Buddy Again

h90

I got the Buddy Broadband promotion, it should be available here, now.

I read before postings about it, some good some bad.

Does anyone here know about it?

Actually I also wonder why it should work if True and the others do not work here.

What works at what places depends on the line and the coverage area you're in. There are True's lines (pretty much exclusively True), TOT's lines (ADC, TOT, etc), TT&T's lines (TT&T), etc. True ADSL you can only get on True's lines, but True's lines can also be used for some other ISP's ADSL packages (only some). For example, Loxinfo's packages can be used on both TOT and True lines, but with True lines the speed is limited and you pay about double per month. Buddy, I think, is only for TOT lines in the ADC coverage area... and even then it's separated into two categories, the ones which can use IPTV and the ones which can't (internet-only).

To have adsl coverage in your area, the ISP you intend to use should have their Optical fibre connection to the telephone exchange and also host their DSLAM at the exchange.

It is possible true and others have not reliased the potential of your area and buddy has?

I notice Buddy is advertising very aggresively. everywhere i look i see buddy.

strange is I connected all the companies for internet true, lox,.....

all told me that I am out of area, even my neighbour has true (but he is a very strange guy maybe he just fake).

I let my motorbike delivery guy call true (he was 10 years monk and is highly interested in electronic things and he is a pedant (so now he got promoted to be our accounting), as well he checked the distances to the switchboard (or however that is called) they told him and told me it is shorter than they tell. (he went along the lines with the motorbike).

And than in the middle of the night the security of the village came with 2 promotions for buddy incl. the phone number of the office of the village.

Thats a bit fishy or??

But anyway I dream that buddy is better than IPStar which I use now and they take only 500 Baht/1Mbit connection.

What do you guys think?

To have adsl coverage in your area, the ISP you intend to use should have their Optical fibre connection to the telephone exchange and also host their DSLAM at the exchange.

It is possible true and others have not reliased the potential of your area and buddy has?

I notice Buddy is advertising very aggresively. everywhere i look i see buddy.

signed up for it on saturday.

price 500 Baht for 1Mbit/512K I guess it can't be worse than IPStar.

Now I am not sure this is ADSL or not. I told for the phone line and he told "no you get a new cable".

put the new cable and setup and everything is 160 Baht (also an amount I can risk).

Will keep you informed on how it is....

I am already dreaming about downloading movies, hearing streaming radio and and and

Now I am not sure this is ADSL or not. I told for the phone line and he told "no you get a new cable".

Is BUDDY a fibre optic cable system?

If so it may be more reliable, but will still only be as good as the International Gateway permits. :o

Is BUDDY a fibre optic cable system?

If so it may be more reliable, but will still only be as good as the International Gateway permits. :o

just got the modem delivered and it is an ADSL modem.

They will put a line to my house, what I understand the line goes to the office of the village and there is a gateway in a other system, that might be fibre optic as the have video on demand and TV as well.

On the TV on demand you can fast forward and backwards so it should be fiber optic and just the last few meter to me in copper.

If that is true, I have no problem with to many user on the adsl cable (I am the only one), no problem with the fiber optic cable, just their system should run good and the international link should be OK

Also they called me, poor english, but extremly helpfull on questions they didn't just say yes yes, instead they tried to give me a real answer.

So till now everything looks good.

today the end of the story:

The buddy installation guys come.

Add one cable 85 meters long from the office of the village to me.

Asked if I need installation in house, I told no.

The cable is as big as our electric cable.

Installed the phone line and the modem without any problems.

Could not log in with username and password

called them, the lady spoke perfect english, had all my details on the screen with I am just telling my name (and it is a difficult name for europeans and terrible for Thais).

guided me true it.

I paied 650 baht: 500 for the package, 100 the charge for take care the cable for the village and 150 for installation and modem (500+100+150=650??? well if they think so)

I paid the 1Mbit/512 package. Connection tells me 2048 (I thought just to the village-office).

OK, now we start testing......

First impression: I can surf webpages faster than I can read the text (I am former IPStar customer and used to that my eyes/brain can do more bps than IPStar). It seems the rendering of my browser is limiting the speed (using laptop and reduced CPU speed to min).

OK so far so good, now the more difficult things

Got told that filesharing is at max of 5k/s limited so try bittorrent (for the mod: of course only legal stuff, like linux....)

OK got a lit confused, due to the fact that whenever I click a link I get a new page in a second (used to first click the link and than read the remaining page (IPStar) so I am finish till the next page comes). Found two large bittorent files to download.

Now I have at between 5pm and 6.07pm constant between 193 and 207 k/s.

One concern is that it is just the first week so good (old thai trick that customer don´t cancel)

and the weired thing: I asked them for if they send me an invoice ever month: they told no they don´t have invoices, I must buy these cards??? Will find that out later...

I now understand what Buddy has done for you...

They put up a dslam in the villages office, to wich all the users in the village can connect. This dslam is set at a 2048 kbps speedlimit per line, hence the indication of the 2048 connection you get.

At 85 meter distance the adsl system can easily connect at 8192 kbps (8Mbps) if allowed...

That dslam probably gets it internet connection through another adsl modem directly to the telephone exchange, or maybe through a dedicated fiber cable (depending how big the village/how many potential subscribers)

Your speed will depend heavilly on how many subscribers they have in the village, since all your access will have to go through the one line between the village office and the ISP...

CAT has done this for some condo buildings in Pattaya, where people can't get direct telephone lines. So they arrange one main cable for the dslam they install in the condo office, and then hook up every condo unit to that system....

Edited by monty

I now understand what Buddy has done for you...

They put up a dslam in the villages office, to wich all the users in the village can connect. This dslam is set at a 2048 kbps speedlimit per line, hence the indication of the 2048 connection you get.

At 85 meter distance the adsl system can easily connect at 8192 kbps (8Mbps) if allowed...

That dslam probably gets it internet connection through another adsl modem directly to the telephone exchange, or maybe through a dedicated fiber cable (depending how big the village/how many potential subscribers)

Your speed will depend heavilly on how many subscribers they have in the village, since all your access will have to go through the one line between the village office and the ISP...

CAT has done this for some condo buildings in Pattaya, where people can't get direct telephone lines. So they arrange one main cable for the dslam they install in the condo office, and then hook up every condo unit to that system....

I think you are right: potential customer: 20, I see mostly old people, my street (cable) maybe 2 potential customer :o

At the moment it is not even up. Anyway, no big deal - I was just mildly interested and I do thank you for the link.

Peter

www.buddybb.com

the page is not very helpfull.....

I just checked and it is up from here.

Edit: it links me to www.buddybb.net maybe also try that one.

Edited by h90