle I'm thinking, they were totally discredited many years ago, when they published "The Hitler diaries"

Wrong, this was Der Stern (The Star). The Spiegel story might be a little exaggerated but still, there is some truth in it.

• 3 weeks later...
Who penned the Der Spiegel article ? Does it say ? When these things get pulled out in UK papers or docs, or US ones for that matter, the ppl responsible for printing such drivel usually get a good (well deserved) dragging through the mud along with their article.

But otherwise good article: Sex, Gangs, Drugs, Murder, Sports, Savior Old Lady. Classic movie tale.

"Aus Chiang Mai berichtet Jürgen Kremb" From Chiang Mai, written by Jurgen Kremb:

Description about him -with photo-, here, next to the article, on the right:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,15...30148-2,00.html

Jurgen Kremb lives in Singapore as a correspondent for 'Der Spiegel' for more than 20 years and writes about Asia. He has a sharp-edged pen which caused him problems with visas to various regional countries. Nevertheless he's still publishing about complicated cultural backgrounds as well as social and political problems in the most populated continent.

(free translation)

LaoPo