Jobless with degrees rises again to 220,000

webfact

18 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Same in the UK - a lot of people take degrees in wishy-washy liberal subjects, learning skills which are useless in the real world. Then they wonder why they can't get a job or have to work zero hour contracts in McDonalds.

It was't the same for my generation, a degree demonstrated a level of ability/intelligence. That was when around 1% of students went to University and were awarded honours degrees. Now there are so many places of further education called 'Universities' that it makes a so called University degree worthless.

16 hours ago, Ossy said:

If you ran a business – selling second-hand cars, let’s say – and you needed another effective salesman/woman, where would you look first; at the graduate pool or the non-graduate pool? Similarly, who would you expect to put in the best day’s shift; a graduate or a non-graduate?

Perhaps I’m on my own, here and, for some reason, guilty of casting an over-cynical view of Thai education, from grass roots, where ‘good’ or ‘bad’ attitudes are born, upwards. The sad truth is that current Thai education standards are at the bottom end of the table for so-called 'developed' nations. There appears to be little accountability for maintaining acceptable standards. Inspections that are quite literally, feared, even by high-performing teachers and lecturers in most other countries, are reduced, in Thailand – as I’ve been told by a teacher of 30 years – to an opportunity to talk shop, eat and compare FB walls. Not good.

Returning to the issue of graduate employment/unemployment; give me a lively and motivated boy or girl, who’s proved him/herself for the past few years, since secondary school . . . ANYTIME. I'd expect to be showing the door to the graduates and to see them returning to their i-phone game as they get back in Mum's car.

If you run a second hand car business you don't want to employ honest hard working people, you are looking someone like the owner who can spout BS till the cows come home.