Resort hotel in Hua Hin alleged of cheating holiday-goers

rooster59

Resort hotel in Hua Hin alleged of cheating holiday-goers

hotel.jpg

A group of about 10 holiday-goers yesterday lodged complaint with the Consumer Protection Police Division (CPPD) accusing a resort hotel in Hua Hin of fraud.

The group led by Thanat Waranont, 37, told Pol Maj-Gen Prasert Pattana, CPPD commander on Sept 8 that they bought the resort hotel packages at a tourism fair organised by the Tourism Authority of Thailand and a pet fair at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre in May this year.

The package deal cost 999-10,000 baht, depending on the days of staying, and is valid for one year. But what attracted to buy the package deals was because it allowed pets in.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/resort-hotel-hua-hin-alleged-cheating-holiday-goers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-09

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

And yet the consumer protection police division can't/won't name the hotel due to absurd defamation laws and therefore are unable to protect consumers from further scams. Utterly ridiculous.

I lived in H/H several years ago , had I stayed at this resort ?  I thought I would look to see, nup , time wasted.

5 hours ago, Gregster said:

If they paid with a credit card they will get a full refund

Probably not, it is not the credit cards business to check wheher you bought something sustainable. Only if you have a special insurance you can expect a refund.

Probably not, it is not the credit cards business to check wheher you bought something sustainable. Only if you have a special insurance you can expect a refund.

You're wrong.

FYI If a merchant does not provide advertised goods or services your bank can reverse the credit card transaction.

Google "chargeback".

Hope this helps.

15 minutes ago, Gregster said:

You're wrong.

FYI If a merchant does not provide advertised goods or services your bank can reverse the credit card transaction.

Google "chargeback".

Hope this helps.

Do you get the same protection from a credit card issued by a Thai bank?

6 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Do you believe everything you read on Thaivisa?

Maybe we will hear from some one with actual experience? 

Whether or not a credit card offers that facility may be a moot point. If the resort has gone out of business, the merchant services (credit card facility) would have been cancelled. Thus, the credit card company may deny a refund. Also, I believe there is a time limit on chargebacks. And if there is no company to charge back to, the OP may be SOL. There are too many unknowns here. 

My home country cc would issue a full refund for product or services not provided, and not of my fault.

Using my home country cc here and getting a refund typically takes 4-6 weeks. Back home immediate or at most a day or two.

Why get a cc from the micky mouse banks here when you get a real one back home?

To be honest ....  I wouldn't like to be counting on getting a refund / chargeback from the Bank.  Even though in normal circumstances you would probably be covered,  but the company closed down as such insolvent, so there is no one for the bank to chase ....  secondly,  TIT so chances are even slimmer.

my guess .....    10-20%  chance of getting any back.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

To be honest ....  I wouldn't like to be counting on getting a refund / chargeback from the Bank.  Even though in normal circumstances you would probably be covered,  but the company closed down as such insolvent, so there is no one for the bank to chase ....  secondly,  TIT so chances are even slimmer.

This sounds like a pausible outcome, since getting money back here rarely happens.

It's the company's BANK from which your bank is reversing the transaction, not the insolvent merchant.

2 minutes ago, Gregster said:

It's the company's BANK from which your bank is reversing the transaction, not the insolvent merchant.

No ....  your bank doesn't care what bank the company uses or used.  Your bank can only try to obtain the refund from the merchant or hotel company... ?

correct   ??

8 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Looking forward to hearing what better info you will provide us after directing your question to a Thai BANK ....rather than a Thai forum (that you disbelieve)

Please re-read my posts. I don't have actual experience with Thai cc and neither do you, but you profess the answer based on an 2011 post.

Again, hopefully, we will hear from someone who does.

No ....  your bank doesn't care what bank the company uses or used.  Your bank can only try to obtain the refund from the merchant or hotel company... ?
correct   ??

Your bank will not try to obtain funds from a merchant or hotel company. It reverses the transaction from merchant's or hotel's bank. Bearing in mind that time limits apply.

Please re-read my posts. I don't have actual experience with Thai cc and neither do you, but you profess the answer based on an 2011 post.

Again, hopefully, we will hear from someone who does.

I never said that you did have actual experience with a Thai cc. I am suggesting that you direct your question to a Thai bank if you're not going to believe what others have posted on here.

I look forward to hearing what the Thai bank will advise you...

Just now, Gregster said:

I never said that you did have actual experience with a Thai cc. I am suggesting that you direct your question to a Thai bank if you're not going to believe what others have posted on here.

I look forward to hearing what the Thai bank will advise you...

You are obviously are new here. What do you think the bank would tell you? And maybe the actual experience is not the same?

You are obviously are new here. What do you think the bank would tell you? And maybe the actual experience is not the same?

CC providers policies such as Visa and MasterCard are the same worldwide. Ask the Thai bank what provider they use. Doing so will help answer your original question.

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 12:55 AM, inThailand said:

Do you get the same protection from a credit card issued by a Thai bank?

Apparently from my experience and knowledge only one country has not signed up to these conditions (cannot remember the name of the technical description) and that country is France. Otherwise as far I know reimbursement is world wide when purchased with a credit card.

Archived