Scumbag Farangs

Dr. Burrito

What city/town in Thailand has the highest percentage of scumbag farangs?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After a company weekend in the lovely little town of Pattaya, it occurs to me that this might at least be an interesting topic, if not a bit heated on occasion.

Where do you think the most scumbag farangs are located? Rather than going by volume, I'll go as a percentage of the population of farangs in said community, because I think that has a higher impact on locale perceptions, reactions and ultimately consequences.

I'll state flat out, Pattaya, hands down, gets my vote. The amount of gut to the ground, seedy, dirty, near underaged pedophiliac type activities with boys and girls, sheer public drunkeness on display, speedo (shudder) wearing, passed out on beaches, benches, nursing a nine a.m. hangover beer behavior, was disgusting. My fellow Thai employees, being a very nice sort, made few comments to me about what they saw, but I could see it in their eyes.

Pattaya, being filled, I guess anyway, with a lot more nationalities of farang must get the most dregs we have to offer, Euro, American or otherwise.

Are you guys that live there or are constantly saying what a great place it is really not affected by this? Or are you part of the perception?

Go ahead and fire back at good old Bangkok(my home) or Phuket or Chiang Mai or Samui, but I really think you will win this vote. Of course, I thought Gore would win the last election too, so shows you what I know about voting.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to Pattaya, so I can't comment. But I am curious to know why you seem to have such an arseburning hatred of the place. A huge proportion of you time and effort on this forum goes into slagging it off.

What happened to you that night in Pattaya?

I'd strongly recommend you just avoid the place, go somewhere else, get over it.

:o

Pattay itself can be a nice place to hang out .........but if thatsort of behaviour or site for the eyes bothers you...then forget about going there.

One time I went to Jomtien .....thinking that this may be less in your face than Pattaya itself. Stayed opposite the beach down a smalllane...quite nice really, but when sitting out front eating breakfast one morning at 7am, I watched some guy walk up off the beach in his sluggoes.......yes they are shocking......and take a piss in broad daylight against a fence about 20 metres from where we sat.

I wanted to kick him in the nuts !! :o

.....and I dont care where it is in the world......he still deserves a kick in the nuts. :D

It happens to be a place I have to go to, frequently, so my arse burning comes from the overexposure. That and the fact it used to be a great place, at least in the way I consider somewhere to be a great place.

My work takes me to all sorts of places I'd rather not be but there's no point complaining, I accept that it goes with the job and I like my job.

If it burnt me up that much I'd change my line of work; not spend hours whinging about it.

It happens to be a place I have to go to, frequently, so my arse burning comes from the overexposure. That and the fact it used to be a great place, at least in the way I consider somewhere to be a great place.

My work takes me to all sorts of places I'd rather not be but there's no point complaining, I accept that it goes with the job and I like my job.

If it burnt me up that much I'd change my line of work; not spend hours whinging about it.

Hours!! Hardly. Change my line of work. Never. Wish that it didn't take me to Pattaya so often, yes.

As for how you handle your life, good for you. Me, I'll stick to my style. Venting lowers my blood pressure. :D

I'm a scumbag farang living in Phuket, I regularly get my arse burned by standing up too quickly after sitting naked on a plastic chair at my monitor.

[Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaoooooooouchhhh!]

I did it again. :o

Be careful with your arse, my friend. From what I saw the other night, I quite liked it.

I can kind of see where the original poster is coming from, but I give you this for consideration: If the, erm, lower-end of the adult traveller segment, (sorry, I have a thing for euphemisms) would NOT reliably stick to Pattaya, then they'd be all over the place!

Note that I of course know several very respectable people living in or near Pattaya, and I can actually come up with some pretty nice beaches and hotels close-by. (As in 10 minutes from Pattaya beach, namely Wong Amat beach and the bit on the back-side of Pattaya Hill.) Or further away there's a nice beach where the navy base is on the way to Sattahip.

(So with a little more research, you could have had a much more succesful company weekend outing. It's kind of like having a company dinner in Soi Nana and then complaining about what you find there and how embarassed you were in front of your Thai collegues)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

(So with a little more research, you could have had a much more succesful company weekend outing. It's kind of like having a company dinner in Soi Nana and then complaining about what you find there and how embarassed you were in front of your Thai collegues)

I'd agree with you if I had been in charge of the little foray, but I wasn't. I may be senior here, but I am not the boss and how he spends his cash is his call, not mine. Really, he mainly used it for the inexpensive hotels and evening out, then the next day to some island where it was a nicer environment. I was stuck onshore with my sick wife.

But I get there far more for more directly work related activities than company outings, so I see this place enough as it is. I used to try the old 'When in Rome..' attitude about the place, but over time its grated on me too much for that.

I don't actually hate the place, I just think is long overdue for a big cleanout of useless trash is all.

Besides, I am quite sure there are a whole lot of very decent people, Thai and Farang, living there. Its them have to deal with this garbage on a daily basis.

I live about forty-five minutes from Pattaya and use it weekly for shopping. It’s a useful place to get things that are unavailable elsewhere. They cater for the Farang and therefore I can get many items that other cities might not have i.e. magazines, books, and foodstuff. However we always make sure we are out of there by 5:30pm. It’s like the movie ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’. The place turns into ###### as soon as it gets dark and all the scum emerge.

That said I have met so many people who love the place. Well most of them are young men, so I guess they shouldn’t count.

I was in a hospital recently visiting a relative. One of the nurses told me she had visited Thailand three times. ‘She loved it’ she said. She had stayed in Pattaya each time and never ventured beyond the beaches and shops. ‘But its all SEX’ she informed me, ‘that’s all Thailand is’. I had to be restrained from throttling her. I’m sure she is not the only one that has this limited exposure of Thailand. How frustrating.

Pattaya gets my vote.

hi....

I guess all the spewing and bad behavior are one reason why Mr Thaskin and his friends want to at least insist on some restrictions for out of work drunken Farangs?

Thailand is not a dustbin for antisocial behavior as some people seem to think...for me the rules aren't tight enough....

but if they decide to stay in pataya, then thats fine with me!

amarka

Pattaya is a lovely place and majority that live/visit are great people. It has its problems like any other spot in Thailand. (a small % is what you are actually referring to) I actually think BKK is worse in my eyes.

I agree to a certain extent.... Pattaya cetainly has it's up's and down's, and although Pattaya is not a place I visit very often (from choice), I wouldn't be so harsh about those who do live and visit there.

Bangkok worse than Pattaya.... hmmmm don't know about that one...

totster :o

scumbag farangs are proliferating all over thailand , i havent been to pattaya for 5 years or so but given what is on offer there i would imagine most parts of central pattaya are wall to wall scumbag. (samui and phuket have a fair share of them too.)

any place that has as its main selling point 10,000 bars and 20,000 prostitutes is hardly likely to attract anybody else.

most people who visit these places go for some booze and some broads and enjoy themselves without ruining the place for others , but there are always some who dont know how to behave , and its no use asking scumbag drunks and whoremongers to behave with decorum because that is not how scumbag drunks and whoremongers behave.

if you want to rid pattaya of them, well , to keep flies out of the kitchen just put a bucket of sh1t in the hall , but that is probably how pattaya started in the first place.

the french have always had the right idea when it comes to prostitution , keep it discrete and keep it classy.

I go to Pattaya fairly often for golf and drinks. I like the place, but I've no illusions about it either. All in all though, I think the original post is a bit over the top.

I haven't been to Pattaya for 10 years but there's something to the argument that its useful for sewage to be contained in one place.I suspect that Pattaya could be quite amusing for one night out every few years but who would actually choose to live there permanently?Scumbags is too harsh, just brain dead proles in the main.

Has anyone ever read the letters page of the Pattaya Mail? Always good for a masochistic laugh, even if the newspaper is the world's worst.

i think that khaosan road has more dirty scruffy farangs than pattaya .

those guys there revel in their scruffy ,dirty clothing / attire , dreadlocks abound .

unwashed and smelling dopeheads.

but then again i guess it depends on how you define "scumbags"

its open to interpretation

backpackers can use youth as an excuse for their behaviour, which really is not that bad in most cases. they are just doing what young people with a bit of adventure in their blood do.

scumbags are old enough to know better but due to their inherent selfishness and ignorance know nothing. they exist in a bubble of detritus with little consideration for those who exist outside their squalid little universe.