International Buddhism Center, Doi Suthep

sabaijai

Forum members living in Chiang Mai or those willing to travel to Chiang Mai may be interested to know that the International Buddhism Center at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is expanding.

In addition to daily programs (see below), the IBC offers 10- to 21-day intensive vipassana courses. Current facilities can take up to 20 students, but when a new wing is opened in Feb 2005 they'll be able to take up to 34.

The daily program, open to all free of charge (donations accepted), consists of

1. Information about Buddhism and Meditation - Every day: 9 am - 5 pm.

2. Meditation Demonstration - Every day: 1 - 2 pm.

3. Informal Chat and Discussion - Every day: 1 - 5 pm

4. Participate in Chanting - Every day: 5.30 am, 6.00 pm.

5. Meditation Courses

21-day course

(shorter stays also available)

After the new wing opens, the IBC has plans to teach courses in Buddhism for foreigners, including classes in Pali and in Thai for Buddhism.

The International Buddhism Center (IBC)

http://doisuthep.sirimangalo.org/

http://www.chedi5000.com/

Wat Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

Tel.: +(66) 53 295 012 E-Mail: [email protected]

Sabaijai,

I and some friends will be coming to Chiang Mai around the Xmas holidays and I for one would be very interested in visiting the wat at Doi Suthep. With regard to the daily programme, can I just turn up on the day and what kind of attire is one expected to wear?

I have recently developed an interest in Buddhism so I am still a beginner but would like to learn alot more. I heard about the 21 day foundation courses that they hold but was unaware of the expansion. Being a beginner I would prefer to go check it out first before I decide on a which course to attend perhaps later on next year.

Tanks for posting the above, most informative! :o

If you go to the center's website (either one, that is), you'll find all the info. If you want to attend a residential retreat, there's a form you must fill out. You can begin any day of the week. There are a few rules, including the wearing of white clothing, that have to be followed. It's all there on the website.

If you have trouble accessing the site for any reason, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sawasdee Sabaijai,

I need some direction and sense you could the person to help me on my path ...

I am seeking to become a monk for at least the duration of week (maybe more) in or around the chiang rai/Chiang mai area.

For the last few years I have closley followed the buddhist religion which has aided me in my spiritual search, and understanding of life, in a somewhat confusing world that exists around us. At times I come to a state of peace and understanding, but this exists momentarily until once again i am consumed with the trappings of my thoughts and misunderstandings.

for some time now everything has pointed me into the direction of mediatation and learning a new understanding of the truth. What I seek is a temple where there is english speaking monk(s) who are able to aid me on my quest.

do you know of any suitable places, preferably in chiang rai, but probably in chiang mai where i can undertake this path?

thank-you for any advice you can offer

james

• 2 weeks later...
Sawasdee Sabaijai,

I need some direction and sense you could the person to help me on my path ...

I am seeking to become a monk for at least the duration of week (maybe more) in or around the chiang rai/Chiang mai area. 

For the last few years I have closley followed the buddhist religion which has aided me in my spiritual search, and understanding of life, in a somewhat confusing world that exists around us.  At times I come to a state of peace and understanding, but this exists momentarily until once again i am consumed with the trappings of my thoughts and misunderstandings.

for some time now everything has pointed me into the direction of mediatation and learning a new understanding of the truth.  What I seek is a temple where there is english speaking monk(s) who are able to aid me on my quest.

do you know of any suitable places, preferably in chiang rai, but probably in chiang mai where i can undertake this path?

thank-you for any advice you can offer

james

The temple described in this thread would be happy to arrange ordination for you together with a meditation course.