Taxi From Arrivals

chutai

At Suvarnabhumi you actually go down one floor after you get out thru the arrivals gate.

Last month I took a cab from the new airport to the Thong Lor area (Sukhumvit Soi 55) and paid 163 baht + 50 baht airport tax, and to my surprise no highway toll even though we were driving on what looked like a highway to me most of the way.

If your destination is the lower numbers of Sukhumvit (soi 11 or the like) the situation might be different.

Anyway, keep looking thru this forum, there have been other threads on this.

At Suvarnabhumi you actually go down one floor after you get out thru the arrivals gate.

Last month I took a cab from the new airport to the Thong Lor area (Sukhumvit Soi 55) and paid 163 baht + 50 baht airport tax, and to my surprise no highway toll even though we were driving on what looked like a highway to me most of the way.

If your destination is the lower numbers of Sukhumvit (soi 11 or the like) the situation might be different.

Thanks. Much obliged.

He said Departure! So you go UP a few floors. If he follows your instructions he'll end up on the taxi Mafia level. And, no, you don't pay any 50 Baht when you catch a taxi up there. Only the AOT doesn't like it. So be quick. Look a bit around and you'll sure see somebody just arriving. The taxis can't wait there. But they're only too happy to pick somebody up there. Don't be intimitated by those security 'copswannabes'. They have no authority to ask for anything. Only thing they can do is to wistle blow taxis away.

Edited by dwwin

He said Departure! So you go UP a few floors. If he follows your instructions he'll end up on the taxi Mafia level. And, no, you don't pay any 50 Baht when you catch a taxi up there. Only the AOT doesn't like it. So be quick. Look a bit around and you'll sure see somebody just arriving. The taxis can't wait there. But they're only too happy to pick somebody up there. Don't be intimitated by those security 'copswannabes'. They have no authority to ask for anything. Only thing they can do is to wistle blow taxis away.

Cheers mate. To be honest I did wonder when he mentioned the 50 bht airport tax. So it's basically the same set-up as it was at Don Muang. Up a floor?

PS Them and their whistles everywhere :o

Cheers mate. To be honest I did wonder when he mentioned the 50 bht airport tax. So it's basically the same set-up as it was at Don Muang. Up a floor?

PS Them and their whistles everywhere :o

It's a bit more than just 'a' level. DM was easier. Cobra Swamp escalators, although extremely strange arranged, will bring you up there eventually. Check that he turns the meter on but I've never had a problem with this. I ask politely if he's willing to go to my destination and I've always got an enthusiastic nod.

Edited by dwwin

hi folks,

anyone knows by chance a bus service and eventually schedule from Suvannaphumi to Pattaya?

Busse leave regularly from the transportation center stop number 13 on the white airport shuttle line.

I think someone else actually had posted a complete schedual somewhere else.

Only problem is I think they stop running about 11:00 pm.

On arrival I always used to go up to departure at Don Muang and get a taxi from there. How's that work at Suvarnabhumi and about how much is the fare about on meter to Sukhumvit? Cheers.

BE CAREFUL.

As soon as you get out in arrivals, there are expensive limosine services (called "taxi service"), and their hawkers will INTENTIONALLY MISLEAD YOU and say "Taxi, Sir?" so that you think that you have to go with them for the taxi.

That is NOT the taxi as you know it, but it is instead the taxi "service", which is a luxury car with a driver. They know that many travellers are confused about this, and will take advantage of that confusion to close the deal. After you book with them and are out in the car, you will see the "regular" cheaper taxis which you actually originally wanted, but it will be too late by then.

And then here's another rip-off:

1) Even if you get to the regular taxi, make sure they turn on the meter BEFORE you get in. Even if you hire them through the "official" booth which has a sign which says the driver will use the meter, do not automatically believe it.

2) The booth will give you a stub which states your destination, and also contains important details of the taxi you boarded so you can report abusive taxis. The taxi driver ALREADY HAS A COPY of this stub.

Therefore, do NOT give it to him. He may pretend that he's not sure where you're going so he will ask for that stub from you "so that he can see" where you're going, and then he will keep it so that you can't report him if anything goes wrong. He already has a copy of this, so do not give it to him because it's your protection and he knows it.

BE CAREFUL.

As soon as you get out in arrivals, there are expensive limosine services (called "taxi service"), and their hawkers will INTENTIONALLY MISLEAD YOU and say "Taxi, Sir?" so that you think that you have to go with them for the taxi.

That is NOT the taxi as you know it, but it is instead the taxi "service", which is a luxury car with a driver. They know that many travellers are confused about this, and will take advantage of that confusion to close the deal. After you book with them and are out in the car, you will see the "regular" cheaper taxis which you actually originally wanted, but it will be too late by then.

And then here's another rip-off:

1) Even if you get to the regular taxi, make sure they turn on the meter BEFORE you get in. Even if you hire them through the "official" booth which has a sign which says the driver will use the meter, do not automatically believe it.

2) The booth will give you a stub which states your destination, and also contains important details of the taxi you boarded so you can report abusive taxis. The taxi driver ALREADY HAS A COPY of this stub.

Therefore, do NOT give it to him. He may pretend that he's not sure where you're going so he will ask for that stub from you "so that he can see" where you're going, and then he will keep it so that you can't report him if anything goes wrong. He already has a copy of this, so do not give it to him because it's your protection and he knows it.

Cheers mate. But I'm aware of all that. I was just asking if the arrivals is the same at Suvarnabhumi for us regular departure taxi avoiders as it was at DM. ? Seems- judging by dwwin's reply - that it may just be a bit more of a hassle.

ARRIVAL hel_l. WHAT A SHAM! YOU ALL MUST READ THIS

I arrived in the new airport for the first time. I too thought the big, inviting, and easy to find "official taxi" sign meant a real taxi and approached it since hey, it looked official and was ideally positioned. I was told 900 baht for the fare and then knew I was being had and abruptly left. I bet many trusting souls aren't so fortunate to know better and get scammed. A regular metered taxi downtown is 200-300 baht.

Then I found my way down and outside to the taxi queue. It was not real easy to find, but when I saw the big line I knew this had to be it. Granted, Don Muang was at times bad, but this was horrible! There were about 150 people in the queue I estimated and after a time determined there was another queue down the line so I took a chance and walked there, but again, about 150 people there too. And here's the good part, there were no taxi's at all at the queues!!! Occasionally a single one would arrive or drive past, but it was the slowest trickle you could imagine. I started counting and saw there were at most 2 per minute. I did the math. There was no question about it, I would be waiting in line for a taxi for *hours*. It looked hopeless and so after a time I made my second decision to lose my place in line...

I took a chance and went upstairs to departures, "don muang style", figuring the cost vs rewards scenario could pay off if I could score one but feared it might be a zoo up there. I made my way up and out to departures and amazingly the opposite scenario--it was a complete buyers market!!! Tons of empty taxi's loitering around waiting for the "smart" people to come up. I had 3 taxi's begging me to their car as I approached!!! And of course up here there is no 50 baht surcharge. It was sooo nice to hop right into a cab and I felt for those 300 people (and growing) stuck down there in the arrivals queue for what would be hours if nothing changed, but thankfully I didn't have to stay there to find out.

Lesson learned, don't bother using the "official" taxi booth, don't bother with the arrival taxi queue, but instead go straight up to departures.

ARRIVAL hel_l. WHAT A SHAM! YOU ALL MUST READ THIS

I arrived in the new airport for the first time. I too thought the big, inviting, and easy to find "official taxi" sign meant a real taxi and approached it since hey, it looked official and was ideally positioned. I was told 900 baht for the fare and then knew I was being had and abruptly left. I bet many trusting souls aren't so fortunate to know better and get scammed. A regular metered taxi downtown is 200-300 baht.

Then I found my way down and outside to the taxi queue. It was not real easy to find, but when I saw the big line I knew this had to be it. Granted, Don Muang was at times bad, but this was horrible! There were about 150 people in the queue I estimated and after a time determined there was another queue down the line so I took a chance and walked there, but again, about 150 people there too. And here's the good part, there were no taxi's at all at the queues!!! Occasionally a single one would arrive or drive past, but it was the slowest trickle you could imagine. I started counting and saw there were at most 2 per minute. I did the math. There was no question about it, I would be waiting in line for a taxi for *hours*. It looked hopeless and so after a time I made my second decision to lose my place in line...

I took a chance and went upstairs to departures, "don muang style", figuring the cost vs rewards scenario could pay off if I could score one but feared it might be a zoo up there. I made my way up and out to departures and amazingly the opposite scenario--it was a complete buyers market!!! Tons of empty taxi's loitering around waiting for the "smart" people to come up. I had 3 taxi's begging me to their car as I approached!!! And of course up here there is no 50 baht surcharge. It was sooo nice to hop right into a cab and I felt for those 300 people (and growing) stuck down there in the arrivals queue for what would be hours if nothing changed, but thankfully I didn't have to stay there to find out.

Lesson learned, don't bother using the "official" taxi booth, don't bother with the arrival taxi queue, but instead go straight up to departures.

WELCOME TO THAILAND! THE RIPOFFS START HERE.

Big obvious sign and touts allowed to direct you to the 900bht taxi service, or force you to wait hours for a regular taxi.

Someone that ordered the sign placment is in on the scam, no doubt.

The customers are directed to the expensive service....

The taxies are upstairs but get chased away by security. Hmmm. Only Taxi Mafia is allowed?

After checking in at the Hotel, they meet the ripoff artists, posing as taxi drivers, outside each and every hotel.

You see them lurking just centimeters from the property line at the good hotels, hasseling the guests.

The doorman, hotel manager all see this but don't dare interfere.

The TOT does nothing about it too.

Appalling